Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2016, 10:52   #46

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Air Conditioning in Caribbean?

Absolutely no way I would have a boat without AC in the tropics unless I was planning on using it only in the winter. And I love it hot. But there's no way to sleep when you have to close the cabin against mosquitos (even miles offshore) in the summertime, and even if you want to grin and bear it, your guests will never come back. Flyscreens are of little help.

My opinion. Pete

Old 04-02-2016, 12:22   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Absolutely no way I would have a boat without AC in the tropics unless I was planning on using it only in the winter. And I love it hot. But there's no way to sleep when you have to close the cabin against mosquitos (even miles offshore) in the summertime, and even if you want to grin and bear it, your guests will never come back. Flyscreens are of little help.

My opinion. Pete
Kind of like why not have a/c in a car. BTW, in the tropical pacific its not the mosquitoes but the little black flies, fleas, and bats that will make your night miserable, if not deadly. Tropical coastline of South america you got deadly spiders that sail forth. A closed boat is an alive boat. You can also use your a/c to distill(close enough) water.

Old 04-02-2016, 13:15   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post

My opinion. Pete
OP said Dec-March. No ac , no problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 14:43   #49

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5331.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	118308
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Ditto...still no!

See this picture Monte? This is the face of a gal that has had it with the wind scoop and wants an air conditioner. BIG GRIN

Ok ok....The OP did mention winter months. However, we did roast at night in October....definitely too hot to cuddle, so we would sleep on deck......which is ok til it rained...EVERY night!!!

Still a BIG yes for an air conditioner.
Old 04-02-2016, 15:20   #50

Guess you folks never been to the Carib in the winter. Feb. is in the mid to upper 80s, March can get to the lower 90s. In any case its humid, with a high dew point( around 70). Can get real muggy. So if you are just hanging around in Dec and Jan, probably cool enough, but just barely.
Of course if you get south of Puerto Rico, it gets even hotter and muggier. Once your off the coast of S.A., it can get very uncomfy, not including the biting bugs.
Old 04-02-2016, 16:56   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

It depends on the boat. If you have a deck saloon with big windows, its a greenhouse and aircon is probably necessary. Otherwise a few fans will do.
Old 06-02-2016, 15:55   #52

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

At the dock, certainly would have liked to have had it in places like Nanny Key, but to adapt, we never spent the heat of the day in the boat. We would grab a chaise lounger out on the point where the breeze was good. That and a palm tree or umbrella for shade will suffice. Once the sun goes down, your good.
Old 07-02-2016, 15:04   #53

Boat: Oyster 66

No aircon needed Dec 1 to Feb 28 even in marinas. Outside that time it is needed only in windless marinas unless you like to live rougher than me. I do like it warm though. I often have a jumper on at dawn or use a blanket in bed in winter.
Old 07-02-2016, 18:49   #54

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Even if you anchor out a lot like we did it is nice to occasionally go into a marina to put a good charge on the batteries and run the AC to dry everything out. Keeps the mildew in check and the batteries happy. Also convenient to pick up/drop off crew. Out on the hook no need for it at all - the wind takes care of it.
Old 30-10-2016, 21:25   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Attachment 118308

This is the face of a gal that has had it with the wind scoop and wants an air conditioner. BIG GRIN

Ok ok....The OP did mention winter months. However, we did roast at night in October....definitely too hot to cuddle, so we would sleep on deck......which is ok til it rained...EVERY night!!!

Still a BIG yes for an air conditioner.
I gave this subject A LOT of thought after just having spent another 2 weeks in the BVIs.

We chartered 2 different boats...one had a generator and air con, the other did not. Bottom line.....NO frigging way would we ever own a boat without air con. Huge difference...we loved being icy cool and bug free.

I don't care who you are.....even anchored away from shore it was hot at night....sometimes buggy and wet. Fans and air scoop helped but not even a CLOSE comparison to the comfort we had with the air con on and hatches closed.
Old 31-10-2016, 09:08   #56

Boat: Bristol 45.5

We spent years cruising in the Caribbean and other tropical spots and never (as in not once) turned our a/c on except to check that it still worked. We kept hatches open and sometimes used a wind scoop and had no problems with feeling too hot or with bugs. Guess it is a personal thing. Can't imagine wanting to put up with a/c and genset noise.
Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 09:23   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We spent years cruising in the Caribbean and other tropical spots and never (as in not once) turned our a/c on except to check that it still worked. We kept hatches open and sometimes used a wind scoop and had no problems with feeling too hot or with bugs. Guess it is a personal thing. Can't imagine wanting to put up with a/c and genset noise.
Looks like we MAY be in the minority as it appears many cruisers neither want nor need air con in the tropics. Heck, some cruisers like the Cates don't even have a BIMINI for cripes sake. Viva la difference.

I'm guessing we are just spoiled and soft....really soft. Though not nearly as big a deal as not having a genset and air con, .....We won't cruise with one of those hand pump toilet things and non dedicated kitchen sprayer type showers either. Uh uh...no way .....Admiral rules.:big grin:
Old 31-10-2016, 10:00   #58

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

"hand pump toilet things ...."

That is funny.
Old 31-10-2016, 10:40   #59

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Lets face it we would all have AC on board our boats if it didn't take so much power.

Regards
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:05   #60

It's maybe tacky but a swamp/window a/c and Honda genny makes the most sense, imho and experience. For both financial and space reasons. If you have storage somewhere from a home base while cruising a region (a car, dock box, a friends garage) the swamp cooler makes a lot of sense. Might only use 10 days in a season. How can one justify spending $2000-3,000? Hell, even if you're on the move and don't want to lug it around while not using it for 6 months, sell it and buy a used one when you need one again.

Tags
air conditioning, Caribbean, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: