Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 08:36   #1

Abacos in feb, next charter after BVI's

Hello

I have a question which has been asked before on the forum but I have slightly different set of criteria.

Went to the bvi's with my girlfriend in June and loved it, we had a 36ft from Sunsail and it was fantastic. Although it was rather hot! Everything else was perfect, we had one day with winds around 25knots which was about as much as my girlfriend would be still in vacation mode in.

Regarding the Abacos in feb my concerns are:-

- I'd like to use Sunsail again as they were good, although other suggestions welcome.
- With the two of us we could only afford / I'd prefer a monohull. That's the 36 & that has a 6 foot draft
- is that too much for the area? a quick look at the charts I can find online seems to show we'd be anchoring out most of the time and having to make diversions to get to places.
- are you always worrying about the depth? I'd like to sail around not steam up and down a channel.

We were looking at grenadines or even the bvi's etc which I think might be better but the prices are much higher till later in the season (when it's really hot!) we'd like to go early feb if possible.

Any comments suggestions welcome. We aren't too worried about nightlife just want to sail and relax in the sunshine.
iainonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 08:57   #2
TJR

Re: Abacos in feb, next charter after BVI's

6' will be ok, less will be better. There's a few areas you would need to watch the tide (Little Harbor, Tilloo Bank, and Lubbers Bank). Outside of that, you should be good to go.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 13:21   #3

Thank you TJR
Old 16-12-2012, 13:44   #4

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

The Bahamas can be pretty cold and windy in Feb.
Old 16-12-2012, 13:46   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

6 ft is a pain but OK. It wont be too hot but the fronts come through and it gets windy and "Cool". We winter in the Abacos so we get plenty of good days but with only a week you could have a few blowy days. We like the cool nights.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 14:13   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

If you can postpone your trip to the second half of April, you'll get better charter prices and a nicer weather forecast/window. Watch that 6 ft keel! Learn how to dislodge yourself if you hit a sandbar; a "bare-boat charter" sailing course should show you how and allow you to practice it. If you hit a sand bar, you will need to tilt the boat to about 25-35 degree angle, to get dislodged. Your dinghy will be used to pull on the main sail's sheet/line, until the boat tilts and get freed from the sand bar. Gentle rocking will do it, most of the time. Then, slowly power up to move away. If all else fails, you will need to call a marina/your charter company and get towed; a very pricey proposition. That is the main reason to get a boat with a keel that is preferably less than 5 feet. Another reason to consider, is the reduced speed/increased drag with a bigger draft. Have fun!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 14:25   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

My concern would be temp. We found the BVI to be "cold" - at least by comparison to past trips in May, July, Oct and Nov. I'd go in February again, but I doubt I'd go further north where it would be even cooler. I'd probably consider going further south instead.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 19:03   #8

Thanks all. I get the feeling I should be looking at other more simple options, with more open water. I have sailed in what I think would be similar conditions, near key largo, on the gulf side. That was single handed in an o day 22 with a swing keel. On occasion I did touch the bottom (sand) and ended up sailing along the marked channels for the most part. Of course swing keel meant it was easy to sort out!
Old 16-12-2012, 19:39   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

What are you looking for in a destination? Is the goal to do a lot of sailing or is sailing just a means of getting around and you want to spend more time doing activities? What made you look at the Bahama's?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 20:20   #10

Boat: csy 37

go to the abacos - you're girlfriend will love it. for a good look at what you'll find there get steve dodges cruising guide to the abacos. well worth the thirty bucks and when you go it will serve you well with courses, anchorages, tides, and lots of sailorly information.

we go there with five feet. i'm surprised that sunsail boats have six. still, you will be able to go most places with six, and many more by watching your tides. sailing in the sea of abaco with nice breezes but no seas is a treat. and you can anchor anywhere. literally anywhere.

but unless you're from the frozen north you may think the water in winter is a bit cold, so consider moving it up to april. if you go in early july, you'll catch the big sailing regatta and the free beer and rum at the after race parties....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 04:18   #11

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Sure you might have a few bad days but the sailing is great in the Abacos. 6 Ft draft is easy ...just be careful on some harbor entrences.

Some local helpful non commercial web sites:

Hopetownsailingclub.com
barometerbob.com (And links to more)

If you do charter here listen to the cruisers net on VHF68 at 8:15 in the AM.

Perhaps you can get a ride on the "Rage"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride the pry.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	51333  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 05:46   #12

The Sunsail 36's that they charter in the Abacos have a shallower draft than the ones that they charter in the BVI. Go to their website and take a look at the specs. In the Abacos the 36 that you'll get will have a draft of less than 5 feet.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 07:36   #13

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainonline View Post
Thanks all. I get the feeling I should be looking at other more simple options, with more open water.
"Simple" comes in different forms.

The shallowness off the Bahama banks can create navigational challenges one may not find elsewhere, but you also have wide open easy anchorages, and extremely protected conditions overall in the sea of Abaco. February can have it's cold fronts - something else to consider.

I've found the Abaco base to be very helpful and convenient, but why the Moorings and Sunsail have been moving to deeper draft boats for that location there is something I truly don't understand.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
...but why the Moorings and Sunsail have been moving to deeper draft boats for that location there is something I truly don't understand.
They're not. I suspect that the OP simply assumed that his 36' boat in the Abacos would have the same draft as his 36' boat in the BVI had. In fact, Sunsail and The Moorings--as you might expect--use shallower draft boats in the Abacos than they do other locations where draft is not as much of an issue.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 13:11   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
They're not. I suspect that the OP simply assumed that his 36' boat in the Abacos would have the same draft as his 36' boat in the BVI had. In fact, Sunsail and The Moorings--as you might expect--use shallower draft boats in the Abacos than they do other locations where draft is not as much of an issue.

I own a Moorings boat in the BVIs. (recently moved to Footloose) It has a draft of 4'11." http://footloosecharters.com/fleet_details.asp?fttype=3232K (I also own a Hunter with a 4' 3" draft)

I also trade time every winter in the Abacos, and so wish I could get the same draft. According to the Moorings website, the shallowest draft monohull they currently offer in the Abacos under 42 feet is their 37.5 with a 6 foot draft. Moorings 37.2

(They used to have a 35 with less draft but they seem to have given that up in favor of the deeper draft 37.)

If they have a mono under 40 feet with a draft as shallow as my boat in the BVIs that is available in the Abacos that I'm missing, please point it out to me so I can reserve it for my next charter! - Thanks.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco