Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2013, 20:40   #31

Boat: Seawind - 1160
My suggestion is to get good ground tackle and splurge for the electric windlass. Certainly no need to handle heavy anchor chain by hand, you only have 10 fingers why risk losing some on a stormy night at 0-dark thirty. I also think the new generation anchors like the Manson and such are way better than the Bruce or Deltas. We recently spent 4 years in the Bahamas and saw plenty of examples of people not shifting to safer spots because they did not want the hassle of puzzling the anchor by hand while we safely pulled anchor by remote switch and the moved on.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:33   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Anchor Chain Length for Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
Towards the end of this year I hope to take my Flicka from Florida to the Bahamas. I need to get an all chain rode but want to get the shortest length that will do the job. 100 ft. of 1/4" grade 40 weighs 75 lbs and my anchor is another 25 lbs. so I'd like to keep it under 150 ft. if that's good enough. I'll get whatever is necessary to be safe but I don't know what anchoring conditions will be like so could use some advice. Thanks.
There's a lot of good advice here, but the bottom line is you are not sailing around the world, you are in a minimalist boat... and that mindset is different from many on this forum. Your anchor is fairly lightweight. A windlass is more of a luxury for you and not a must have. 100 ft of chain will do it. most your anchoring will be under 15 feet... and in your boat may be 10 ft! If you dont already have chain then 150 would be a nice-to-have. You dont need a "modern" design anchor to go cruising in the Bahamas for a few months. The Bahamas, with a few exceptions, are some of the easiest anchoring out there. As with any anchor, watch the windshifts. I wouldnt hesitate to use a used $25 Danforth in the Bahamas (more holding power than any anchor out there) however, I would want another type as backup for any areas that are hardpan or rocky. JMHO Keep it simple, like your style of boat, go enjoy.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10   #33

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Anchor Chain Length for Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There's a lot of good advice here, but the bottom line is you are not sailing around the world, you are in a minimalist boat... and that mindset is different from many on this forum. Your anchor is fairly lightweight. A windlass is more of a luxury for you and not a must have. 100 ft of chain will do it. most your anchoring will be under 15 feet... and in your boat may be 10 ft! If you dont already have chain then 150 would be a nice-to-have. You dont need a "modern" design anchor to go cruising in the Bahamas for a few months. The Bahamas, with a few exceptions, are some of the easiest anchoring out there. As with any anchor, watch the windshifts. I wouldnt hesitate to use a used $25 Danforth in the Bahamas (more holding power than any anchor out there) however, I would want another type as backup for any areas that are hardpan or rocky. JMHO Keep it simple, like your style of boat, go enjoy.
"I would want another type as backup for any areas that are hardpan..."

This is one of the more challenging surfaces for anchoring. I think you will have difficulty getting a Danforth to set. More likely it will skate across the surface. And there are a mountain of Danforths with bent shanks out there. Despite that, I also carry one as a supplemental hook.

Another challenge is in areas like the Berrys where the only holding is to find a sand hole to carefully drop the hook in.

A sharp point/tip of the anchor can often help in these cases, as might a heavier anchor. The best bet is to have at least two different type anchors, both easily deployed. You will use your primary anchor the majority of the time, with the alternate anchor used infrequently - though you will be glad to have it when needed. A single rode might also be adequate, as long as you have a backup line for emergencies.

As for the "Bahamian moor", I think the hassle, and the invariably twisted rode(s), make this a non-starter in my book, especially if you had to hoist anchor in a hurry. When I have felt that there was no alternative except for two hooks, I have always thought afterwards that it was unnecessary.

In general, anchoring in the Bahamas, with a few notable exceptions, is pretty easy; helped by the clarity of the water, the shallow depths, and the generally accommodating sand bottom.

BTW, I have a nice #45 CQR I would sell you

Good luck with your trip!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50   #34

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)
I have anchored in the Berrys and I know about the hard pan you speak about but I didn't have any problems with either my Bruce or CQR holding there and I experienced some high winds there too. I will consider an alternate anchor to my CQR though and I didn't have any trouble sleeping at night except for the rolling. I didn't find the Berrys very interesting and probably wouldn't go back there--so, I am not going to alter my anchoring system just for the Berrys.

Back to anchor chain length and a windlass, adding a windlass and a battery to power it as well as wiring a way to charge the battery is a time-consuming and costly proposition for me. I also don't know at this point in time if this will be "one trip and done" or if I will do this year after year for the next 10 years. Consequently, I am leaning toward NOT adding a windlass, sticking with a chain/rope combination rode, and maybe changing out my CQR with a different anchor for the trip. (Here in the Chesapeake Bay, a CQR is ideal.)

So, at this point in time, I don't know for sure what my retirement will involve.

DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: