Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 07:10   #1

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Anchoring in Little Dix Bay, BVI

Has anyone ever dropped anchor in Little Dix Bay, BVI? It is just north of Spanish town, and just south of Savannah Bay. It looks like a great spot, and gives easy access to the Rosewood resort. We will be on a 39 Ft Catamaran. There is enough water, and appears accessible. That doesn't necessarily translate into realilty, however.

Thanks,

Ben Solomon
S/V Dawn
Hunter Legend 37.5
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 07:42   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Anchoring in Little Dix Bay, BVI

Hiya Ben! I stayed on Little Dix Bay - BVI twice, each time for a week. This is a 4-star resort; among the best resorts in the world. You must be dressy when you dine there, as it is very much British in tradition; business casual attire is required during all meals. I have never seen a boat ever anchoring in their C-shaped/half-moon bay. Give their dive shop a call and see if it is allowed. Vacationers who stay there are on a package plan that includes all meals; liquors extra. There's an agreement between this resort and its sister resort, Caneel Bay St. John - USVI. These two resorts, in addition to Cinnamon Bay Campgrounds St. John - USVI, are closed for maintenance during the months of September and October; in preparation for the fall/winter seasons. Check their websites for further closing info. You may want to anchor by the Baths, during the day and snorkel the area. Have fun!

Mauritz
Knows and sees all...
Old 30-09-2013, 07:48   #3

Mauritz,

Thanks for the reply. I have spoken to the resort, and they don't necessarily mind if we anchor, as long as we are respectful of the water and their guests. I will pay their "day rate" and we will have access to the resort. I just want to know if I can even make it in the bay. It looks like I can, but with caution.

Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 09:45   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've seen cats anchor there a couple of times while sailing by, but I would recommend going one bay over to Savannah, a beautiful bay. The entrance between the reefs isn't difficult in good light with a spotter but that beach is one of my favorites in the BVI and despite the closure of Giorgio's (due to a landslide) and no reachable facilities ashore it is worth a visit, perhaps even just for a day.

There is no anchoring at the Baths and the moorings are National Park Service for day use only. You can anchor or take a mooring around the headland from Little Dix outside of Spanish Town, but I find that anchorage too rolly for my comfort.

I've motored into Little Dix on dive boats to pick up and drop off people a number of times and the entrance looks both narrow and shallow and even the dive boat operators look concentrated when they go in - a sure sign that it isn't the simplest entrance.
Old 30-09-2013, 09:56   #5

Zanshin,

Thanks for the reply. I am taking two other couples with us to the BVI this time. They want to go to the Baths, and then I was hoping to tuck in Little Dix after the snorkel, for an overnight to get some dinner and drinks. I also saw Savannah bay, but we are trying to be "easy on the cook". I have been to Spanish town, and it isn't pretty at all. Either Little Dix or Savannah may be too rough when we are there (April) due to Northerlies. If that is the case, then I have planned to go to Spanish town, anyway.

I guess if I try, I'll go very slow with a spotter on each hull. If there is any swell, I won't even try it. I had that experience at Cane Garden Bay, once.

Thanks again,
Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 10:10   #6

Perhaps you might head into the North Sound and take a slip at Leverick Bay. If you join the Traveltalk-Online forum and use that when you VHF for a slip, you will pay just as much for the slip as you would for a mooring ball (plus electricity if you hook up). Included in the TTOL rate is a voucher towards dinner upstairs at the resort, which has the best food, bar none, which I've had in the BVI - unfortunately the prices upstairs are not cheap. Downstairs is the Happy 'aar show by Michael Beans and other entertainment (the Jumbies are on Thursdays along with a buffet, I believe). The North Sound has the advantage that it is protected in any weather, although the docks at Leverick are uncomfortable in a north swell or with strong northerly winds. But you can anchor off Prickly Pear in the North Sound and dinghy across to Leverick or dinghy along the shoreline of Prickly Pear to Saba Rock. Also, once at either place, you've got the free ferry to take you around as well.

If there are northerlies then the anchorage at Spanish Town sucks (I've been there, done that and won't do it again) and the North Sound is your best (and only) bet on Virgin Gorda.
Old 30-09-2013, 10:20   #7

I plan to go to North sound the following day. My crew won't tolerate such a long sail the first day, and I don't think I will make it to the baths until about 10 am or so. That's why I was looking at anchorages close to the baths. I would stay inside at the yacht harbor in Spanish town, if I had to go there. I have noticed how awful the anchorage is outside. I suppose we could take a cab to dinner. The turtle bar at Spanish harbor isn't so good.

The Little dix bay looks so inviting!! I figured there was a reason it isn't mentioned in any of the cruising guides. I have squeezed into many an anchorage in the Chesapeake which is mostly mud. The issue with the BVI (and Greece for that matter) is that the obstructions are either rock or coral.

