Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 07:32   #1

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
A week in jamaica

Hi all, on the 27th of March we will be going to runaway Bay jamaica for a week.
If any of you are close, we would love to treat you to a bottle of rum in exchange for a tour of your boat. All in the interest of exposure to as many different models as possible.
We are 2-3 years out from buying, and are still open to all options, and number of hulls;-)
We are easy going and friendly Canadians in our early forties.
Thanks
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 17:49   #2

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
Re: A week in jamaica

My wife and I have been going to Jamaica for 25 years and actually HAVE boated while there. We have a friend with a boat in MoBay. Without painting with too large of a brush, people in Jamaica with boats is a very rare thing. There are hardly any there at all. With just one marina in MoBay, one in Port Antonio (and one boatyard), none in Negril, and only a couple in the capital of Kingston, just about the only boaters there are a few rich Jamaicans that are connected enough to get around the huge taxes and tariffs on boats down there. There are a lot of sport fish boats and tour boats in MoBay and only tour boats in Ochy. Virtually no live aboards anywhere. Moreover, with no support businesses for boaters. It is far cheaper to fly to the MIA West Marine and just smuggle the parts you need in thru customs calling it a hair dryer.

In addition, the island itself, lying east/west, the predominate winds south of Cuba don't make it a very good sailing island at all. Like ever. They get a few people that are just passing thru to Panama or other points west from time to time, but that's about it.

But hey! I would love to hear someone that is actually there, speak up.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:05   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

My wife and I are planning to stop in Kingston on our way to Panama. We ‘should’ be there in early May of 2018. PM me for my email address. We would be delighted to meet you and show you our boat as long as you promise not to be too critical.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:50   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
My wife and I are planning to stop in Kingston on our way to Panama. We ‘should’ be there in early May of 2018. PM me for my email address. We would be delighted to meet you and show you our boat as long as you promise not to be too critical.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Thanks, but a little late. We went about a year ago. We had a great time. Enjoy your trip there
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jamaica