Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 00:48   #1

Boat: Custom 55
8 days across the Atlantic, some notes

Hello CF,

A few of you on here have expressed an interest in how our transatlantic went, so here goes...

We began this summer's sailing in Florida. We stopped in Charleston for a couple of months waiting for the season to advance a bit. We were on our way offshore to St. John's when our NKE pilot packed it in. We happened to be 180 miles offshore, straight S. of Newport. Happily, the only NKE dealer on the E. coast is in that very town, so we diverted there and got some excellent warranty service from the folks there. They even gave us a spare multigraphic at cost! Very nice of them, and we can't recommend these people of the NKE pilot highly enough.

We then went direct to St. John's NFLD, with just a quick stop in Louisburg, NS for an oil change.

St. John's was a 1 week stop for us, waiting out a big depression. We left on the back side of it, destination either England or Ireland. We didn't really have a specific target in mind.

The passage was really excellent. We had just one 'just barely a gale' blow, and with the exception of a day of motoring in the middle of the passage, we had F4-6 from a good direction the entire time.

The transatlantic was knocked off in 8 days, 19 hours. Our best day's run was over 260 miles, with all but a couple over 200.

Some stats from the Zeus from the trip:

Miles sailed: 3767
Average speed: 8.0
Maximum speed: 21.8 (we had some nice surfing along the way)

Gear failures- besides the pilot, nothing of consequence. Very nice.

I'm happy to provide details to those who would like them.

Good sailing, TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 00:52   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: 8 days across the Atlantic, some notes

Glad you had a good trip. As to time made, I know what the boat is, so as to account for the mileage. But most won't. So you may as well post the info now

PS: What turned out to be causing that rudder(s) issue you were having?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 01:03   #3

Uncivilized,

The rudder issue was never really an issue in the conventional sense. The deal is that the bearings are not roller bearings like Jefa or JP3 make. So, when there's a lot of side loading, there's a lot of friction. It's really that simple. Once we get settled for the winter, I'll talk to one of the manufacturers about making up some roller bearings for the lowers.

It's been sort of a minor gripe about the boat forever, more a quality of life problem than anything. Certainly not anything to stop us from sailing.

I've talked to Mr. Bieker about it, and he shares the same low-grade annoyance. He's sailed the boat some.

svrocketscience.com has some pretty good details on our travels and the boat for those interested.

TJ
Old 13-08-2016, 01:44   #4

I should probably add that we were a crew of 3.

TJ
Old 13-08-2016, 02:41   #5

I'm sorry, where did you start and where did you finish? 3,767miles at eight knots does not equal 8 days.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 02:59   #6

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hello CF,

A few of you on here have expressed an interest in how our transatlantic went, so here goes...

We began this summer's sailing in Florida. We stopped in Charleston for a couple of months waiting for the season to advance a bit. We were on our way offshore to St. John's when our NKE pilot packed it in. We happened to be 180 miles offshore, straight S. of Newport. Happily, the only NKE dealer on the E. coast is in that very town, so we diverted there and got some excellent warranty service from the folks there. They even gave us a spare multigraphic at cost! Very nice of them, and we can't recommend these people of the NKE pilot highly enough.

We then went direct to St. John's NFLD, with just a quick stop in Louisburg, NS for an oil change.

St. John's was a 1 week stop for us, waiting out a big depression. We left on the back side of it, destination either England or Ireland. We didn't really have a specific target in mind.

The passage was really excellent. We had just one 'just barely a gale' blow, and with the exception of a day of motoring in the middle of the passage, we had F4-6 from a good direction the entire time.

The transatlantic was knocked off in 8 days, 19 hours. Our best day's run was over 260 miles, with all but a couple over 200.

Some stats from the Zeus from the trip:

Miles sailed: 3767
Maximum speed: 21.8 (we had some nice surfing along the way)

Gear failures- besides the pilot, nothing of consequence. Very nice.

I'm happy to provide details to those who would like them.

Good sailing, TJ
Hi TJD,

You do mean 18 days don't you 8 days at 200-260 miles a day puts you in the middle of the pond
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 03:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I'm sorry, where did you start and where did you finish? 3,767miles at eight knots does not equal 8 days.
Sorry didn't read your reply till after i posted
Old 13-08-2016, 03:22   #8

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Its about 1700 miles across the NA from NS to Ireland. 8 kn average is pretty awesome going, as is a 260 mile day. It sounds like it was a blast.

Out of curiosity what sort of passage time would you have made in the old roberts if you sailed her reasonably hard? I am guessing 12 or so days with a 5.5 or 6 kn average and a bit more motoring in the light stuff?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-08-2016, 03:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Its about 1700 miles across the NA from NS to Ireland. 8 kn average is pretty awesome going, as is a 260 mile day. It sounds like it was a blast.

Out of curiosity what sort of passage time would you have made in the old roberts if you sailed her reasonably hard? I am guessing 12 or so days with a 5.5 or 6 kn average and a bit more motoring in the light stuff?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Re read his Stat's "he stated 3767 Miles Sailed in 8 days 19 hours", all i'm saying is something dosen't add up.and an average of 8 knots is 19 days 15 hours if the miles are correct
Old 13-08-2016, 04:51   #10
SFS

I read it as two different, unrelated pieces of data. He signposted that the TA part was 8 day and some, which would have been the NS-to-final destination part.

I took the rest of it:

"Miles sailed: 3767
Maximum speed: 21.8 (we had some nice surfing along the way)"

as "overall" data for the whole journey - FL, Charleston, Newport, Louisburg, St. Johns, then across.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 05:48   #11

Hello, I understand why my post might have been confusing.

The 8 days figure was indeed just the St. John's to Ireland. I posted the data for the whole trip from FL just because that's all that the B&G kept track of. I guess I forgot to start a new trip when we left NFLD.

I hope that clears it up.

Our average speed on the Atlantic crossing was more in the 9+ range. Due to weather and ice routing, our distance sailed was more like 1800-1850.

As far as the passage time on our previous boat, the Roberts, you're probably about correct, Snowpetrel. Somewhere just longer than half again more, all things being equal. We would have had a lot less fun, however!
Old 13-08-2016, 09:15   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Hello, I understand why my post might have been confusing.

The 8 days figure was indeed just the St. John's to Ireland. I posted the data for the whole trip from FL just because that's all that the B&G kept track of. I guess I forgot to start a new trip when we left NFLD.

I hope that clears it up.

Our average speed on the Atlantic crossing was more in the 9+ range. Due to weather and ice routing, our distance sailed was more like 1800-1850.

As far as the passage time on our previous boat, the Roberts, you're probably about correct, Snowpetrel. Somewhere just longer than half again more, all things being equal. We would have had a lot less fun, however!
Thanks for the post. We are debating jumping from Halifax to Ireland or St. John's to Ireland, favouring the southerly route due to ice and a probable circa June 1 leave date, so this is good information, even if we'll be half the speed!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:12   #13

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Will you please tell us the season again? When did you start from St Jones ? Sorry I am missing this part
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 13:53   #14

Manos, we left on August 4th, arrived in Ireland yesterday, the 12th.

TJ
Old 13-08-2016, 13:57   #15

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Manos, we left on August 4th, arrived in Ireland yesterday, the 12th.

TJ
Thank you so very much
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote