Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 06:10   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Angelfish Creek Crossing ?

I have heard and read a lot of contradictory stories about crossing from the ICW to Hawk Channel through Angelfish Creek. My boat has a draft of 5'...
And I would like to know if a 5' boat could pass (at high tide I suppose) without problem ? My main concern is the western entrance of the pass where according to charts there is a shoal.
Anybody wants to share his local knowledge with me? Thank you
Old 14-04-2011, 06:58   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Angelfish Creek Crossing?

I go through there all the time. I have a 5' draft. I am very reluctant to go through at the low, although it's somewhat difficult to figure out exactly when the low is. Controlling depth is just inside #2. It's only a short stretch (probably 50-100 feet). I estimate it to be 5-1/2', but as I have alluded in previous posts, I believe it to be shoaling. The local knowledge cited in Active Captain seems a bit excessive (4-1/2'), but as I said, since there is no tide table entry for that particular spot, it's a little hard to know when the actual low tide is, and even then, you'd have to be going through at MLW to know for sure.

Overall, I would think you would be safe with 5' at MLW, but I would avoid MLW if possible, and certainly not any negative tides. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:07   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
I go through there all the time. I have a 5' draft. I am very reluctant to go through at the low, although it's somewhat difficult to figure out exactly when the low is. Controlling depth is just inside #2. It's only a short stretch (probably 50-100 feet). I estimate it to be 5-1/2', but as I have alluded in previous posts, I believe it to be shoaling. The local knowledge cited in Active Captain seems a bit excessive (4-1/2'), but as I said, since there is no tide table entry for that particular spot, it's a little hard to know when the actual low tide is, and even then, you'd have to be going through at MLW to know for sure.

Overall, I would think you would be safe with 5' at MLW, but I would avoid MLW if possible, and certainly not any negative tides. pete
Thank you Pete.
Tides: having the Pumpkin Key tables would be enough precision, don't you think so?
Error Message Page

What about the entry (west side?) is it difficult when not familiar with it?
Alec
Old 14-04-2011, 07:34   #4

Obviously Pumpkin Key is close, Christmas Point is closer, neither of their values are correct for the point of controlling depth (inside #2).

You'll have no problem at the W end as long as you follow good nav procedures. Make sure #14 and #12 are lined up, and stay near them. Stay in the center of the channel (mostly unmarked, or only one lateral mark). But there is little to worry about until you approach #2.

It would be good if you could post your observations after you go through. pete
Old 14-04-2011, 07:41   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you Pete. Very valuable indications. I'll let you know my own experience about it. Not before after summer anyway.
Old 14-04-2011, 16:41   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Alecadi, Angelfish Creek is no problem entering/exiting from East or West with a 5 foot draft. We have made this passage many times and there are a few things to remember: 1)When entering from Hawk's Channel be certain there are no sportfisherman sharing the approach with you. The entrance is narrow and there is solid coral on both sides of the channel. A careless wake would throw you aground and certainly damage your boat, 2.)If entering from the bay, stay in the well marked channel, coming from the North ,and favor the Pumpkin Key side for your approach. There is at least 8- 10 feet of water at low tide. There is a shoal to the north of the channel on bayside, and 3.) if you have the sun overhead, do not miss the beautiful coral, sponges and wildlife in the Creek. It is nothing short of spectacular. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 08:57   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Finally we crossed it on Saturday at dawn .. not so difficult finally. Was easy. We get through without any difficulty. Tks all for the tips.
Old 30-05-2011, 10:51   #8

Hi Alecadi: if you still remember, it would be good to know the predicted depths and your measured controlling depth as you went through. best, pete
Old 30-05-2011, 16:46   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Angelfish Creek Crossing ?

Pete: Saturday 28th, at 6;15 am.
Tide still going up
West side entry: at the marker 8.5 feet, from marker to midway channel: 7 to 12
at the east end around 6

That's what I remember
Alec
Old 31-05-2011, 06:25   #10

Thanks Alec: so you got 6 feet at #2, which is the controlling depth. You said "tide still coming up." Approximately how long after the projected low was that? thanks
Old 31-05-2011, 08:35   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pete,
For what I remember we had still a little less than 2 hrs before high tide.
The low was a 2:30 am
The tide that day was not strong (low coeff)
Alec
Old 13-06-2011, 00:31   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 39i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi
Pete,
For what I remember we had still a little less than 2 hrs before high tide.
The low was a 2:30 am
The tide that day was not strong (low coeff)
Alec
I have been through there with plenty of water on half tide and I draw 5 ft. It is beautiful inside. Shallower on the west side. Sorry I don't have the specifics.
Ajsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 12:13   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Rock:
Finally it's not a legend there actually is an obstacle at the ocean end of the channel
I talk on Saturday with a cruiser at the SSCA Gam of western Florida who had a bad encounter with this obstacle. It's probably the remnant of an old buoy/markers underwater.
He told me that it is very near the red #2 . So stay near the green one .