Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:28   #31

Re: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by damjan dan alaica View Post
i intend to sail solo from toronto via erie canal to bermuda/azores and on to med.
alberg 30 has been recommended as an ideal boat to do this singlehandedly.
any comments would be appreciated
I think the negative comments were taken out of context by some. The OP suggested it might be an 'ideal' boat to cross oceans single handed. While it's a fine old boat, many have crossed oceans, and it's small enough to single hand easily, it's certainly not 'ideal' for many of the reasons already posted. Most significantly the age of them.

If you added the caveat 'and my budget is only $15,000' then I would say yes, it might be ideal. However it is still an old design, an old boat, and built with old construction techniques. Hardly what I would call 'ideal' if my budget were $100,000, or even $50,000.

Capable after a major refit? Yes. Ideal? No
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44   #32

I would never buy any deep water cruiser, no matter who made it or where it came from or how much it cost unless it already had at least one transoceanic trip to its credit.
But, that's just me.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by damjan dan alaica View Post
hi there,
i intend to sail solo from toronto via erie canal to bermuda/azores and on to med.
alberg 30 has been recommended as an ideal boat to do this singlehandedly.
any comments would be appreciated
thanks
damjan
you joined C-F 8 years ago and this is only your second post. where have you been?
love the Alberg 30. it's on my short list.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57   #34

Omg you should ask...lol
I cant even start to describe. I also owned a 13 metre Rassmusen. Sold it last year and now am refitting the Alberg. Had some new electronics, dual input type stainless water heater, and a new fridge for the Rassmusen but now going into the Alberg.
Cant wait.
I spend more time on the water that I do on the computer.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Alberg himself cited a story of an Alberg riding out the 1979 storm which claimed 16 lives in the Fastnet race with little fanfare other than battening down the hatches, eating, drinking and playing cards.
It was one of the fastnet races. Im sure you could look it up. And it was 16 lives lost, not 6. My mistake.
Next question?
I suggest you read "Heavy Weather Sailing" by Peter Bruce. In fact, anyone who sails should read it - it's a brilliant and fascinating book. It includes relevant things here :

1) An analysis of all the storm-disasters that have befallen ocean races in the last, say, 60 years, including the Fastnet disaster. An interesting fact for fans of the modern racing monohull with wide stern sections, light construction, and poor ultimate stability is that the percentage of boats finishing races hit by storms has been steadily dropping over the decades.

2) An analysis of what makes a good, seaworthy, cruising boat. The Alberg is the personification of their recommendations, as is my Bristol 31.1.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15   #36

Isnt that something! I suppose that no longer vilifies us A30 guys. Bristols are super as well!!!
Id love to read it, thanks. My library at this point should go to some training school IF my boys dont grab it first. My oldest, Jeff has two sailboats. We have 14 in all in the family. Younger, Scott, doesnt particularly like sailing. He just likes to get there asap.
I freak every time I ride with him. 200 hp merc on a 19' fish/ski. I built my first hydroplane at age 13. Was in the fifties. Was the fastest thing on the lake for years. Powered by a Hurricaine 10 which was actually about 20 hp. While in college, a friends older brother who weighed about 300 pounds put a 35 hp motor on it. It is now at the bottom of the lake. One of those old Glen-L designs made with 2 sheets of ply.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:27   #37

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: albery 29 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesailor View Post
hi todd, I am looking at a 1983 Alberg 29 which is currently for sale in my area.
It looks to be in immaculate shape with lots of teak and updated everything
this would be my first boat and it has had only 2 owners. one from new until 1.5 years ago and the current owner who has had it for 1.5 years

asking price is 35,000

any thoughts?

Thanks
Hey Wannabe:

I've got a 1985 Bayfield 29C....heck, I'd sell it to you for, oh, 32,500, and I'd include all the new electronics, newly finished cushions, and if I had to I'd have all the deckwork refinished too!<grin> Just think of the fun you would have taking it down the Welland canal to Lake Ontario.

Shop around, there are some great deals out there right now, for less money, and lots of boat. The Arlberg is a nice boat, don't get me wrong, but in my mind, or at least what is left of it.....you can do much better than the deal offered. Have a look around, Toronto Yacht Sales, Pat Sturgeon sales, True North.........Yachtworld, sailboatlistings.com, freshwaterboats.com.....there truly are some good deals!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Any time you post something as controversial as the crew of an Alberg playing cards below while other boats are sinking around them, it would be nice to post a link.
Without it, its just hear-say and not very believable ...
The story is attributed to Carl Alberg, when discussing his designs, vs IOR designs.

... Alberg cited the example of an Alberg 35 on its way to England in 1979 that encountered a fierce storm off the coast of Ireland. "It was really blowing and though they shortened sails and did everything else they could in order to keep going, they eventually took everything off, went below, battened down the hatches and just ate, drank and played cards. When it had blown over they hoisted sail and continued to England, where they were told they had just sailed through the same gale that had taken 16 lives in the Fastnet race. They had ridden out the storm by just sitting in the cabin while everyone else was capsizing..."

Carl Alberg

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52   #39

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I think the boat is well suited to this task

I even bought a windvane from this guy!!
Cape Horns are wonderfull vanes. have had one for years!!. Alberg 30's and 37s are great boats but short on room below But for a single hander or a couple will take you anywhere and still most of the ones built are atill sailing.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 23:03   #40

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+

Alberg 30 is a great boat! Don't listen to anyone saying to buy a weekend like a Catalina, O'day, Irwin or Hunter. An Alber is a sailing boat, not a floating camper with a stick! Another great boat you can check out is the Yankee 30....I would look for one with a diesel. I bought an Alberg 30 with a Yanmar Diesel for $4k and she had new standing rigging! Check on Craigs list, seems like they get a bunch of small boats.....Good luck!
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 19:23   #41

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

I've owned a 1968 Alberg 30 for seven years now and have found the comments about having excessive weatherhelm, "old fashioned" construction, and unsuitability for single handed ocean passages to be absolutely without merit. In fact three singlehanded sailors have completed circumnavigations in Alberg 30's, the most recent two sailors finished their voyages this year - in 40 year old boats! So much for outdated construction technique.

In fact, the A 30 sails exceptionally well in jeavy weather and light air alike, and has almost no weather helm, IF you learn how to trim the mainsail. People who dont learn sail trim are likely to experience weather helm in any boat, regardless of design.

The vessels are more narrow than modern designs, but actually take ocean conditions better, with less pounding than wide bodied fin keelers. BTW Alberg keels and rudders dont fall off, their deck hull joints dont break loose and leak and bulkheads stay intact, unlike any number of lightly designed modern designs. A final note, Alberg construction is highly resistant to blistering, unlike many newer designs, and are known for virtually no structural issues due to osmosis.

I equiped my boat with a Cap Horn Windvane and roller furling headsail, and singlehand in all weather without problems.

So I would say to anyone looking for a supberb singlehanded boat, consider an A30, and you won't be disappointed.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 22:21   #42

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Alberg 30s are great boats like old Volvos, diesel Mercedes or never-seen-salt Land Rovers are great cars. Few amenities except a strong feeling they will get you home, and you can fix anything on them on the way.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 22:37   #43

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Whoops, I was mistaken. There are now four documented alberg 30 circumnavigations. Each done singlehanded, two completely by lone skippers, the other two singlehanded over at least three of the five oceans.

Terrell Adkisson, 1975 -78 aboard Altair, home port Port Arthur, Texas

Yves Gelanis, 1982 -83 aboard Jean Du Sud, hull # 399, home port, Ontario, Canada, via Cape Horn and the other great capes. creator of the Cap Horn windvane - Yves tested his cap horn prototype on his A30 during the voyage, and has made six oceans crossings in Jean du Sud since.

Kirk Little, 2008 2012 , aboard Salsa, still cruising San Blas, Panama after "crossing his outbound track near Colombia "

Paul Vibert, 2011 -2013, aboard Rough Bounds, built 1962, hull #25, home port Thunder Bay, Ontario
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 23:52   #44

I have a lifelong bud who was the repair shop for most of the known boat manufacturers if they had a warranty problem, this was their guy. Ive seen him take a sawzall and cut the transom completely off what appear to be almost brand new boats!! They would drain water for weeks out of the foam. He says one little exposed fiber through the gel coat becomes a sponge. Amazingly enough, they looked new again when he finished. The reason I bring this guy up related to the ALBERG is because he told me that almost any fiberglass boat built before around 1971 is tougher than anything newer. According to him, something happened to the quality of the resins during the oil shortage in 1972. So for us guys who own the older boats, we have something you cannot replace these days, no way, no how!
Old 17-01-2014, 06:05   #45

Boat: P30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
Whoops, I was mistaken. There are now four documented alberg 30 circumnavigations. Each done singlehanded, two completely by lone skippers, the other two singlehanded over at least three of the five oceans.

Terrell Adkisson, 1975 -78 aboard Altair, home port Port Arthur, Texas

Yves Gelanis, 1982 -83 aboard Jean Du Sud, hull # 399, home port, Ontario, Canada, via Cape Horn and the other great capes. creator of the Cap Horn windvane - Yves tested his cap horn prototype on his A30 during the voyage, and has made six oceans crossings in Jean du Sud since.

Kirk Little, 2008 2012 , aboard Salsa, still cruising San Blas, Panama after "crossing his outbound track near Colombia "

Paul Vibert, 2011 -2013, aboard Rough Bounds, built 1962, hull #25, home port Thunder Bay, Ontario

I met Paul on a fuel dock after waiting out some weather at the beginning of his trip Sept. 2011.
Glad to hear he completed his trip

Tags
alberg, alberg 30