Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2013, 06:25   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
A Happy Ending

The story of the loss of Wolfhound in February, motivates me to relate an event which took place late May/ early June 2012.
I recieved an E-mail, via 2 other intermediaries, to ask my assistance in helping a Bowman 40 get into Bermuda.
The E-mail was from a 50 year old friendship here in BDA, he having met the couple in a marina in Florida.
The English couple on board, who had cruised the boat continuously for 11 years on our side of the Atlantic and Caribbean, had been caught in a severe storm 400 miles west of BDA. Under torn main and staysail they were limping to windward toward BDA. I was able to obtain their sailmail ID, and told them I would help. As they had never been to BDA, and had intended to go over to top, direcly back to UK, they had no charts for BDA.
With a number of exchanges of position and speed, we were able to determine that they should spot Gibbs Hill light at about 0230 at approx 30 miles I advised them to keep the light well to port, which would bring them down the south side of BDA, as the north side is treacherous, with reefs out 9 miles.
In the meantime, I had spoken to an operator friend at Bda Harbour Radio, who co-incidentally was coming on for the night watch, and given him the story, name of boat and crew, and my instructions to stay south.
He said he would watch for them on Radar and see them in.
G & G had taken quite a beating, and told me later that they had never been more relieved than to hear that Cornish accent come over the radio, and ask if this blip was K******, with G&G aboard.
He regurlarly checked in with them, and saw them to the East end by daylight and safely into St Georges.
G & G stayed a while, fixed the damage, we enjoyed some good times, and became great friends.
While this account contains a lot of " I DID ", I cannot emphasize strongly enough, how we islanders respect the co operation of our Harbour Radio, and the USCG, for our safety.
What made me think of this was that he also worked the Wolfhound incident.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:32   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: A Happy Ending

Thanks for sharing this successful account of help and cooperation for those in peril.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:11   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

+
a lot of people under estimate the severety of the weather around bermuda in may/june!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:46   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: A Happy Ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+
a lot of people under estimate the severety of the weather around bermuda in may/june!
LOL... you can say that again... been beaten up there myself and forced back to Beaufort for repairs...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

I'll bet every guy on CF clicked on this thread to see what the happy ending was about...

Glad it was still a happy ending!

Good story.... JOB WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30   #6

Bermuda Harbor Radio is quite amazing. I think they first contacted us when we were 20 miles out and asked us to check in--they must have a very high radar location to know we were there. Our timing for arriving in Bermuda in May was perfect (by luck)--one day before a big gale that rolled a 70-foot sailboat and damaged several others. Then when we went on to Newport in June we arrived just ahead of a strong frontal passage.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
+
Atoll, the operator I referred to is a Brixham lad, with a huge amount of deep water commercial command experience. Our recruitment requirements for Harbour Radio will accept little less.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

A big thumbs up for BHR! We also were approaching in a storm, several boats in the anchorage dragged and some washed ashore, while we were still approaching.
Every boat has its perfect wave, and this storm produced waves where due to our point of sail we were being literally thrown off crests into the troughs. Big deal, huh, but Gilana is 66,000 pounds, or 28 metric tons. BHR were so good, we were in contact via SSB and then later on VHF. They knew exactly where we were, as did we, and where the reefs were, as did we, BUT they have a weather overlay on their big data screens, where radar, chart, weather, AIS, and some other "interesting" information is shown. They were able to predict to within minutes, the arrival of rainsqualls, and also wave height and sets. They guided us in with hourly checkins.

I cannot rate them highly enough, they are the pinnacle of professionalism with a friendly caring attitude added in for good measure.
Old 07-04-2013, 16:14   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

A good story which reflects well on all concerned. Thanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: