Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:32   #1

4 or 5 year plan

I am now about 2 years from retirement and planning the next phase. Basically my hope is to make a 4 year circuit of the Caribbean in about 3-4 month stages. I have chartered a lot and know that one thing I dislike is motorsailing into the prevailing wind. I live in the West but will probably buy my boat on the East Coast. So, given those facts here is what I have been thinking. Any comments would be appreciated.
Year 1. East coast to perhaps Grenadines via Rt. 65. Then perhaps to Trinidad or ABC's for storage?
Year 2. Make our way up the Windwards and Leewards. Storage somewhere like St. Martin, Luperon, etc.
Year 3. Continue generally NW thru Bahamas. Not sure where we would store that year. Perhaps southern FL and hope the hurricaine season is not too bad.
Year 4. Southern Fl to Rio Dulce or thereabouts. Maybe thru the Canal and store on Pacific side.
Year 5. Up to Mexico or if the wife and I are still on speaking terms maybe the coconut run.
By then I would be 68 and who knows!
wallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 13:13   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
We are on the leading edge of a similar plan. We also live in the west and have a boat in Maine.

Next spring we retire and start cruising more than part time but less than full time.

We are considering giving the Eastern Caribbean a pass and concentrating on the Western Caribbean and then through the canal. The same discussion is planned on which way to go at that point.
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote