Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 08:12   #1

6 day itinerary in BVI with kids mooring to mooring

Looking for suggestions on a 6-day itinerary in BVI - have 2 kids (14 and 18) but we want mooring balls, beautiful beaches and as much quiet privacy (i,e not wild party evening party scene) as possible. Any recommendations?
askdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 08:39   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: 6 day itinerary in BVI with kids mooring to mooring

Peter I, Cooper I, the Baths(day stop), Gorda sound, Little Jost. Those are the places I have been that roughly fit your needs. To get real privacy and quiet usually requires anchoring and less protected anchorages(generally speaking). Stay away from Norman I except for a day stop to snorkel the caves. Great Harbor on Jost Van Dyke has a quieter(east) side and a spring break (west) side.

I am sure those that have more experience than I will chime in. Our charter is starting on Friday.

You charter briefing will also help you decide. Do not try to plan too much in advance. There are lots of great places to go and enjoy. Slow down and take your time.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 08:46   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

take a mooring ball at the edge of the field...furthest from the bar.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 08:55   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

also make it more about the locations...less of them for longer times so they kids dont get bored with sailing....if they like sailing, take a nap and let them helm the boat:-)

Definately baths, you can anchor in in that town spanishtown i think it is, but i forget. I anchored there for a night. quiet. At the baths, there is a path that goes to the top with a resturarant and pool! Great hike and warm pool with good food.
Old 13-03-2013, 09:46   #5

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

I'm assuming that, as teenagers, they'll want to be active. Snorkeling spots that my daughter really loved at that age -- the Indians, Sandy Spit off the east end of Little Jost, and Loblolly Bay on Anegada. (Anegada is a great trip if your kids like to sail. Not so much if they don't.) There used to be a handful of moorings just inside the North point into the Bight on Norman Island. If you can get one of them, it's pretty quiet with decent snorkeling right along the shore and an easy dinghy ride to the Caves on the south side. If they need more of a workout, the hike up the road to the top of Jost van Dyke from Little Harbor gives great views and should sap the energy from most adolescents. Take water.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 11:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
There used to be a handful of moorings just inside the North point into the Bight on Norman Island.
That's Kelly's Cove. The little hook, up around the corner from the main mooring field in The Bight. Yep, there are still mooring balls there. We stayed on one just this past November.

We got in a little late, so we took a mooring there and then motored over to the caves the next morning, before heading up to Cooper Island. Call us fuddy-duddys, but we knew that we didn't want to be moored anywhere that we would hear the partying on the Willie-T. Kelly's Cove was perfect.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 11:37   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

When are you planning on going? That impacts the crowds a lot.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 04:14   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I just responded to the other identically titled thread, which had no responses yet.
Old 27-03-2013, 06:31   #9

This is also partly in the USVI, but designed for kids

BVI/USVI Sailing Itinerary for Children Redux | Sailing With Kids
Old 27-03-2013, 07:34   #10

Boat: Catalina 310

As said above, time of year does make a dig difference. We went in November and most spots were dead. The Willy T, Foxy's and Soggy Dollar were the only places that were truly "party" areas. Here are my suggestions:
  1. The Baths - the number one must see IHMO. If the moorings in front are taken or it's too rough, get a slip in Spanishtown and take a taxi.
  2. The Wreck of the Rhone - very cool for snorkeling, better for diving.
  3. The Indians & The Caves on Norman's Island- very good snorkeling at both. I wouldn't be afraid to stay in the Bight, just get a spot as far from the Willy T as possible. We were directly next to it, but we also closed the place down. So it didn't bother us, but that is a larger harbor and you can get away from it.
  4. Cooper's Island - I don't know from personal experience, but my aunt and uncle like this and Peter's Island for a quitter get away.
  5. North Sound - the Bitter End is worth the trip. Really nice restaurant and the sound is big enough to get away from the real party areas.
  6. Marina Cay - Again, nice restaurant that I don't think gets too wild at night.
  7. The Dogs - day anchorage but cool, more private spot.
  8. Monkey Point - cool day anchorage for a lunch stop and snorkeling.
  9. Little Jost and the Bubbling Pool - Don't go near most of Jost if you want to stay away from the party scene. I loved Jost but we wanted that crowd.
I hope you have good weather and fun.

Jesse
JK n Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 05:18   #11

Be careful taking kids to the Bubbly Pool on Jost. A man was killed there just a few weeks ago when a wave washed him off the rocks at the entrance. It is worth a visit, and a fun place to be, but you really do have to be careful about the power of the current and the waves as they come in and go back out from there.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Be careful taking kids to the Bubbly Pool on Jost. A man was killed there just a few weeks ago when a wave washed him off the rocks at the entrance. It is worth a visit, and a fun place to be, but you really do have to be careful about the power of the current and the waves as they come in and go back out from there.
We were 3 days into a 10-day charter down there when they announced that.

My understanding is that there was a SIGNFICANT amount of alcohol involved, and that the person that was "swept out" actually survived, but one of his two friends that went out to help didn't

Doesn't mean not to be careful.

You will have a blast! Both my daughter (14) and wife were seasick some of the time. Half of a Dramamine appeared to do the trick, but had them kinda dopey.

Smaller monohulls can REALLY rock if you are new to the area and don't know exactly where the most protected moorings/anchorages are

Phil
kaiserlp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31   #13

I don't know the details of what happened, but you are correct, it was a person that tried to help rescue the man who fell in that got killed.

You just have to use common sense and respect the ocean. Unfortunately many people don't. You should never go over the rocks - remain on the pool side. I believe that is what the guy who got swept in did. Also watch it for a bit before going in to see how far they come in and expect they can change. It can be great fun, but it can be very dangerous in certain conditions.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:40   #14

The dead birds are of more interest to kids!
Diamond Cay, Jost Van Dyke, BVI | Sailing With Kids
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45   #15

Sounds like the best part was missed - snorkeling in Diamond Cay. There are a ton of turtles!

Tags
kids, mooring