Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2015, 07:01   #16

Boat: Shapeshifter
Re: 1st time in the Caribbean

Hi all I am now in Turkey and starting to put our yacht Shapeshifter back together
after she have been up on the hard for 9 months.
I can't thank you all enough of the heads up.
Looks like we will be heading for Jolly Harbour after reading the posts and looking on the internet. I was also thinking that we will put Shapeshifter up on the hard for the hurricane season in Trinidad Tobago I am totally open to anywhere but I guess I will need to book some place soon, Don't want leave it to late and get stressed out trying to find some were at the last moment.
kiwinz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 07:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwinz1 View Post
Hi all I am now in Turkey and starting to put our yacht Shapeshifter back together
after she have been up on the hard for 9 months.
I can't thank you all enough of the heads up.
Looks like we will be heading for Jolly Harbour after reading the posts and looking on the internet. I was also thinking that we will put Shapeshifter up on the hard for the hurricane season in Trinidad Tobago I am totally open to anywhere but I guess I will need to book some place soon, Don't want leave it to late and get stressed out trying to find some were at the last moment.
We made the sail from Turkey to the Caribbean this last year, lots of sailing!! Your choices seem to be fine.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:35   #18

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Another useful bit of information would be to know if there is a pilot book that you could recommend.
Heres' what you need:
The Sailors Guide to the Windward Islands: Chris Doyle, Virginia Barlow: 9780944428993: Amazon.com: Books
The Cruising Guide to the Leeward Islands 2014-2015 edition: Chris Doyle, Nancy Scott, Ashley Scott, Carol Dioca-Bevis: 9780944428979: Amazon.com: Books

Both very good and helpful books. We used them between Grenada and Antigua and they have great and helpful information.

Anchorages covered here:
http://www.amazon.com/Leeward-Anchor..._bxgy_14_img_z
Windward Anchorages: Chris Doyle, Nancy Scott, Ashley Scott, Carol Dioca-Bevis: 9780944428832: Amazon.com: Books

But you could get by with the first two books.

Good luck!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 10:28   #19

Hi do you think we can get the books over there as we are on the move now so hard the get any thing posted
Old 19-06-2015, 11:18   #20
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes, very good chandler supplies in le Marin. They have the Doyle guides there.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 07:13   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
...I was also thinking that we will put Shapeshifter up on the hard for the hurricane season in Trinidad Tobago I am totally open to anywhere but I guess I will need to book some place soon, Don't want leave it to late and get stressed out trying to find some were at the last moment.
If you don't want to endure the hassles of Trinidad, consider storing your boat on the hard at Jolly Harbour for the summer. They'll strap the boat down to yard anchors in a paved yard. There was no hurricane the year we stored ours there, but it survived a tropical storm passing directly overhead with no issues.
Old 20-06-2015, 07:40   #22

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
If you don't want to endure the hassles of Trinidad, consider storing your boat on the hard at Jolly Harbour for the summer. They'll strap the boat down to yard anchors in a paved yard. There was no hurricane the year we stored ours there, but it survived a tropical storm passing directly overhead with no issues.
I second this. The staff are very good and I kept my boat there for 4 summer seasons with no issues. Speak directly to Festus Isaacs, who is an excellent manager of the marina and has his own boat there. He is a very considerate and pleasant man. I would recommend enquiring fairly early about a cradle, if you can get one. They have excellent state of the art cradles for vessels up to 65 feet. If you don't wish to spend the extra for that, they will put you on concrete hardstand with welded stands and tiedowns. Tiedowns also for cradled boats.

http://www.jolly-harbour-marina.com/...tact/index.php

In the staff photo Festus is foreground, at left.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 07:00   #23

Hi
Ok i will email our insurance company and ask about jolly harbour and also will email Festus.

On a side note i am just installing a ssb **** what a job its 36c outside and I have just come from 10c in New Zealand not nice
You guys are on the internet how are you doing it? round the med we have been buying wifi hot spot things, One Greece One Turkey and so on is it the same there or can you just buy the cards
Old 21-06-2015, 07:11   #24
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We buy digicel phone cards. You just need two to cover all the islands, one for French Islands, one for the rest. Currently on a 10GB for $70/month plan. Other plans are about $10/GB. Theres also a few wifi hotspots around.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 07:20   #25

Hi thats sound good thanks
I see you have a Lagoon 400 our friends just sail one across from the med i don't think it was a good trip as they sold it not long after they got there any way thanks

Tags
Caribbean, rib