Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2015, 07:33   #1

Abacos

We're new to this forum and hope we can get ideas for our June vacation aboard a power cat in the Abacos. 3 adults 2teenagers. We love snorkeling and fishing. Favorite things to do, places to eat, and islands to visit? How far would you travel? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:25   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Abacos

We love the Abacos. You will probably pick up your boat in Marsh Harbour. First stop should be Hopetown. Take a mooring ball and spend two days there. One day walking the town and the lighthouse, one day rent a golf cart or two and tour the island.
Then to Manowar cay. A few hours will cover the town. Then on to Great Guana. A day or two there. Nippers is the famous hotspot there. Not sure if your leasing company will allow you to go around the Whale to Green Turtle, but if they do its also worth a day or two.
But first, before you do anything else, get the Steve Dodge Cruising Guide to Abaco.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:33   #3

Thanks! We have the cruising guide. Any personal preferences on snorkeling sites, wrecks, or fishing tips?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:48   #4

We've spent several trips (bareboat and land-based) in Abaco and love the snorkeling there! Johnny's Cay, located between Elbow Cay and Man-O-War and Fowl Cay, between MOW and Guana, are both great spots when the sun is high. There's also a nice barrier reef off of Guana that's accessible off of Nipper's Bar on the ocean-side of the island.

We also like heading south towards Little Harbor. Tilloo Banks is a huge, sandy area where you can often see rays. It's a nice lunch spot and we've even overnighted there. Further south is Sandy Cay and Pelican Cay land/sea park - one of the best snorkeling spots we've ever been. You can stop there before or after Little Harbor if you want to go that far.

I agree that Green Turtle is a great island if you're charter company will allow you to head that far north. If you want a little more seclusion, head even further north to Manjack. There's some nice beaches on the north side of Manjack and a great anchorage on the south side near Rat Cay.

Enjoy your trip!

Amy
Old 09-05-2015, 08:56   #5

Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

on Manjack and Little Harbor
Old 09-05-2015, 16:15   #6

Boat: csy 37

What Swifty says...
Old 11-05-2015, 19:47   #7

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Fowl Cay is the snorkel spot

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 12-05-2015, 13:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Fowl Cay has good snorkeling. Sandy Cay is smaller but convenient. Even though it's "inside" it can get big swells in strong easterlies. The reef is very close to shore off the the NE tip of Great Guana. You can swim to it from the Beach in about a minute, so that's nice option if some people want to enjoy the Beach while others snorkel. There are a couple coral heads in the bay as well. I've also hit the reef north of Elbow, and north of Manjack and north of No Name - all good, just not quite as convenient. Obviously weather dependent.

My favorite small town is New Plymouth on Green Turtle Cay followed closely by Hope Town on Elbow Cay.

Manjack has trails that can be walked as well as a very long ocean side beach. Places in the southern Abacos I have often had an anchorage and bay all to myself include: Powell (sometimes), Manjack, north two bays, No Name, Whale, Spoil, Water, and Snake/Deep Sea , Bucaroon Bay, Spencers Bight, Bight of Old Robinson and maybe Lynyard. The "creek" behind Seep Sea is a fun to explore with dinghy at higher tide.

Sadly lobster are out of season in June. Spearing Lionfish is very easy, but one has to be extremely careful cleaning them to avoid their venomous stingers. We've caught a couple fish trolling as we go around the Whale, and I've caught a few small fish such as snapper inside with bait.

When I've chartered out of Marsh Harbour, I much prefer provisioning myself to having them do it, both for to have just what I want as well as cost. It's maybe a mile or so to the grocery store from the marinas and you easily take a taxi back.

It sounds like you are chartering, but if not, consider some of the many wonderful cays north of those I've mentioned, especially if you want more isolation. The Carter Cays, Umbrella, Fish Cays, and Allan's-Pensacola are some of my personal favorites up that way.

I don't eat out a lot, but when I do often hit a place that has free wifi such as Snappas in Marsh Harbour or Pineapples on Green Turtle. Curly Tails as the Sunsail/Moorings base has a nice harbour view. Captain Jack's in Hope Town is another I like. If you want to see a town that is less touristy stop in at Coopers Town.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:06   #9

Boat: Privilege 435

Go as far south as Little Harbour, it's a must stop. You shouldn't have much issues with entrance in the cat but stick to rising tide if possible or at least time your arrival and departure well away from low tide. There are moorings available that you pay at Pete's Pub < great restaurant for the whole family. Fun beach to explore behind Pete's or take a morning walk up to the old light house. Plenty of little turtles there in the harbour as well.

In addition to the suggestions offered by others, your charter company will point out good snorkeling spots no doubt.

There are plenty of great restaurants in Hope Town as well as a fun place to walk around for all. Go up the working light house for a perfect place to get some scenic pictures.

Agree that if you can get up to Green Turtle Cay, it's worth exploring for at least a day and plenty of golf carts available to rent to get to the reef side for swimming.

I've spent quite a bit of time in the Abacos aboard a sailboat and would be happy to suggest restaurants. PM with your preferences (local eats, nice dining, cheap, etc) and I'll happily offer some ideas you might want to try.

Tags
abaco

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: