Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2010, 06:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Hmmm. I am surprised at all the negativity here. I think the A30 is an excellent value for an excellent boat. I agree with Gord that $35K is way too much. But for $10,000-$15,000, which is more realistic, you'd be hard pressed to find a better "pocket cruiser", IMHO.
Old 16-02-2010, 06:22   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
theres an Alberg 35 in green cove springs for sale with new yanmar .. better for the big water.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:06   #18

I'd want, and most have had, a diesel replacement for the original Atomic4.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 04:50   #19
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Gord, the Alberg 29 was an entirely different boat than the 30 It had more interior space (albeit still on the small side, due to a relatively narrow beam) and a T cockpit. Sadly, it did not perform as well as the 30, was not as pretty (to my eyes) and the original oak toe rail was a disaster - if it has not been replaced, it will be needing it.

Still, overall it is a safe, salty looking and relatively comfortable boat. In the current market, however, I would say that $35,000.00 is on the high side.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 07:03   #20

Boat: Catalina 25
Growing up, my family had an Ensign and later a Triton. Both Alberg designs. Dont' listen to the crew that say they are old, wet, not a lot of room. Get either a Triton or an Alberg 30 and go now. Though stuck in an office for now, I have looked at both and would rehab either for a trip I plan on making in a few years. They built those boats solid in the early years. If well-cared for, the classic-plastics will outlast ya. Check out the Atom website (about a triton that circumnavigated). Check out the Glissando website for a pretty Triton. I sense that there are several kinds of sailors on this site, one group that wants to go now and go simple and another that wants all the comforts of home. Neither is wrong. You just have to decide which way is for you. Though my Catalina is a coastal cruiser (very, very near coastal!) I keep it simple with an icebox, propane stove, handheld GPS, etc. When the time comes for me to go further a field (further au-mer?) I will go with what I can afford that will do the job. That way, I won't have to work til I am 65 to depart! Go for it!
Old 10-09-2010, 18:46   #21

I had an Alberg 30 for ten years. An absolutly wonderful boat. Always felt safe/comforatable in it. Would take it anywhere without ice. Built like a tank. Only flaw is that the chain plates were installed with 1/4" machine screws and need to be replaced stouter hardware. Sometimes I wish that I had never sold it but my family outgrew it.
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10   #22

Re: Alberg 30

Alberg 30. WHAT!? Negative responses about this stable, reliable craft are not widely recognized by the owners. One of the safest boats on the planet! Some years ago during a race from the US to the UK, several classes involved, a storm blew up. Alberg crews battened down, relaxed, played cards, slept. Other crews and more sophisticated craft sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic. Six fatalities I believe. The Alberg handles well, sails well, and did I mention SAFE?
Proven craft. Not like some of the new sailing trash which is supposed to be so 'advanced'. Im not a carbon fiber fan. Two examples. You remember the solo female sailor who broke a CF mast at sea? And I have a sailing pal, done a lot of racing, who was bringing an new boat from Tx to Fl and he said the carbon fiber mast would bend so badly it he couldnt catch a breeze if the winds were strong. New aint always better folks. Give me a hundred boat 30' choice to do a deep water voyage and I would pick the Alberg over all.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:31   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by damjan dan alaica View Post
hi there,
i intend to sail solo from toronto via erie canal to bermuda/azores and on to med.
alberg 30 has been recommended as an ideal boat to do this singlehandedly.
any comments would be appreciated
thanks
damjan
I think the boat is well suited to this task

I even bought a windvane from this guy!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33   #24

We'd take an Alberg 30 in a heartbeat. I've sailed in some, I've done some engine and electrical work on one. A solid, sweet-looking, very 'yar' boat.

No they aren't as roomy or loaded as more modern 30 footers. But I think they would be very satisfying for a couple, especially one with an appreciation for traditional yacht aesthetics.

There was a beautiful, one-owner A30 for sale a few years back. She had been meticulously maintained by an engineer owner who was an older version of myself. We weren't ready for a big boat at that time, but my wife and I mention that boat often, now that we're within striking range. (Affaire de Coeur, are you still out there?)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider5001 View Post
just feel like bragging about the alberg30 a little bit, ive gotton replys tellin me its built like a tank and it really absolutly is, i have the volvo penta and it sat for 6 years and rusted in sides on cylinder walls , i cleaned up rust with sand paper, hit the pistons with 2x4 wood using hammer,(to unfreeze motor) put it all back together, and then found some used injectors, for 50 dollars for the 2, stuck them in, Had to make nice contraption out of autozone valve puller to get them out, but anyways put in the new to me injectors, shot in a dab of starting fluid and she runs pretty much like new probly gonna have motor borred and yada yada, boy though i got lucky that mine wasnt the fresh water cooled version or i can pretty much guarentee that i would have needed much more than an injector with the engine sitting where it was where it freezes everyear anyways i love this boat think i might keep it forever and i can honestly say that it will definiatly last my entire lifetime and im only 22 and plan to get nice and old i really dont care what people say the albergs are the best sailboat ever made in my opinion i might sound a little off saying that but it is the truth and the best thing about the 30 is that is not too large that it couldnt be flipped back over without too much trouble if it was to get capsized, i plan on making mine with the air pockets ive read very little about to make it unsinkable not that ive ever heard of one single alberg sinking another thing i can tell you is that i think it would be really hard to find a stronger boat you should see the gobs of fiberglass resin unlike any fiberglass youve ever seen, if you saw it you would know that it is extremly stong ok im done for now just cant wait for summer.
I belive it would "flip back over "on its own ..if not it is not the boat you would want out on the ocean...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51   #26

Im not a 'gas at sea' guy. My atomic 4 was rebuilt and broke. My replacement choice was a Perk. Had one standing by with new head work everyone said bad idea because you should rebuild the whole thing at the same time. BUNK! Runs like a sewing machine. Granted without turbo its not as sexy but I dont really care. A turbo is just something else to break. Also remember 1972, the first example of a real fuel shortage? After that, according to my fiberglass expert, all the resins changed to some cheaper less durable compounds. My guy has been repairing, building fiberglass boats since the 60s. I believe he knows what he is talking about. Based upon that information a '72 or earlier would have the best materials. Topsides notwithstanding, obviously replacable, repairable, its the hull that will make or break a cruiser. PS: I am not buying the 4.4' draft. Always be at least 5', just for insurance sake. Just to mention, solar PV panels are now selling for about .85 a watt! Wow. When I first looked at them years ago they were around $30.00 per watt. I just bought 12 240 watt 12vdc panels for .80 per watt new. Use several smaller inverters instead of one big one. That way you can most always have power if one fails.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57   #27

PS...a big PS. I have owned boats up to 13 metres. When redoing bright work I no longer use any type of final sealer, poly, varnish. I kept looking at all the guys who would take it down to bare every couple of years then recoat and seal. If the world wasnt spinning so fast I would just sit by the river bank and build traditional wood boats. That is my true love.
Soooooooo, over the past 10 years or so, I havent stripped, sanded, refinished a single boat! I use baby oil. Anytime I think its time, I just recoat with a brush. Very cool finish. If you know what the M1 rifle stocks look like, then you get the idea. That is topside and railings. Dont use this on the hull, duh!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22   #28

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Alberg 30. WHAT!? Negative responses about this stable, reliable craft are not widely recognized by the owners. One of the safest boats on the planet! Some years ago during a race from the US to the UK, several classes involved, a storm blew up. Alberg crews battened down, relaxed, played cards, slept. Other crews and more sophisticated craft sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic. Six fatalities I believe. The Alberg handles well, sails well, and did I mention SAFE?
Proven craft. Not like some of the new sailing trash which is supposed to be so 'advanced'. Im not a carbon fiber fan. Two examples. You remember the solo female sailor who broke a CF mast at sea? And I have a sailing pal, done a lot of racing, who was bringing an new boat from Tx to Fl and he said the carbon fiber mast would bend so badly it he couldnt catch a breeze if the winds were strong. New aint always better folks. Give me a hundred boat 30' choice to do a deep water voyage and I would pick the Alberg over all.
Any time you post something as controversial as the crew of an Alberg playing cards below while other boats are sinking around them, it would be nice to post a link.
Without it, its just hear-say and not very believable .
As far as the boat itself, its not my cup of tea,
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53   #29

Most of these boats were miles apart. Have you ever participated in a trans race? Sometimes conditions are so bad you cant even see your own pulpit.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:02   #30

Alberg himself cited a story of an Alberg riding out the 1979 storm which claimed 16 lives in the Fastnet race with little fanfare other than battening down the hatches, eating, drinking and playing cards.
It was one of the fastnet races. Im sure you could look it up. And it was 16 lives lost, not 6. My mistake.
Next question?

Tags
alberg, alberg 30