Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 14:09   #16

Boat: Gozzard 36
Re: Am I dreaming too big?

Suggest that you budget between 1/3 to 1/2 of your purchase price of the boat for repairs and replacements---the saltwater marine environment is a harsh one and boats and their equipment frequently break or wear --especially on longer cruises (and for that matter when sitting around not being used).

Also if you are in the Islands those repair costs will be significantly greater than in the USA, not to mention freight and taxes in getting the parts to your boat

Just my 2 bits....
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 17:02   #17

"Am I dreaming too big?"

NO-if you are not the person to make that dream happen, become it! We are working our way there, too, and can't think of anything greater!
IslandSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 20:28   #18

Juho, you're right I am a bit rushed. I always have been in my life. As for taking a loss when I sell. I 'd rather get 2/3-1/2 of my investment back in a few weeks rather then it sit in a marina for years wasting away, devaluating while repairs need to be made, marina bills add up... etc. Thats my mindset. Who knows that the future will hold. It will be a while before I decide to do this. Thanks everyone for the input.
donkey_jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 01:52   #19

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey_jaw View Post
Juho, you're right I am a bit rushed. I always have been in my life. As for taking a loss when I sell. I 'd rather get 2/3-1/2 of my investment back in a few weeks rather then it sit in a marina for years wasting away, devaluating while repairs need to be made, marina bills add up... etc. Thats my mindset. Who knows that the future will hold. It will be a while before I decide to do this. Thanks everyone for the input.
That sounds good again . If you know yourself, you can probably control yourself when needed, and the boat as well. With boats and sea the only big risk is that sea is always much stronger than you, and you don't want to challenge it too much. Otherwise sailing is just enjoyable and a piece of cake (for anyone with some practice and common sense).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 03:59   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

At last! a plan that makes sense! Lol.

The secret (one of them!) will be buying well, not so much for the exit value in your case but to avoid the pita time cost of fixing things before getting her shipshape.

Also beware of making "improvements" or upgrades (unless they can transfer to next boat,) as easy to overcapitalise and spend too much time....even though some of them will make sense (as well as those which just seem like they will until you get miles under your keel).

Simply going across the bay can be an adventure (and can kill ya!) and fun.....and all counts towards experiance of being the skipper (decisions always look very different when the buck / glug! stops at you!!).

Have fun.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 11:05   #21

Thanks for the support/advice guys. If I do this it will be in a few years. My best bet will be to find and purchase a boat that is ready or nearly ready to go. I live too far away from the coast to spend weeks/months making improvements. Once the boat is ready and I'm ready my last words will be.... "hey y'all, watch this!"
Old 14-05-2015, 11:33   #22

donkey_jaw, I did the same thing 9 months ago. Without experience (just short sailing course in Turkey) I bought my Niagara 35 in Ft. Lauderdale , spent about a month preparing her and buying alot of extra stuff and then sailed all the way against the wind to St. Martin (Ft. Lauderdale - Miami - Bahamas - Cuba - Jamaica - Haiti - DomRep - Puerto Rico - Vieques - Virgin Islands - St. Martin).

I had a plan to take some experience in Carribbean and then cross the Atlantic. But my boss asked me to come back to work (We agreed previously on a long-term unpaid leave). So I'm going to fly to Europe on the 21st of May, already bought a ticket. I will leave my boat to a local broker to sell her. Take a look http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-141790.html

The price is not actual anymore because I want to sell the boat quickly, just PM me. There is one really BIG advantage if you buy a boat in eastern carib. - you can sail to US downwind.
zevgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 21:30   #23

thanks Zevgan but its too soon and I'm looking for a cheaper boat. Your boat sounds like a good deal and I'm sure it will sell soon!
Old 14-05-2015, 22:50   #24

I wish more people did things to get it out of the system.
SM6WET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 20:08   #25

The more I think about this the more I want to undertake this venture. I've heard of insurance for boats....(if the boat sinks I'm reimbursed or if I get in a bind and have to be towed?)

If i want to sail for say 5 months what do you think it will cost for a 30 food sail boat (food, fuel, supplies, etc.)

I know marina fees can be atrocious but what about when I arrive to a different island? I know I have to let officials(customs) know I'm there. Is there a fee to check in?

Is there a fee to anchor anywhere?
Old 16-05-2015, 20:28   #26

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I literally am doing this right now. My advice with a shorter cruise like this would be that your time is worth much more than your money. I knew this going in but still cheaped out (it's my nature) and I'm paying for it now with a month plus of lay days getting an engine back to life.
Your dream is very feasible, and you can accomplish it. There are a couple threads about buying a boat in FL that I have posted in that might be good reading for you. Just look them up under my name.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 20:29   #27

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I just itemized my expenses for the last three months so I will publish those as well tomorrow if they would be helpful to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 21:04   #28

Brownsoarsman, thanks for your input. I await your help. Are you sailing alone? Where did you leave from?
Old 16-05-2015, 21:19   #29

I think your plan sounds reasonably well thought out. I have a few notes.

I am not sure I would use a Grampian 23 for the Caribbean, I've spent quite a bit of time on the G23, when I was a kid I cruised on my dad's (nearly new) G23 on the great lakes. Fine little boats, but lightly built, Im not sure I'd be thrilled about being 50 miles off shore in one in 6 or 7 ' Caribbean seas and sustained winds of 20 or 25 knots. That sounds kind of scarey to me.

My last boat was a Grampian 30, which I paid $8500 for, she was a nice weatherly boat, but I would not have taken her to the Caribbean without probably close to $10k in upgrades, which would put you in the ball park of you're 10-15k range. I'm sure you could find a 26 or 28' boat that is safe, comfortable and in your price range. If I was in your price range, I'd be looking at a nice 26 with standing head room and possibly a brand new or nearly new outboard.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 21:53   #30

Familyvan, thanks for the input. Not sure of the boat I will purchase yet or the size.