Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 14:41   #1

Boat: 34' custom steel cutter
Anchoring in Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale

In mid-March I am hoping to avoid the ICW and sail off the Florida coast from Stuart to Miami. In an earlier thread, I got some great advice about anchoring in Miami. I am now seeking anchoring advice for Palm Beach (near the Lake Worth Inlet) and Ft. Lauderdale (near the Port Everglades Inlet). Weather permitting it would be just one night at each location. Thanks!
Les Bechdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 15:58   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Lake Worth Inlet is a breeze (Palm Beach) in any weather just come in and go south just about anywhere you can drop the hook outside the channel
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 17:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I agree with Ram regarding Lake Worth Inlet. 'no need to go to the ICW. Just turn south into the channel to port behind Palm Beach & then choose a spot west of that channel and off the marked cable area. As for Lauderdale, it's not as simple. The best bet is to head north on the ICW under the 17th St. Bridge and proceed to the south side of the Bahia Mar Marina. Turn south into the small lake while staying on the east side of the entry channel. It's unlikely that you will be questioned about your intentions of anchoring when it's a one night stay. This might be unavailable to you with a deep draft,- the charted numbers here seem right to me. I have also spent a night anchored futher noth up in Middle River, but that's probably not worth your time. You might want to take the easy 20 mile run down to Governor's Cut at Miami. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 20:04   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've done the same a few times leaving from Indiantown.

There are many places to anchor in the Palm Beach/Lake Worth area very close to the inlet. I've often anchored just north of the bridge near the park, but have also seen people anchored all around Peanut Island.

In the Fort Lauderdale area, I've anchored in Lake Sylvia (sp?). Anchoring in Fort Lauderdale is limited to one night, but it sounds like that's all your are looking for. You may also be able to pick up a mooring in the Las Olas anchorage which is managed by the Las Olas Municipal Marina.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring