Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 07:55   #46

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Alberg himself cited a story of an Alberg riding out the 1979 storm which claimed 16 lives in the Fastnet race with little fanfare other than battening down the hatches, eating, drinking and playing cards.
It was one of the fastnet races. Im sure you could look it up. And it was 16 lives lost, not 6. My mistake.
Next question?
That would have been the 79' Fastnet race, just finished reading the book Fastnet 10, one of the interesting points of this story is that most, (If not all) the sailboats that had trouble were the fin and spade performance crowd. There were actually rescues of other boats in trouble by and old Sparkman Stephens full keeler.

Anyway I have allways loved the lines on the Allberg boats, we have, I believe a 37 at the marina and I stop and admire her often. Allberg also takes credit for the Cape Dory designs.
Old 23-01-2014, 15:10   #47

My Dad, Bob Townsend, reviewed the race and the major loss of life in the race was from people leaving their floating sail boats to get into inflatable dingy's. Many of the boats that were abandoned were later found floating. Rule, don't leave the boat unless it is sinking.
As for the Alberg, we are an Alberg family, I still have my 30 I bought 32 years ago. Don't get to use it much now I am living in the mountains but I love her.
cdnehjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 18:21   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnehjim View Post
My Dad, Bob Townsend, reviewed the race and the major loss of life in the race was from people leaving their floating sail boats to get into inflatable dingy's. Many of the boats that were abandoned were later found floating. Rule, don't leave the boat unless it is sinking.
As for the Alberg, we are an Alberg family, I still have my 30 I bought 32 years ago. Don't get to use it much now I am living in the mountains but I love her.
When I see the 3 or 4 Alberg designs at the local marina,I no longer see any other ...The small bright yellow Kittiewake will turn my head everytime I walk past..Shadowfax, a 20 something footer, low, sleek,very pleasing to the eye,always makes me smile..,
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 06:12   #49

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Whoops, I was mistaken. There are now four documented alberg 30 circumnavigations. Each done singlehanded, two completely by lone skippers, the other two singlehanded over at least three of the five oceans.

Terrell Adkisson, 1975 -78 aboard Altair, home port Port Arthur, Texas

Yves Gelanis, 1982 -83 aboard Jean Du Sud, hull # 399, home port, Ontario, Canada, via Cape Horn and the other great capes. creator of the Cap Horn windvane - Yves tested his cap horn prototype on his A30 during the voyage, and has made six oceans crossings in Jean du Sud since.

Kirk Little, 2008 2012 , aboard Salsa, still cruising San Blas, Panama after "crossing his outbound track near Colombia "

Paul Vibert, 2011 -2013, aboard Rough Bounds, built 1962, hull #25, home port Thunder Bay, Ontario
I saw Kirk off the dock in St Simons, GA with family and friends, where here was working with JAmes Baldwin to refit Salsa. You can read his blog http://www.sailingsalsa.com/
to learn more about the boat if you intend to go voyaging in an Alberg 30.

Hanging out with those guys that winter was a great experience, along with a spaniard who sailed his triton transatlantic home to the Canaries.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 07:22   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I have a lifelong bud who was the repair shop for most of the known boat manufacturers if they had a warranty problem, this was their guy. Ive seen him take a sawzall and cut the transom completely off what appear to be almost brand new boats!! They would drain water for weeks out of the foam. He says one little exposed fiber through the gel coat becomes a sponge. Amazingly enough, they looked new again when he finished. The reason I bring this guy up related to the ALBERG is because he told me that almost any fiberglass boat built before around 1971 is tougher than anything newer. According to him, something happened to the quality of the resins during the oil shortage in 1972. So for us guys who own the older boats, we have something you cannot replace these days, no way, no how!
I was told that a fire retardant addative in the resin is what messed up the boats after '71 or '72. And caused blistering. Anyone know for shure?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 22:56   #51

I have sailed on Alberg 30's over many years, and can vouch for their excellence. For one or two people, the A30 is a bullet-proof circumnavigator. See Yves Gelinas's video "Jean du Sud" and his amazing web site (you won't believe what he does with his boat). Like Yves, I have experienced dismasting on the A30, but you won't if you do these: (a) add interior support under the mast-step; (b) beef up the chainplates; (c) keep the standing rigging tight, and (d) make sure there is interior support in the mast between the spreaders.

The A30 is is remarkably fast for such a small rig, even in the lightest of airs, and points very well. This is not a Westsail! Years as mainsheet trimmer on one taught me that it won't turn downwind unless you let out the main.

Some posters may be confusing the Alberg 30 with the Contessa 32, a similar, slightly more modern but even stronger circumnavigator, famous for surviving the '79 Fastnet.
czarnajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 23:04   #52

Boat: P30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnehjim View Post
Thank you for your post
And thank you for your Dad's work.
I've always looked at Alberg's as beautiful boats.
Great boats

Tags
alberg, alberg 30