Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2014, 07:17   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Anchoring on Grand Bahamas Banks

Hi all: would like to sail to the Berrys from Bimini, but I am normally single handed, and 90nm is a bit of a long stretch under anything but ideal conditions (when do those happen?). Are there any known places to anchor on that route? Obviously, there is no real protection from wind so conditions would have to be right, I just more concerned about the bottom and especially not destroying it. thanks, pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 07:36   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: anchoring on Grand Bahamas Banks

I have done it in the past several times. It is a magical thing to do on a very calm clear night. I usually head about a mile or 2 south of the rhumb line between north rock and NW channel light and anchor in 15-20' of water. It's mostly sand with a few scattered coral heads. Plenty of clear sand patches to drop the hook in. No worries about damaging coral etc. Make sure to leave some lights on, as there is small inter island commercial traffic through the area day and night. Sleep well, as there is nothing to drag into . If it's rough I would probably opt to continue on to Chub Cay, you won't get any sleep if you do stop.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 08:12   #3

It is magical, As always when sailing, weather, weather, weather. The Berrys are awsome. Have fun
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 13:36   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

pete, you can drop the anchor anywhere but do keep in mind, it can become, very, very, very uncomfortable if the weather turns. Also be sure and head a mile or two OFF the courselines to anchor and put up lots and lots of lights at night. The supply boats, mail boats and fishing boats run all night at full speed and they're mostly on autopilot. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 13:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
I have done it in the past several times. It is a magical thing to do on a very calm clear night. I usually head about a mile or 2 south of the rhumb line between north rock and NW channel light and anchor in 15-20' of water. It's mostly sand with a few scattered coral heads. Plenty of clear sand patches to drop the hook in. No worries about damaging coral etc. Make sure to leave some lights on, as there is small inter island commercial traffic through the area day and night. Sleep well, as there is nothing to drag into . If it's rough I would probably opt to continue on to Chub Cay, you won't get any sleep if you do stop.
I anchored once, had a decent breeze blowing, but the fetch wasnt far from the direction of the wind. The 2 ft chop was a bit uncomfortable but OK. Sand bottom, the good news is you can sleep well.. heck if you drag some... so what!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 08:31   #6

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Anchoring on Grand Bahamas Banks

It's been our experience that 99% of the time we rock and roll when anchored on the bank. Even though it's a long day, we usually keep going until we reach a decent anchorage. We usually travel at 6-7 kt in our trawler.
Old 22-02-2014, 09:19   #7

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

If it's calm, it's awesome, but with any wind you'll be Rockin' & Rollin'.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 10:51   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I anchored on the banks one night when it was a bit choppy. Got so bad during the night I was tossed out of the bunk onto the sole. Decided to stay there.

Also, even anchored a mile off the channel the wake from a passing power boat can rock you pretty well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 15:03   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've done it a few times. I try to get off the rum line by a couple miles to reduce the chance of other boat traffic.

It's not just the sea state that influences boat roll, but how the sea state and tide interact.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, Bahamas, bahamas