Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-12-2011, 14:19   #1

Boat: 15' Mohawk Canoe
Anchorage in USVI

Hello-
Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a boat and live aboard as a "snow bird" in the USVI. I came across some older threads today that made it appear that my idea will be difficult to achieve- it appears that the USVI gov't dosen't like the idea of anchoring long term (or even overnight) off of the islands. Is this the case? I was leaning towards the USVI in an attempt to utilize Medicare, whereas I wouldn't be able to elsewhere.

Again, sorry for the ignorance of boating/cruising, but I've found you're info and experience invaluable!!

Old 14-12-2011, 16:29   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Re: Anchorage in USVI

Why the USVI? The government has become more aggressive about long term anchoring (Christmas Cove, Honeymoon, and other anchorages). BVI's are almost entirely limited to $30/day moorings. The French side of St. Martin in Simpson bay Lagoon is free. There is an international airport, it is a free port, and marine services are excellent.

Old 14-12-2011, 16:52   #3

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Think about the South West, and South Coast of Puerto Rico? Some good anchorages, nice peole, access to anything American, like West Marine, Walmart, Walgreen's,Home Depot, Burger King, etc., plus nice cruising, including all of the VI's. It is a gateway to the rest of the Caribbean. Cheap air fare to the states.
Old 17-12-2011, 19:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperdog View Post
Hello-
Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a boat and live aboard as a "snow bird" in the USVI. I came across some older threads today that made it appear that my idea will be difficult to achieve- it appears that the USVI gov't dosen't like the idea of anchoring long term (or even overnight) off of the islands. Is this the case? I was leaning towards the USVI in an attempt to utilize Medicare, whereas I wouldn't be able to elsewhere.

Again, sorry for the ignorance of boating/cruising, but I've found you're info and experience invaluable!!
There are plenty of long term boaters anchored in the USVI. Mostly they are in and around St Thomas with a few at Coral Bay on St John. But recently, the USVI government has started a program to get boats to pay registration and other fees in order to raise revenue. Like most places the local government is broke or near broke and actively looking for revenue sources.

- - Biggest problem with USVI is what are you going to do with the boat during the summer hurricane months. Haulout and storage is not cheap and scarce.

- - Medical services in the USVI are not the best, in fact a long way from the best with many locals flying back to mainland USA for medical attention. I know as I had to fly back to Florida for treatment. But they do have a VA hospital there.

- - The suggestion of looking at the south shore of Puerto Rico (or the eastern shore) is, I think, a better option.
Old 17-12-2011, 19:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - Medical services in the USVI are not the best, in fact a long way from the best with many locals flying back to mainland USA for medical attention.
That was certainly my experience years ago when I kept a boat in St Thomas. Had a crew member wreck a motorcycle resulting in a compound fracture in his leg. After a couple of days in the local hospital due to the poor care we were concerned he might end up permanently disabled or even die from infection so carried him out AMA and flew him back to the states. Doctors in Atlanta were shocked at his condition and some of the things that had been done or not done.

This was years ago and things might be better now but would check out the situation very carefully. I do recall that the hospital was across the street from the cemetery. Always wondered if there was some significance to that.

On the other hand, last year my daughter did a 30 day bit in the ER on St Croix during her residency. I'm certain that the quality of medical care during that period was world class.
Old 17-12-2011, 20:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

This thread is running parallel and duplicating the thread - USVI Live Aboard Situation

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: