Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36   #16

Re: A Different BVI Itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
No need to check out of the USVI. Just into the BVI and out as well. You may be able to do all that at the same time though - I'm not sure what the restrictions are on it. I think it depends on how long you'll be there.

As far as diving - I'm not sure technically what is allowed or not, but there's really no one out there enforcing it. If you want to play it safe though, why not just enjoy St. John and enter the BVI Monday morning, or come over end of day Sunday?

Thanks. That's exactly what I am thinking of doing. There are a couple of dive site on the south of St. John that I really like (Booby Rock and Eagle Shoal) and plan to do on the way over on Saturday. Then of course there is Norman and the sites around it and one option was to pop over there and do a couple of dives before checking in. That was the origin of the question. It would not be a tragedy to spend a couple of nights on the US side and diving St. John, as you say!

BTW, I think I read that you have 48 hours to leave the BVIs after you check out.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post

BTW, I think I read that you have 48 hours to leave the BVIs after you check out.

When did this change? We used to check out when we checked in and we usually stayed two weeks.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
When did this change? We used to check out when we checked in and we usually stayed two weeks.
I could have read it wrong and, in any event, it was from an internet forum, so I couldn't vouch for it anyway! I will ask when I'm there and post whatever is current when I return.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

There's two different things you are talking about here...

1) Checking in AND out at the same time. I believe there are limits to this based on how long you'll be staying

2) Checking out and how long you have to stay. Most places seem to be 24 hours, I haven't heard anything specific about the BVI.

I didn't think you could check in and out the same time staying two weeks though - I thought it was closer to a week, but I've never done it other than for a day trip that way as we tend to always start in the BVI.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 18:48   #20

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
There's two different things you are talking about here... 1) Checking in AND out at the same time. I believe there are limits to this based on how long you'll be staying 2) Checking out and how long you have to stay. Most places seem to be 24 hours, I haven't heard anything specific about the BVI. I didn't think you could check in and out the same time staying two weeks though - I thought it was closer to a week, but I've never done it other than for a day trip that way as we tend to always start in the BVI.
1) Charter boats are treated very differently than private vessels. Some officials are more "generous" than others when it comes to private vessels too. I've never heard of a 2 week charter not being allowed to check in and out at the same time.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Usually you have 24 hours after clearing out to leave. The only country in the Caribbean that I know of which allows simultaneous clearing in-and-out for a departure 2 weeks hence is Dominica.
Old 14-11-2013, 18:04   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV

I think you might run into restrictions from the charter company. There is a nice anchorage on the south of Norman, but I'm not sure you're charter company wants you to go there.

Check in advance with the charter company before you plan a funky itinerary.

Cheers
Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote