Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2014, 13:45   #1

Boat: Pearson 36.2
Advice on Chartering in the SVI

My family and I would like to charter a boat in the Spanish Virgin Islands this winter but do not have any experience with that part of the Caribbean. We have chartered several times in the BVI and the Grenadines but are looking for a new challenge. Also, the airfare from Baltimore to RoadTown, Tortola is getting ridiculous and so are crowds.

We would like to go sometime between January and March (7 or 8 days).

How does the sailing compare to that of the BVI and Grenadines?
Is it still line of sight?
Are there a lot of designated anchorages with moorings?
What about provisioning? In the BVI we had it delivered to the boat which was fantastic.
Can anyone recommend some destinations?

Any and all advice, insights, info, anecdotes, etc. will be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Alex M.

Old 22-08-2014, 22:59   #2

Re: Advice on Chartering in the SVI

There is only one option in my opinion. Sail Caribe in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. All sailing is line of sight. Unspoiled and beautiful.
Way less beach bar scene but options ashore too as well as lots if cool anchorages and mooring balls if you want them. Best answer is to call Debbie at Sail Caribe or check out their website where they have a suggested itinerary. Culebrita is wonderful. Hanging out in Vieques is amazing. Try the SVI. You will not be disappointed.
Btw in full disclosure I have a relationship with Sail Caribe and own a couple of boats with them and am super happy with the Sail C
Caribe team.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 22-08-2014, 23:31   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Skeeko

I agree that the SVI are a wonderful place to sail. When I went we chartered from BVI and sailed to USVI and SVI and back. Certainly doable but next time I'd like to charter (or crew) out of Fajardo and I think its easier in a few ways.

You can really find secluded islands and beaches (you really do wonder where the people are) and usually there is no one in sight all day. Great for sunbathing and swimmng au naturel.

Sally
Old 23-08-2014, 03:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Azulia.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 05:34   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Advice on Chartering in the SVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azulia View Post
There is only one option in my opinion. Sail Caribe in Fajardo, Puerto Rico. All sailing is line of sight. Unspoiled and beautiful.
Way less beach bar scene but options ashore too as well as lots if cool anchorages and mooring balls if you want them. Best answer is to call Debbie at Sail Caribe or check out their website where they have a suggested itinerary. Culebrita is wonderful. Hanging out in Vieques is amazing. Try the SVI. You will not be disappointed.
Btw in full disclosure I have a relationship with Sail Caribe and own a couple of boats with them and am super happy with the Sail C
Caribe team.

Welcome to the forum Azulia.

To the OP----
There are a few options for charter companies if you'd like to visit the SVI. Which one is best for you is really dependent on many factors. What type, manufacturer, and size of boat do you want to be on? Do you enjoy your time actually sailing or do you want really short hops between destinations? You can sail line of site from pretty much anywhere in the BVI, USVI and SVI depending on your route, so don't let that be of any concern. Here is a link to a thread on another forum discussing the same thing. http://www.traveltalkonline.com/foru...fpart=all&vc=1
Enjoy your trip with whomever you end up sailing with!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:13   #6
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

You'll find the sailing pretty much the same as the BVIs, slightly less protected but that's about it. Still line of sight and loads of places to anchor, you'll be walked through all the best spots on arrival. Provisioning not a problem the charter base at Fajardo has plenty of options to provision. If your looking to get away fro the crowds of the BVIs I couldn't recommend the Spanish Virgin Islands enough.

I would suggest picking up the yacht at Fajardo there are quite a few to compare
SAILBEAT - Yacht Listings

If you have anymore questions please feel free to private message me

Tags
charter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: