Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2012, 02:07   #16

Re: Wintering in the Mediterranean

We spent last winter in Barcelona after coming through the French canals.

Our only regret is, that we believed pilot books and advices on internet, that winter is not good time to sail in Med. We should have just passed those advices and continue further into Med.

Yes, it can be a bit colder and yes, there can be nasty storms. However, if you are comfortable of sailing in a bit colder weather and do coastal hopping, there is no need to stay in one place during winter.

Next time where ever we will be, we will make our own judgement while being where ever we will be.

The same advice I would give for Med too, for whoever is thinking whether or not to sail during winter time there.

If you do coastal hopping, you can avoid heavy winds if you keep an eye to the forecasts.
Kimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 03:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
We spent last winter in Barcelona after coming through the French canals.
Interesting - were there any (mast) height restrictions on the route you took?
dominiccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 04:26   #18

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We have recently completed our first full year in the far eastern Med. We had cruised near the equator since 2006, so obviously were not acclimated to cold weather. For this reason, we chose to winter as far south in the Med as possible -- in Cyprus. Winter has been one storm after another, interspersed by a few beautiful sunny days before the next storm would blow through. It has been far colder than we had ever imagined it might be. Locals tell us this has been the worst winter in Cyprus in 30 years. There is no way we would consider sailing during the winter in this part of the world.

We would not spend the winter at anchor because the seas are too rough and winds too high (several times over 50 kts). But the main reason we insist on a marina for winter here is for shore power to operate the heating. If you have diesel heating or wood-burning stove heating, then a marina might not be a necessity providing you can find an area that is well-protected -- from all directions because those strong winter winds can come from any point of the compass and the seas build rapidly.

If you are from a northern climate then your opinion of the Med might be very different from mine.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 07:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiccc View Post
Interesting - were there any (mast) height restrictions on the route you took?
Yes of course the mast needed to be unstepped and stepped back in both ends (Dunkerque and Port St.Louis).

After that you still need to take care that the boat height wont exceed 3,5 meters (if I remember correctly) to get under certain bridges.
Kimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 11:34   #20

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

A bit strange to talk about "winter".. we have colder weather here in "summer"
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 11:57   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominiccc View Post
The Red Sea - now there's a thought Randal. The rally website for those who are interested: Vasco da Gama Yacht Rally - 2012/2013 .

Another thought - what about the Canary Islands? I know the temperatures are ok as the Canaries are advertised in the UK as a 'winter sun' location - no idea if they make sailing sense at this time of year though.
Canaries are close to a perfect climate. Less than a week from Gib, not that far really. Not many achorages though, but you can sail pretty much all winter. Sometime you might get hammered if a low gets too far south but not very common. Might be a bit uphill if you want to go back to the med, but Azores and Madiera would get a better angle on the wind and are well worth a visit.
For less than a week at sea you can run away from winter
I was well over a year late leaving . So a bit swayed in my opinion of the islands
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 17:58   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
For a combination of culture, temperature and reasonable-ness you can't beat the Portuguese algarve, Lagos would be one of my favourites. Gib is way too claustrophobic and the airport is on top of you. With Lagos you can drive to cultural spots Lisbon etc . Good airport ( faro) near by.

The canaries is nice if you're happy with the distances, it's a long way from the eastern med. good marinas, virtually no anchorages, you can sail all year round, though it's gets breezy and the distance between the islands means its more then just day sailing. Las palmas is nice , Santa crux I didn't prefer and places like gomera are pleasant if limiting. Though I understand in the last year or two , the costs in the marinas are deterring long term liveaboards as its the matric tax.

The other one might be the Madeiras., I've been there for visits Never long term. I also hear Beirut marina in Lebanon is becoming popular again , is that true ?

Dave
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40   #23

Boat: Sadler Starlight 39 - Kathleen Love

We spent the last winter in Cartagena and enjoyed it. The town is pleasant, almost totally free of expats, very good fresh market and supermarkets (Mercadonna, Lidl, Carrefour) all within 15 min walk. Good connections to airports. The marina staff speak good english, very helpful and there were about 25 or so other boats so good social life. Cartagena misses most of the winter storms coming down from France and equally those coming through the Gib Straits. It was a particularly good winter this last year and although some parts of the marina get some chop, the berths behind the long wall are quiet. We paid 360 euros a month for 11.8m boat, which includes electricity and water and wifi.
Gillian Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45   #24

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

[QUOTE=Gillian Mulcahy;949735]We spent the last winter in Cart
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38   #25

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian Mulcahy View Post
We spent the last winter in Cartagena and enjoyed it. The town is pleasant, almost totally free of expats, very good fresh market and supermarkets (Mercadonna, Lidl, Carrefour) all within 15 min walk. Good connections to airports. The marina staff speak good english, very helpful and there were about 25 or so other boats so good social life. Cartagena misses most of the winter storms coming down from France and equally those coming through the Gib Straits. It was a particularly good winter this last year and although some parts of the marina get some chop, the berths behind the long wall are quiet. We paid 360 euros a month for 11.8m boat, which includes electricity and water and wifi.
I support Gillian's view - great place to winter in a marina, cats pay the same as monohulls! Gillian, where are you now?

Myself, after Cartagena I am looking at overwintering in the most southerly place in the Med I can think of which will be the marina on the island of Djerba in Tunisia. Can anybody comment on that marina?
Old 13-05-2012, 06:23   #26

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

I tried to post a reply but the link broke, so here we go again. €360.00 a month seems a tad expensive to me. We are paying €1400.00 FOR a COMPLETE YEAR !!

Mind you Cartagena is a lovely place not like Almerimar which is a theives paradise and a cocrete jungle.

Nuff said

Fair winds

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 09:50   #27

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

€1400 for a 36ft Cat' for a YEAR???!!!!

I'll see you soon then!
Old 06-06-2012, 15:27   #28

Boat: Morgan 462

Barcelona was reasonably priced. We paid 440 Euros/month at Port Masnou in the village of El Masnou, about 8 miles north of Barcelona. Very well protected and the regional train runs by the marina for easy trips into Barcelona or anyplace else in Spain. Groceries and jug wine close by.
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:16   #29

Boat: Morgan 462

The best source of cruising guides and charts is someone headed the other way. Be sure to have them thou, even if old. I ray has downloadable updates for theirs. Lots of anchorages and good advice. It will make your cruising so much more enjoyable. Southern Spain is a good place to get acclimated. It's warm and there are some. Dry reasonably priced marinas at Almerimar (near Almeria) and Cartagena. Our boat was in Barcelona last winter. It is cold but there is a lot to do and a space heater and electrics blanket will keep you cosy.
terra57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15   #30

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

+1 on Cartagena, I visited there a few days ago and there is NO extra charge for multihulls. The port staff are friendly (in fact one is British so no language barrier) and the town is very nice too.

Tags
mediterranean