Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 03:30   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A Modern Pompei ~ Plymouth, Montserrat

Soufriere - Montserrat

A growing lava dome looms above the crater of the Soufriere Hills volcano on the Caribbean island of Montserrat, on April 3, 2007.
The volcano became active in the late 1990s. Since it began to erupt in 1995, Soufriere has destroyed almost the entire southern half of Montserrat, laying waste to hospitals, businesses, government buildings and the airport.

Montserrat Stories & Pics:

The Volcanic Drama at Montserrat

Pics: Plymouth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000000-32424296-085_med.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1127  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:57   #2

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Just a Puff

Picture of the flow from an overlook. It shows the top of the Volcano all of the way to the sea. We took this pick when visiting there in 2006. The sight made for a pause and a large amount of reflection. The devastation is amazing.

http://www.sv-makai.com/images/2006_image/flow.jpg
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:26   #3

i actually sailed by monserrat the day the volcano blew. i left nevis at 3 am under a very strange, blood red moon with all the dogs ashore barking like mad. i even mentionned mt st helen's to my partner at the time, as the dogs barked in the same crazy manner that night and i guess i speak dog. the sun had risen when we reached monserrat. the smoke was very thick, couldn't see the bow of the boat, and i went below which was also full of smoke with my two little dogs, refusing my trick at the helm for the first (and only) time in my personal history because my partner refused to tack to the east coast, saying that it was only 14nm or somesuch and we had the tack. big cargo ships were exiting the piers and i heard them on the radio but couldn't see or hear anything; we were about 2nm offshore. one said he was headed for antigua and i was relieved he was going the other way. it was like sailing through a swirling ashtray and i was thinking the doggies were like canaries in a coal mine. when we cleared the southern tip of the island, we could see again; monserrat was inside of a grey smoke bomb, chunks of rock plopping into the sea.
plymouth was such a great town.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Montserrat