Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 06:20   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Air Conditioning in Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
It's maybe tacky but a swamp/window a/c and Honda genny makes the most sense, imho and experience. For both financial and space reasons. If you have storage somewhere from a home base while cruising a region (a car, dock box, a friends garage) the swamp cooler makes a lot of sense. Might only use 10 days in a season. How can one justify spending $2000-3,000? Hell, even if you're on the move and don't want to lug it around while not using it for 6 months, sell it and buy a used one when you need one again.
Many cruisers do this as they prepare to store their boats for off season in marinas...buy a cheap window unit to cool the boat and act as a dehumidifier. Sell it when done. Move on and repeat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:33   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Swamp coolers are outstanding in the Desert SW of the United States, but won't do much for a boat.
If they would it would be great, cause that would be the Holy grail a lot are looking for, a 12VDC airconditioner that doesn't pull a huge amount of amps
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:47   #63

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Swamp coolers are outstanding in the Desert SW of the United States, but won't do much for a boat.
If they would it would be great, cause that would be the Holy grail a lot are looking for, a 12VDC airconditioner that doesn't pull a huge amount of amps

Im working on it

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:35   #64

Boat: Sadler Starlight 39 - Kathleen Love

One of the irritants in more popular anchorages are the power boats that shut themselves inside in the evening but keep a generator going to run the AC. Presumably, being closed in THEY are not diturbed y the noise of the generator. Similarly, those sialing boats with portable generators which they put on the bathing platform to minimize the noise disturbance to THEM!
Gillian Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:33   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian Mulcahy View Post
One of the irritants in more popular anchorages are the power boats that shut themselves inside in the evening but keep a generator going to run the AC. Presumably, being closed in THEY are not diturbed y the noise of the generator. Similarly, those sialing boats with portable generators which they put on the bathing platform to minimize the noise disturbance to THEM!
Interesting....so you are saying that some sailors would rather listen to their portable generators than their neighbor's non portable generators?

To be honest, I don't know which one is noisier...or more irritating. I thought the generator on our chartered cat was pretty quiet. We certainly weren't bothered by our neighbor's generators when we were on a boat without one.......actually couldn't hear much since we would have a couple of noisy fans blowing on us.

I've read this before....some complaining of generator noise. Now I'm curious.....is this some universal bad neighbor issue?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:01   #66

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Interesting....so you are saying that some sailors would rather listen to their portable generators than their neighbor's non portable generators?

To be honest, I don't know which one is noisier...or more irritating. I thought the generator on our chartered cat was pretty quiet. We certainly weren't bothered by our neighbor's generators when we were on a boat without one.......actually couldn't hear much since we would have a couple of noisy fans blowing on us.

I've read this before....some complaining of generator noise. Now I'm curious.....is this some universal bad neighbor issue?
Comment removed. Mod.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:12   #67

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post

I have personally not had much of an issue with the diesel ones as the wash of water from the cooling flow is kind of calming and the ones I experienced have not been that loud to be honest. I think complaints there are almost traditional sail vs power rigamarole.

The ones I think most people have the biggest issues with are the Honda portables (the briefcases). They run at a much higher rpm and are placed right over the water, so clatter louder and the sound carries all over. Also the exhaust can smell. The sole consolation is that sometimes these bite back with a a CO backwash into the offending boat. BAD JOKE but everyone using these please be careful and investigate airflow over your transom.

I slept in the cockpit in boot key from May to June and then through the Bahamas and the pamlico, so have had ample opportunity to compare.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:59   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I have personally not had much of an issue with the diesel ones as the wash of water from the cooling flow is kind of calming and the ones I experienced have not been that loud to be honest. I think complaints there are almost traditional sail vs power rigamarole.

The ones I think most people have the biggest issues with are the Honda portables (the briefcases). They run at a much higher rpm and are placed right over the water, so clatter louder and the sound carries all over. Also the exhaust can smell. The sole consolation is that sometimes these bite back with a a CO backwash into the offending boat. BAD JOKE but everyone using these please be careful and investigate airflow over your transom.

I slept in the cockpit in boot key from May to June and then through the Bahamas and the pamlico, so have had ample opportunity to compare.

After reading a bit about Honda generators, I was wondering how noisy they would be.

I'm guessing the topic of running a generator at night has been well discussed before. For us, and at our locations, wasn't an issue at all.

Thanks for the reasoned reply.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:27   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Honda's aren't that bad, especially if you tailor the load so that they can be run in eco mode.
However, there are many less expensive ones out there that are particularly noisy.

I started out with two Honda's run in parallel so that they could be run in eco mode, however I quickly came to the conclusion that if your going to be cruising and unless airconditioner use is very rare, your better off with a built in generator.
Setting up the Honda's quickly became a pain, wouldn't be so bad if I stayed at anchor and could leave them set up, but to stay a couple of days and then move meant tearing them down draining the fuel and packing everything away.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:22   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I have to present my opinion that our favorite nights at anchor are with no bugs, no noisy neighbors, no city lights and balmy weather, but I do best when I can tolerate other conditions without much complaint.

Certainly, people are different. My wife can't sleep in total silence. This puzzles me, but I put up with a fan. I don't sleep well with a breeze on my head, so my wife takes the aim of the fan. The humm of generators don't really bother either of us, but I would hesitate to run mine next to an anchored neighbor who is not running a generator. I was raised in South Florida without air conditioning, so I find it easy to sleep uncovered in humid air. My wife was raised in Michigan and can't sleep well without the weight of a blanket.

Some people are proud of a "refined" environment with all the power consuming amenities.

Some people are proud of adapting to the natural world without any power consuming amenities.

Neither of these groups of people should have any cause to disrespect the others.

I guess I could not have been married for 46 years if I could not accept another's opinion.
Old 08-11-2016, 17:55   #71

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Honda's aren't that bad
[SNIP]
I started out with two Honda's
Selectively edited so I could say something snide like, "says the guy who used to use TWO Hondas!!!"

I have noticed recently, that all the boats I've been on, new and old, that were 40' or larger had a diesel genset tucked away somewhere. So I imagine air conditioning will very quickly become much more ubiquitous than it is today since the power is in place.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 18:15   #72

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

For me, the generator engine noise isn't the problem, it's the water being forcibly ejected from the exhaust at semi irregular frequency.

If those who insist on running a generator all night in an anchorage would spend the small amount of cash required to put a water separator on the exhaust and have their AC water discharge just at the water line, then most of this discussion wouldn't exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:42   #73

Updating old posts: so after owning 2x16k BTU AC and spending time in Caribbean:
1. June/July is hot, December still warm for sure, but much wetter.
2. If in marinas where there is less wind, AC was incredibly appreciated--especially in summer.
3. If you need to work from the boat at times, AC was greatly appreciated.

In summary, I would absolutely install it again and probably do more.
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 18:39   #74

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

[QUOTE=EvilRabbit;
2. If in marinas where there is less wind, AC was incredibly appreciated--especially in summer..[/QUOTE]
Except by your marina neighbors without air who had to listen to your a/c run all night with the noise of pouring water to keep them awake all night
Old 04-07-2021, 18:42   #75

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Except by your marina neighbors without air who had to listen to your a/c run all night with the noise of pouring water to keep them awake all night

That’s a legitimate gripe in an Anchorage, but I’m pretty sure you’ll get no sympathy in a marina.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, Caribbean, rib