Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 10:22   #1

4 o4 5 days sailing in southern Belize?

Hello again!
I wrote a few weeks ago about our trip to Belize and safety concerns. People were very helpful and have calmed my nerves.

We currently have 4 days on the boat and 5 days in the San Ignacio area at a jungle lodge. We are now wondering if we should take one more day on the boat and one day away from the jungle.

My question is this - is 4 days really too short to sail around and visit the little cayes off of Placencia? Including South Water, Pelican, Hatchett, Laughing Bird etc. And would 5 days be enough to add in Glover's Reef? I know we need to have a skipper aboard and would plan to pick one up on one of the cayes close to the reef.

Thanks,
Jeanine
JeanineMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 11:02   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: 4 o4 5 days sailing in southern Belize?

I would. You really don't have enough time to do the area justice. I would focus on visiting the cayes.
Old 22-02-2016, 20:14   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

4 days is a pretty short trip, esp considering charter start and return.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:42   #4

Thank you both for your responses. I really wish we had a whole week to sail. But, we'd also like to explore inland - jungle and ruins - too. And, most importantly, make this a wonderful trip for the whole family.
Is there anyone who has done a 10 day trip to Belize and sailed for part and spent time on land for part?

The two adventures we'd like to do - but don't think we can do both are Glover's Reef and Tikal. If we extend the sailing to 5 nights, would we have time to visit Glover's and not be rushed? I keep going back and forth with this one - the reef looks amazing. But, we don't want to be rushing around and want to have time to explore the cayes inside the Barrier Reef as well.

Also - I should probably ask Moorings this question - but can we sail at night if we have a skipper on board that is Moorings-approved?

And, is visiting Tikal on a day trip from San Ignacio too rushed? I am wondering if my kids (13 and 15) would be a happier visiting the ATM caves and another closer ruin near the waterfalls - and have time to explore the jungle area around the lodge.
JeanineMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:15   #5

Edit: oops, ground hog day schedule, you got to do day 3 twice, fixed.

With only 5 days aboard you are going to have to make some compromises, but Glovers is very doable.

First day, you will almost certainly be later than planned getting underway so anchor nearby in Placencia or Lark Caye Range. If anchor in Placencia, and want to interact with cruisers/locals, then Yolis is a good happy hour choice. If at Lark, you should have enough day light left to get in some snorkeling/kayaking.

Second day early AM (earlier the better): make for Tobacco Caye, anchor off and enjoy Tobacco for the afternoon/evening. May favorite area to anchor is in the sand flats just N of Tobacco and behind the reef, swimming pool calm in normal weather, about 6' feet (or less) of crystal clear water over snow white sand, excellent holding, breakers crashing on the barrier reef just in front of you. Beautiful.

Day 3 early AM, make the short (about 14nm) run out to Glovers. The usual prefered anchorage just inside the southern entrance suxs. Go up further north onto the sand flats and anchor there (Im assuming a catamaran). Your local captain should know this. Glovers is not a good place to be in bad weather, so check weather before departure. If a front is forecast, don't go.

Day 4: Enjoy Glovers and the sail back to Southwater. Good snorkeling inside the lagoon an easy dink ride or paddle way. Excellent diving outside the lagoon and nearby MariSol has a full service dive shop. MariSol resort has a bar over the water and is welcoming to cruisers. You can have dinner there too with advance. Its a short sail back, so you can still have some time to enjoy Southwater. Park rangers will likely collect a park fee from you here.

Day 5: Easy downwind day sail back to Placencia. With a local captain aboard you can take the inside route (prohibitted by Moorings otherwise). I assume you have a noon finish so start early.

Tilkal is amazing and popular, but a time consuming side trip. Flying into Flores is the quickest option. Personally, I would focus on Belize and save Guatemala for another trip. There are a number of interesting Mayan sites to visit in Belize. Guatemala is the most amazing country in Central America and is well worth a much longer visit (been my home base for a decade and there is still more to see and do! ).

Trip Advisor is a better site for land travel info.
Old 24-02-2016, 08:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanineMR View Post

Is there anyone who has done a 10 day trip to Belize and sailed for part and spent time on land for part?

Also - I should probably ask Moorings this question - but can we sail at night if we have a skipper on board that is Moorings-approved?

Yes, very popular option, there is even a name for it: "Surf & Turf". I can refer you to very knowledgeable travel agents who can help if you want. Just let me know.

No, night sailing is prohibited even with a local captain aboard. Though they will be more lenient on there usual "anchored by 4PM" rule.

Tags
Belize, sail, sailing