Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 17:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473 47'
1st sail from Port Credit Ontario through Erie Canal to West Virginia

Would love suggestions for a leisurely sail, planning on approx. 7 days? Leaving Sept 18/19, mast coming down in Port Credit, motoring across to canal, mast going up Albany, and onwards to West Virginia. Any suggestions on timelines, good locks for overnight/picking up supplies, and once mast is up, suggestions on interesting/convenient docking for overnights/rests we have a 7' draft.
And …..anything you want to add for info would be awesome!?New member
azuramisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 02:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: 1st sail from Port Credit Ontario through Erie Canal to West Virginia

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, azuremisty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 04:10   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Not sure how you'll get to West Virginia?
Old 22-08-2019, 05:23   #4

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Not sure how you'll get to West Virginia?
I lived in Western Pennsylvania for 30 years, from Lake Erie to West Virginia... South on I79
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:25   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuramisty View Post
Would love suggestions for a leisurely sail, planning on approx. 7 days? Leaving Sept 18/19, mast coming down in Port Credit, motoring across to canal, mast going up Albany, and onwards to West Virginia. Any suggestions on timelines, good locks for overnight/picking up supplies, and once mast is up, suggestions on interesting/convenient docking for overnights/rests we have a 7' draft.
Why take the mast down in Port Credit? Oswego has perfectly good facilties for mast lowering (and they do it all the time) Not sure why people want to cross Lake Ontario with their masts down, that's a long stretch of open water with risk associated. Remember the boat is going to ride MUCH different with the mast strapped to the deck. There is a lumber store right around the corner from the marina so making your cradle is no big deal.

We crossed from Whitby to Rochester (really nice clean marina) and then cruised the Lake Ontario south shore to Oswego. Once the mast was down in Oswego we did just enough locks to get to the Minetto free dock (decent gas station pizza there!) and then relaxed for the rest of the day. Its a lot of work getting the mast down, secured and though locks in one day! Lake Onieda is not as big a deal as many make it out to be. We had glass flat conditions both ways. Stayed overnight at Brewerton Boat Yard (really great people there!) and sylvan beach on the free dock. Nice place too. Most people rush through ( you can do the whole system in less than 4 days) But I think they miss a lot this way. It's a beautiful waterway and really deserves more time than people give it. Leave a bit earlier and enjoy it, don't rush it.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:26   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
The Erie canal meanders thru some very pretty country and farmlands. Take your time if you have it.

Some pointers:
- 7 days will get you to NYC if you really mean leisurely.
- Sail to Oswego and unstep the mast there, plan on 1 full day for the sail.
- After Oswego, there are lots of places to stop as you can only travel during daylight, so plan your stops accordingly - depending your speed and wants.
- Make sure your mast is very secure on deck, get the braces from northbound cruisers. You are crossing Lake Oneida which is full of motorboats and their wake trying to send your mast to the bottom.
- Step the mast at Castleton, DYI with the help of other cruisers.
- After Albany you need to play the tides, get Eldridge and follow the cycles.
- Plan in advance where you want to stay/berth around NYC, if you want to do New York as 7' draft will not get at some of the marinas, and they are few.

For points south, I have gone to Bermuda from NYC, so I'll leave it to others with the experience.

Have fun and good luck.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 05:28   #7

Boat: islandpacket

Check out the AGLCA, the American Great loop crusers Association, for info.
It took me 10 days to do the Erie canal, just stoping at night. Dont do it at night Imho. Have a good trip.
Old 22-08-2019, 08:32   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

If your mast will overhang your boat by a lot be sure to protect the ends.

Did the Erie a long time ago. My mast overhangs the boat by ten feet both fore and aft. Going through the locks can be challenging with the long overhangs.

There are people there that will sell you straw filled woven bags for fenders. Buy a lot of them. Sell them to boats going the other direction at the other end. (that may have been the Welland Canal).

When I went through (1992) some of the lockmasters were opening the gates too fast and the currents were strong. Be sure to have a good grip on the lines.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 08:56   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall35

Quote:
Hi
I JUST completed the trip your about to make, albeit from farther up the lakes.coming in from Oswego,brewwerton has a good dock as does sylvan beach , canajoharie, amsterdam and waterford.Fuel is available throughout and you can tie uo at most locks overnight.We stayed at lock 20 after we crossed the lake. 7 foot draft will be an issue, so watch your depth sounder. There's a shallow spot going into lock 14. Stay in the channels and you should be fine.After the canal, Castleton boat club is the first p.ace to step your mast. Great people, just watch for wakes in the river as your working. Lots ov barge traffic.There are lots of anchorage in the Hudson, our anchorage to virginia where we hauled out were, pollepel island(Hudson river), 79 street(nyc) sandy hook, cape may, chesapeake city (should have stayed at deleware city. Rock hall harbour, annapolis, Solomon's island and Reedville
Cheers
sail34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:16   #10

I'm not sure why you want to go to West Virginia, no sailing there for a 7' draft, 40 foot sailboat.
sailor2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:30   #11

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor2469 View Post
I'm not sure why you want to go to West Virginia, no sailing there for a 7' draft, 40 foot sailboat.
The only way you could get near West Virginia by boat would be on the Ohio River which is a long way from the Erie Canal.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 13:47   #12

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
The only way you could get near West Virginia by boat would be on the Ohio River which is a long way from the Erie Canal.
I guess you missed his post where he referenced I-79 from Lake Erie to West Virginia. I assume he meant by truck. Little hard to sail on an interstate highway.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 22-08-2019, 14:06   #13

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I guess you missed his post where he referenced I-79 from Lake Erie to West Virginia. I assume he meant by truck. Little hard to sail on an interstate highway.

Al, S/V Finlandia
No, I didn’t miss that. I am thinking the OP is just a little geographically challenged. I am wondering on what body of water you would sail on no matter what way you got to West Virginia with that size boat. And it wasn’t him who made the reference to I-79.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 02:54   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sail34. Belated welcome to sailor2469.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:10   #15

Boat: Catalina MK1 36

The next time I do the Erie Canal I will watch for the turn that takes me to West Virginia
anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, ontario, sail