Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2014, 14:56   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Anchorage at Memory Rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDH33.5 View Post
And if you are using a slightly older GPS, Garmin type, get the Bahamas chip.
Too high tech for me. Been using a basic hand held GPS with no frills and paper charts. Much more 'visible' to these old eyes. Actually I now own three of them. Bought very cheap at marine flea markets from sailors 'upgrading' to chip charts....

Old 02-10-2014, 15:12   #17

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

RTB
What you find between West End and Green Turtle is mainly rocks. You do go by Great Sale and round Little Sale then you pass Fox Town. The last time I was there there was not much to the town, that was many years ago so I don't know what it's like today. It is a fairly direct route if your coming on the banks from the south.

Old 02-10-2014, 18:23   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I think the exumas are on next years destination. We are still in a toss up between the Abacos and the keys because I work and need quick access to a reliable airport for my monthly jaunt to places cold and foreboding, and also some semblance of internet access, are important. The "plan" is to head to the Abacos sometimes in December and see just how bad the internet really is. If we end up at an expensive resort on a dock because they have good internet than that is OK for this year. If its just all around not good enough to work through then we head back to the US and go down the keys.
Old 02-10-2014, 20:09   #19

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

You might want to get in touch with FranklinGray he is on the forum and seems to have a lot of info on the Internet in the Abaco's. From what I've gathered it's good in the Abaco's themselves but he knows where the hot spots are. I read some of his comments and it seems that you need a provider and the gear to recieve is high end. With that said, about $100 a month gets you service.
Old 02-10-2014, 20:52   #20

Boat: csy 37

Zboss, if you're bringing your wife along I think she will like the Abacos. Mine loves it. There are airports at Marsh Harbor and Treasure Cay.

There are several options available for internet access. First is Batelco, the national phone company. They have several tall towers throughout the Abacos. Their offices in Marsh and in Treasure can set you up.

There are two private providers, of which OII (Out Island Internet) seems to have the most antennas around the Abacos. They have an office in Marsh. Bahamas Wimax is the other..

Most marinas offer free internet if you take a slip. In Hopetown we were on a Hopetown Inn & Marina mooring and had free internet. At Treasure Cay you can anchor in a very protected harbor and get free internet access.

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: