Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-09-2013, 13:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Wintering in South Coast of Spain

Originally Posted by urisvan View Post
Hello B

you say very dirty... It means, even i am not in salt water, at the end of winter, there will be barnacles on the hull so i will not be able to move?

and does the tide makes any danger?

thank you
Issue number one is the amount of silt the river carries. I bet this makes your fresh water pump very clean inside, but it is a good idea to wash your exchanger after the season, especially if yours is horizontal.

Issue number two is the fact that Sevilla is upstream and dumps its load into Guadalquivir. Spain has very poor sewage treatment facilities and very relaxed policies.

I think barnacles will not be an issue - hard to imagine anything can live in this water.

If you can live with such things, then Sevilla is a beautiful and vibrant town with plenty of history, things to see and places to visit. Very highly recommended, if you like this sort of ambient.

Gelves has a marina (very silted at times) and a hardstand (dirt). We stayed on the hard as this makes life so much easier and we did not have to haul out in the spring for our painting.

Tides have quite some range and the river flows both ways with four swings a day. If anchored, you need to think about adequate anchoring set-up. At some times of the day, the current may run hard enough to make shore trips a kind of an adventure. But there were cruising boats anchored off there all thru the winter.

There is an overhead cable just before Gelves, an issue if you have a big boat. It is marked on the chart and its height is correctly marked.

A budget place with its budget limitations still not the worst place if one likes sleepy villages and oranges.

Those who wintered in Benalmadena, Almerimar and such likes all spoke highly of the places. If you want to be close to the sea, they are the better bets. If you want city life time, Sevilla is as good as one can get.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 13:57   #17
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way I wouldn't rate Sotogrande much. Its a constructed marina village in the midd,e of kinda nothing

Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! -
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Spain, spain

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: