Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 06:14   #1

Anchoring near Mopion Island

Hello,

I would like to anchor near Mopion Island, the small piece of sand north east of Petit Saint Vincent in the Grenadines.

As there is a reef around the island I know that one needs to consider the conditions of the specific day and to use eyeball navigation.

However I would like to get an idea on which side of the island I will find a good sandy spot to drop the anchor. I have attached a graphic with two spots that I have identified by charts and sattelite images. Maybe someone of you has already been there and can recommend Spot A, Spot B or something else?

I want to stay a few hours during daytime with a 40 ft. cat in FEB.

Thanks,
Philipp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mopion_approach.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	131453  
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 06:28   #2

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Anchoring near Mopion Island

Hi Philipp,

I wish I could answer that and maybe next year I will. However I did want to welcome you to the CF!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:41   #3

I attempted to anchor at Mopion for a quick snorkeling excursion 2 years ago. Lagoon 45 catamaran for reference.

The winds were high (15 gusting to 25), and it was deep where we saw the other boats and attempted to anchor. We kept dragging our anchor even with full chain. We were attempting to try again when our port prop spun off, so we abandoned the attempt as the reef was dangerous to be near with limited maneuverability.

My father attempted Petit St Vincent in a 40' Catalina monohull, and he also dragged and he's one of the most experienced anchorers I've ever known.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:35   #4

We anchored in 2018 with a 45 monohull. just to the right (looking a picture) of the reef that surrounds mopion. Just at the beginning of the little channel between Mopion island and reef and the two reefs beside it... I think depth was about 20 ft.

you can also anchor between PSV and PM islands and dingie over. I have also seen cats anchored on the lee (north -west) of PSV.
Good luck!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Beck.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 09:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
We anchored in 2018 with a 45 monohull. just to the right (looking a picture) of the reef that surrounds mopion. Just at the beginning of the little channel between Mopion island and reef and the two reefs beside it... I think depth was about 20 ft.

you can also anchor between PSV and PM islands and dingie over. I have also seen cats anchored on the lee (north -west) of PSV.
Good luck!
That's where I was hoping to go, as it appeared more shallow & sandy bottom. UNfortunately, it was a long trip from Mustique and when we arrived, there were two large, obnoxious 60+ foot day tripper cats already parked there.

We had to go downwind from Mopion and found a small sandy stretch in 6 meters of water. Finally got anchor to hold and tried to dive on it to ensure not stuck in coral head. Even with flippers, the current was so strong it took 4 minutes to swim from the stern to the bow, and another 10 to reach the anchor.

Anchor eventually dragged into a coral head, but was able to manuever forward and pull the anchor up from "behind"
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 10:28   #7

At least you got your exercise in.... Did you make it too the island and where did you stay for the night? PSV?
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 17:51   #8

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

You can anchor near Morpion if the swell is low. Low waters. If not it's not the best spot to anchor
I anchor between A and B but a little more to the north. You can actually see the sandy spot on the satellite image. You can also se a cat on the image.
Dingy over the rest of the way.

For PSV go on the sandbank near the dock. It's about 8-10 feet deep.
Holding is very good. Do mind the reef on the west side You can see it pretty good when the sun is out. Water is green brown. Aim for the crystal bleu water
Also do go ashore at the bar for a Bequia upper.
You can also go to the hotel lobby and ask for a tour of the resort. Do tip your guide!
Enjoy
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 18:04   #9

We anchored at spot B with a 44 cat a couple of years ago. Anchored in about 20 ft depth in sand mixed with coral heads. I would not be comfortable overnight, but fine for a lunch stop and trip to Mopion by dinghy. IIRC The sand patch was too shallow while we were there.

Enjoy the trip! Great area in general.
Sailbaum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchoring, anchor