Savannah Bay is actually my second choice over Dix bay, and then the Yacht harbor at Spanish town as third choice. I am going in April, so I have time to look over satellite views, etc. The area between obstructions is about 200 feet at the entrance of little dix bay, and there is about 6 feet of water for another 300 feet towards the beach in sand, away from the reefs.

How was the snorkeling in Savannah bay?

Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 10:45   #8

The snorkeling in Savannah was OK, I snorkeling the first reef from the shore and never went out to the nicer second reef since I was swimming alone and didn't want to become a statistic (it turns out that the current there isn't bad when there is no big swell, but I didn't know that at the time). But if you take one of the 3 mooring at Long Bay on your way up to the North Sound then there is some excellent snorkeling to be had.

I lived in the Spanish Town marina for almost a month while I waited for a part to be shipped in from France a couple of years back (my rudder snapped off at sea, I got a lengthy tow from Speedy into Spanish Town) and I got to know the island pretty well, and certainly every single person I picked up to give a ride to knew me - "Oh, you da guy with de broken boat" (news travels fast on an island the size of VG). The food I enjoyed within walking distance of the marina was at The Rocks, I usually had lunch up at Mad Dog's but that isn't a dinner location. There are some new places for dining on VG but I haven't been to any of them.
Old 30-09-2013, 10:58   #9

WOW! You must know how to handle your boat well. Not many skipppers would have made it without a rudder, even while waiting for help. What happened?

Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 13:30   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Stay at Spanish Town and explore the Island a bit - We're planning on stopping here our next trip as it was highly recommend by our dive instructor last July.

CocoMaya Restaurant
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 14:05   #11

I wanted to wake up on the water in the morning. I am going to try to anchor at little dix. If any difficulties present themselves, then savannah bay or spanish town will be my alternative. I just didn't like spanish town, although i never left the marina. What is around the marina?

Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 14:13   #12

Coco Maya isn't too far I think - not sure its walking distance though. But you could always rent a car and explore from there.

Personally, I'd skip the Baths by Boat and spend two nights at Leverick bay. Rent a car the day you'll have the full day and drive to the Baths in the morning for breakfast at top of the baths. Then take the trip down and enjoy the Baths. Next, stop at Coppermine point to check that out, then make your way back towards Leverick (Stopping at Spanish Town if you need provisions - they have a good market). You could stop at Savannah Bay on the way too and then rather than go back the way you came, take a left after Savannah bay and loop around the northern side. Views are awesome and you will eventually pass Hog Heaven overlooking the North Sound. Grab a drink and some food and enjoy the view!

And if you plan Leverick for a Friday night, you can enjoy the BBQ for dinner. We usually try to arrive Friday for the BBQ and then tour the Island on Saturday. Touring and the BBQ in the same day ends up being a bit too much!

As Zanshin said, get on traveltalkonline and register and you can stay on the dock at Leverick for the same price as a mooring - best deal in the islands!
Old 30-09-2013, 14:19   #13

I agree with you about the Baths. I think it is a waste of time. However, two other couples are joining us, and they have never been to the BVI and all they can talk about is the baths. So.....since it is their trip, too, I am going to stop at baths on the first day, and then overnight somewhere close. I want that isolated anchorage feeling, but I don't want to endager the boat. Day 2 and 3 I will be at Bitter End. I really like it there. I will, however, dinghy over to Leverick bay one night to check it out, because we have never been despite being 10 year veterans of the BVI. I am also going to moor between Jost and little Jost so we can go to sandy spit and green cay. We have never done that, either.

I really appreciate your opinion.
Ben
Old 30-09-2013, 14:50   #14

I wouldn't skip the baths, just visit by car. It's a much better way to do it - we did it by boat the first few times we went and won't likely ever do it that way again. We've done it via car with a few first timers now and they all loved it, not only the Baths, but the views and other stops - Hog Heaven really is one of those must see places!

You could still stay at Bitter End and rent a car and tour, but staying on the dock at Leverick and walking to a rental car in the morning is a great touch. We were in the BVI in July for 18 days and visited Leverick 3 different times for a total of 6 nights! Two different groups during that time, but we had a blast each time!

Be sure to visit Traveltalkonline - Leverick is not the only place you can get a discount. Scrub Island offers it from time to time as well.

Never been to Sandy spit or Cay? How about the bubbling pool? Definitely check those out!
Old 30-09-2013, 15:07   #15

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

You can get in their but its tight. I put a 48' salina in there earlier this year. But I couldn't find anywhere I felt happy to anchor and we were just staying for lunch. IMHO find somewhere else.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring