Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 04:44   #1

Ancorages N or NW side of Grenada

Does have experience anchoring in Gouyave, Dequesne, or Sauteurs in Grenada. I'm going N from True Blue and would like to overnight well north of St Geroge if I can find a safe spot. Thanks
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:33   #2

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Ancorages N or NW side of Grenada

Myself and others already replied to your existing previous thread here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-222713.html
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 06:22   #3

Thank you for your contribution, if I'm correct you picked up a directional error East vs West. Other than that you had nothing to contribute, and still don't. Some of the info given was 20 years old, I'm looking for current info. I posted again to get that current info. Sorry if I posted in the incorrect site.
Old 22-08-2019, 06:33   #4

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

From other thread.
This info is from july 2018.
From myself.

Halifax Harbour is on the west side of Grenada and is the last suitable anchorage that far north.
If you go in there watch out for the power lines.
The bay is very deep. Go in toward de power lines. You will see the bottom going up to about 15 feet. It will drop down again to 25-30 feet very fast. The bottom is like a big speed bumps. So drop the hook on top or the shoreside of the bump. Do attach a buoy to you anchor so the local fisherman don't drop there net over it.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 06:35   #5

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeelliott View Post
Thank you for your contribution, if I'm correct you picked up a directional error East vs West. Other than that you had nothing to contribute, and still don't. Some of the info given was 20 years old, I'm looking for current info. I posted again to get that current info. Sorry if I posted in the incorrect site.
Just bump and clarify your original thread instead of creating new threads.

And yeah, the whole east vs west thing is quite important you know...

I also linked to free web charts to help your passage planning.

Also, I don't think that the shape of the island, the availability of the small islets for protection, the direction of the trade winds, or the likely swell has changed in 20 years, but ok...

I specifically wrote that I have anchored off northern Grenada in the past and posted a screenshot of the location that even had anchorages marked.

Yet somehow you think that is 'nothing to contribute'
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 14:49   #6

Boat: PDQ 44i

We think of Halifax as a day anchorage only. There isn’t much room there, and the holding is not good. We can recommend no anchorage north of Basejour/ Dragon/grand Mal area.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 15:03   #7

Thank you double wide.
Old 22-08-2019, 15:06   #8
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

We anchored in Gouyave in 2017 to visit the fish friday. We were the only boat anchored there and even in the light winds of this night it was a little bit rolly. Not much of a problem, but this anchorage is only useable in very settled weather.
Old 22-08-2019, 15:35   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

North of Halifax Harbor the wind and swell often wrap around the island and none of the points or rocky projections offer any protection. Not Gouyave Bay and certainly not as far N as Duquesne in any normal trade wind conditions.

However, Corn Store Bay on Ronde Island is only 7 miles further and might be OK. We have not stopped there.

We did however make a passage from St Georges, leaving at 07:00, to Tyrrel Bay on Carricou, arriving by 15:00, it was a nice sail in brisk winds once out of the lee of Genada. After checking in you could come back I suppose.

I know there are some interesting and beautiful stops in the Grenadines south of Carracou as I am sure many other CF commenters will attest.
Old 23-08-2019, 06:53   #10

Boat: Outbound 46

We routinely sail from Prickly Bay on the south coast to Tyrrel Bay on Carriacou. Generally takes us 7-8 hours, so you need an early start. We have stopped at St. George's or Dragon Bay once or twice, but both can be rolly and we prefer to go straight to Carriacou.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 06:46   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I have stopped several times at Ronde island and have enjoyed it each time. Most times we have the island to ourselves.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada