Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 11:36   #1

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
6 foot draft in Bahamas and AICW

We are contemplating buying a boat that draws a full 6' and I wondered I'd that would be an issue in the Bahamas? I am hoping it would only mean that we would have to anchor a bit farther out, not that we were excluded entirely from good anchorages. On the plus side she is big enough to carry a decent tender....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 12:48   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: 6 foot draft in Bahamas and AICW

gee does no one use the search feature, yes 6' will be fine and yes you will anchor out further
Old 23-01-2018, 15:40   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Woodland, this subject has been discussed to death so many times here on CF... please do as SB1 has suggested and use the Google custom search function and see the literally dozens of suggestions associated with this subject. There is really nothing new to post on the subject, and folks get tired of repeating themselves.

Jim
Old 26-01-2018, 06:11   #4

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Hey, if you don't want to search the forums for it I don't care. I don't mind responding to your question. You'll be fine virtually everywhere in the Bahamas with a 6' draft. It will require more planning on your part in some instances, but you'll be able to go pretty much wherever you want to go. It's a lot easier if you have a good dinghy and outboard, as you will not be able to anchor in as close as most others, and you may have to coordinate your docking for fuel, etc. with high tide in some places.
As for the ICW, I wouldn't be really excited about having a 6' draft anywhere in Georgia, and in parts of SC, FL and NC. Best bet is to do that offshore if you can.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:03   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
As for the ICW, I wouldn't be really excited about having a 6' draft anywhere in Georgia, and in parts of SC, FL and NC. Best bet is to do that offshore if you can.
No different the Bahamas, it's just about planning. In fact the high tides can make it easier than in the Bahamas. In fact near as I can tell in talking with other cruisers it the shallow draft boats that appear to go around and need a tow because they think they push the depth.
Old 26-01-2018, 08:35   #6

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

It's very different from the Bahamas in that the bottom is visible NOWHERE on the ICW, yet virtually everywhere in the Bahamas. It's exponentially easier in the Bahamas to visually gauge water depth, and you are also very rarely confined to a narrow channel.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:36   #7

I had a great time in the Bahamas with 6-5 draft. SOme minor issues but still fun. The ICW was worse, but still doable. You dont say where you are but if traveling the ICW alot buy towing insurance, and get the Gold coverage or better.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, draft, icw