Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 18:15   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
Annapolis to Philadelphia

I am looking for advice and information from folks who have made the trip to Philadelphia from the Chesapeake, or, folks who are just familiar with the Wilmington to Philadelphia area. I realize this isn't a huge adventure by most folks standards. However, I am just looking for a "mini-adventure" and thinking four or five days on the water, interrupted by a good baseball game and pub crawl through history might be a great trip. I just don't want to get stuck motoring 6 knots into constant 5 knot river flow all day just to find out transient slips are either impossible to find or ridiculously expensive....

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

Sincerely,
Joe P.
joepaiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:17   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Annapolis to Philadelphia

We've not "turned left" on the Delaware, Joe, but the trip from Annapolis through the C&D has always seemed relatively straightforward.

Our stopping points on that leg (roughly midway, on our trips to Lewes) have been at either Chesapeake City, Summit North marina, or Delaware City. No surprises at any of those. At Chesapeake City, we've stayed on both sides (and Shaefer's on the north side is open again), the south side bight being more protected.

You'd want to time your passage with tide/current in mind...

-Chris
Old 22-01-2013, 16:55   #3

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

I might add to Ranger's post that if you were to turn left, heading up past Philadelphia, about 7 hours upriver is Dredge Harbor, where lies the highest concentration of yacht-service places on the whole river. At Dredge Harbor Marina, Clark's Landing, Winter's Sailing Center, Riverside Marina, and many other contractors and service yards you can get anything & everything done by some of the best people you will meet anywhere (including me ). There are great places to eat and access to the NJ-side light rail system as well. Shame this haven for yachties is so far from the canal-- and so little known!
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 17:25   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It could potentially be a motor fighting the current all the way, but you can catch favorable tidal currents past Philly. Need to plan your trip for a favorable current through the C&D Canal too.
Old 25-01-2013, 13:28   #5

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It could potentially be a motor fighting the current all the way, but you can catch favorable tidal currents past Philly. Need to plan your trip for a favorable current through the C&D Canal too.
I might add to Kettlewell's point that the C&D is eminently suited to traversing at night, being well-lit and essentially straight (it's been compared to driving on the parkway). I know many who have done this. One friend regularly powersailed from Delran down to the Canal, at which time he went to bed and turned the helm over to his wife who steered straight down the Canal; five hours later he woke up and took the con to continue to Annapolis. Delran-to-Annapolis can be done
easily in under 24 sailing hours.

Of course anyone conning a yacht at night takes on other risks; but as far as navigation the C&D is one of the safest places you could do this.
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 18:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If you are looking to visit downtown Philly you could stay at the Penns Landing docks. I forget the price, kinda moderate but no services. The occasional super yacht comes in. There are a few regulars in summer and the docks were recently redone. Lots of foot traffic. Would be interesting on the Fourth of July for the fireworks. And the marine museum is right there.

https://activecaptain.com/quickLists...PA&i=515267973

From what I hear all the other downtown marinas have very little water and are subject to wash from passing commercial traffic.

We are in Delaware City but have not gone up river very far. I suppose you could go up the Christiana a bit, anchor and dinghy up into Wilmington where there is a nice river walk with lots of dining.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 07:09   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaofburlingt View Post

I might add to Kettlewell's point that the C&D is eminently suited to traversing at night, being well-lit and essentially straight (it's been compared to driving on the parkway). I know many who have done this. One friend regularly powersailed from Delran down to the Canal, at which time he went to bed and turned the helm over to his wife who steered straight down the Canal; five hours later he woke up and took the con to continue to Annapolis. Delran-to-Annapolis can be done easily in under 24 sailing hours.

Of course anyone conning a yacht at night takes on other risks; but as far as navigation the C&D is one of the safest places you could do this.

Sometimes big cargo ships pass through the canal at night. We were docked at Schaeffer's one night (circa 2003-ish) when a Toyota car carrier came through; impressive!

-Chris

Tags
annapolis