Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 08:08   #1

Anchoring in Isle of Shoals outside Portsmouth Harbor, NH

Has anyone anchored in Isle of Shoals off Portsmouth Harbor, NH? I've read that the holding is poor. Thank you.
David AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Anchoring in Isle of Shoals outside Portsmouth Harbor, NH

Holding is poor. The bottom is littered with old debris, cables and mooring blocks. Most of the harbor is taken up with private "destination" moorings, as well as working moorings for local fishermen, residents and the Star Island hotel and conference center.

Good holding can be found East of the breakwater between Cedar I and Smuttynose I, but the protection is only good for N to SW winds. It's totally exposed to any swell coming in off the ocean.

Some of the YC moorings can be used, but you never know if a member might come by and kick you off. You also never know the condition of the gear. They've been known to drag in squalls. Mid-week or in poor weather you have a better chance of finding a good one and not being kicked off.

Don't try taking any mooring that's doesn't have a "..YC" label. These belong to commercial fishermen, local residents and the Star Island Corporation. The owners can get pretty ornery, and many of them are armed.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 15:06   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Oh bull, grab an empty mooring and just be prepared to move (I never had to)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:05   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Oh bull, grab an empty mooring and just be prepared to move (I never had to)

Agree -- we just picked up a mooring as did the boat with us. I had to move later in the day but no big deal and we had a pleasant stay.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:15   #6

Nice to pass through, never felt the urge to stay...
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:50   #7

Sailorboy and Chuck, have you been out there on a busy weekend? Or during a squall? Five boats went up on the rocks last summer in just one squall. Happens every year.

Have you ever picked up a mooring belonging to a local property owner or fisherman? That can get ugly real fast.

Did you know the mooring you picked up was sized adequately? Well maintained? Did you know whether there had been 5 or 6 boats rafted to it the previous weekend, dragging it around and damaging the gear?

To be fair, I've used YC moorings out there. Always with a settled weather forecast, never on a summer weekend (unless it's foggy, and therefore less crowded.)

I watch the forecast because I've been through two squalls out there, and have seen boats go up on the rocks and crash into other boats. The harbor is open to the NW, and it's not uncommon for the squalls to come from that direction. The islands are all rock, no soft groundings there.

If you do go, dinghy over to Star Island and make a reservation for lunch or dinner in the communal dining hall. Check out the gift shop, book store and snack bar. Hang out on the porch of the hotel in the rocking chairs. Walk the island. It's a great place, I just wish they'd resolve the issue of private "destination" moorings filling the whole harbor.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05   #8

Thank you everyone! So it's settled. Yes, no and maybe!
I'll watch the weather. It'll be midweek in the next couple of weeks, so it sounds like a YC mooring might be free. I won't anchor. Hey, this was my first post, and I didn't get anyone angry at me yet! Thanks again. This was actually very helpful.
David AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:34   #9

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Actually, I think coming up into Portsmouth harbor is a lot more fun. I know most of use go sailing to get away, but being able to dock right up next to down town Portsmouth is actually pretty cool. It's a happening town. Lots of pedestrian traffic, people walking everywhere to great restaurants, art galleries, etc.

Let me know if you are going to be in the area, I will meet up with you.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:49   #10

Boat: CD25

David
Contact Portsmouth yacht club and Kittery Point YC for info
Pete
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 19:22   #11

The Isle of Shoals has a fantastic history. Google it.
pdenton
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot McPherson View Post
Actually, I think coming up into Portsmouth harbor is a lot more fun. I know most of use go sailing to get away, but being able to dock right up next to down town Portsmouth is actually pretty cool. It's a happening town. Lots of pedestrian traffic, people walking everywhere to great restaurants, art galleries, etc.
All very true. There are two downtown marinas, the municipal Prescott Park Marina and Harbor Place. Harbor Place is one long face dock, easy in and out (just stem the current) and good reviews of both the facility and the staff. Prescott Park has narrow slips with unprotected iron and concrete jutting out, and strong cross currents. It doesn't seem very well staffed and there are no facilities shoreside. But it's a great location right in the park. Both take some serious wakes. Both are right under the lift bridge, so expect traffic noise. Of the two I think the better value is Harbor Place.

On the other side of the bridge there's Badgers Island Marina. Walking across the bridge, with wide pedestrian lanes and scenic overlooks, is worth doing no matter which side you stay on. Badgers I has some serious currents, and they're a little more expensive than the other two, but staff is friendly and facilities are good.

That's about it for in-town locations. Wentworth Marina is on Little Harbor, well protected from wakes and less current. It's a higher-end marina with excellent facilities, even a golf course and fine restaurant, but you can't walk to town from there.

There are a few options in the river for overnight moorings. A lot of transients use Pepperell Cove on the Maine side; just inside the mouth of the harbor and no bridges to pass under. Hail the Kittery Harbormaster for
mooring availability.

Still, mid-week at the Shoals, if you can find an unused YC mooring, is worth doing too.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, ports