Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:52   #1

Boat: Maxum 2800 SCI Cruiser
Anniversary Trip ?

O my husband and I have always dreamed of sailing the islands and our 15th wedding Anniversary is coming up in May 2012. So I'm needing some suggestions, advice, etc for our first trip.

I know we would like to charter a crewed boat, but what are some things we need to know about? We love boating but have never chartered a boat before. Plus he has much experience in traveling, where as I have never been out of the Continental USA. Personally, I would also love to learn how to sail, I've only ran power boats before.
Rdhdandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Anniversary trip?

A lot of folks who've chartered regularly feel that the British Virgin Islands are the ideal location for a first time experience. It's easy to get there, the islands are close together, the waters protected (for the most part), good restaurants, and good snorkeling and things to do on shore. Hard to beat!

There are several charter companies operating there, and most will offer a captain. Or you could find a crewed charter offered by an independent operator. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice here. In the meantime, use the Cruisers Forum search feature (click on the link in my signature line) to search the archives. Good luck, and welcome to CF.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:05   #3

Thanks!! Can't wait to started searching! I'd love to plan our trip and get it ready for a Christmas Suprise!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
A lot of folks who've chartered regularly feel that the British Virgin Islands are the ideal location for a first time experience. It's easy to get there, the islands are close together, the waters protected (for the most part), good restaurants, and good snorkeling and things to do on shore. Hard to beat!

There are several charter companies operating there, and most will offer a captain. Or you could find a crewed charter offered by an independent operator. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice here. In the meantime, use the Cruisers Forum search feature (click on the link in my signature line) to search the archives. Good luck, and welcome to CF.
Ok I'm on an iPhone app for the CF, you wouldn't happen to know where that "search" feature is would you?

I have a few brochures for Moorings & Festiva Sailing Vacations, but I'm not so sure I want to go with either of them. Where else could I find some independent operators as you suggested?

Also is there a better time of year to go over any other time of the year? Our Anniversary is in May, but I've heard a lot of boats are gone or leaving the area about that time of year????? Is this true???
Old 07-01-2012, 06:36   #5

Hey I just found the search section. It's looking promising regarding the research on charters. But still need help on the time of year questions! Any suggestions!?
Old 08-01-2012, 17:41   #6
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Re: Anniversary Trip ?

We chartered mid June to early July 2010 and late May to mid June in 2009. We used Conch Charter both times (highly recommend them) http://www.conchcharters.com/ . I suggest that you make sure that your charter falls over a full moon and that you go to a full moon party at Trellis bay. Also try to coordinate with the Levrick Bay Dinghy Pirate Poker run. (Look both up on line).
The weather when we were there was very nice, most of the days we had about 15 - 20 knots of wind, pretty steady so the sailing was good. While this sounds like a lot of wind it was really nice on the beaches and in the bars/restaurants (did not feel windy in town). It was overcast on a few days, and my wife says it rained about an hour a day most days, one day it rained overnight, however considering the 80 degree water and air temp and that we were swimming/snorkeling all the time it really was not an issue.
We had a 40 foot center cockpit the first year and a Beneteau 473 last year. With two couples it was a fantastic time. We REALLY need to do this again!
If you have more specific questions, feel free to contact me directly through this forum. I should answer within a day or so.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote