Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2015, 10:53   #31

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Wintering in northern Europe

While I hesitate to take issue with Dockhead, I have done quite a lot of climate analysis of places all over Europe including west France compared to my baseline of Southampton. While not exactly balmy, there is a noticeable difference between UK south coast and west France. You may find the attached spreadsheet interesting. It does all depend on what the OP reckons a sufficiently mild climate is.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Climate stats.xls (35.0 KB, 82 views)
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 01:11   #32

Boat: Victoire 1122

Nothern Europe I would say Bodo in Norway, along the Gulfstream mild winter.
But... a bit more south the city centre of Amsterdam is the "Sixhaven" just behind the central station. Free ferry (5 minutes crossing / available day and night) to cross to the centre. The harbour is well equiped and closed for non boating crew. See: Sixhaven - Jachthaven Amsterdam I like also Stockholm and Kopenhagen, so many places to be in these towns.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 05:29   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
While I hesitate to take issue with Dockhead, I have done quite a lot of climate analysis of places all over Europe including west France compared to my baseline of Southampton. While not exactly balmy, there is a noticeable difference between UK south coast and west France. You may find the attached spreadsheet interesting. It does all depend on what the OP reckons a sufficiently mild climate is.
Facts are facts, so you're not taking issue with me

Your stats, contrary to mine, show Southampton as being warmer than La Rochelle in January . And the two middle Atlantic ports you show, Vannes, and La Rochelle, have very similar climates to Southampton, and even Split, Croatia, in the winter, is pretty similar. Obviously it's going to be much warmer in winter in the Canary Islands or Cofu, or in Faro, Portugal, which is near the southernmost point of Europe.

Wintering in the South is nice, of course. I would do it myself if I had time for all those miles to get there. But the OP was asking about Northern Europe.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 05:50   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Wintering in the South is nice, of course. I would do it myself if I had time for all those miles to get there. But the OP was asking about Northern Europe.
3 days across Biscay, 10 days later you're tied up in Vilamoura, Portugal.

Flights back to work from La Coruna, Porto, Lisbon. Fao airport is 35 minutes from Vilamoura.

When would you like your boat moved sir? You could probably convince Boatie to sail back to Figueroa do Foz for free.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 06:45   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

I think both Stockholm and Helsinki are nice. Shore power, facilities, broadband, airports, culture, history, food and other attractions. You can ski in city parks and spend a fantastic white christmas winter.

You want excellent insulation and decent heating in your boat, consider getting the boat lifted, if your hull is delicate.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 06:51   #36

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Nothern Europe I would say Bodo in Norway, along the Gulfstream mild winter.
Second that. If fresh and free winds of the north are a strong requirement, then the Norwegian coastline could be ideal. I don't however know anything about the availability of nice marinas there.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:02   #37

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

I live in France not far from Vannes (morbihan gulf),
we have a good climate and we can navigate almost all year,
the navigation area is wonderful, with many islands and rivers where sail.
airport (and fast train) to Paris and other towns of europe ...
what else ?
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 07:02   #38

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think both Stockholm and Helsinki are nice. Shore power, facilities, broadband, airports, culture, history, food and other attractions. You can ski in city parks and spend a fantastic white christmas winter.

You want excellent insulation and decent heating in your boat, consider getting the boat lifted, if your hull is delicate.

b.
It is also possible to stay in a frozen marina if you are prepared to monitor the ice continuously and use ice saw when needed. Keeping the water in motion with a pump can also be sufficient to avoid the boat getting crushed.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:07   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

A friend of ours uses a bubble pump.

And I think Norway is not all that much a marina territory as there are fishing and commercial harbours everywhere and few cruising boats so very little need for marinas. I would bet Oslo may have them, maybe Bergen (?) maybe Tromso (??) too. I would go to Tromso but remember Norway is more like plenty on nature but not all that exciting otherwise. Basically you must amuse yourself or else accept some amount of boredom in the dark.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 23:23   #40

Boat: Victoire 1122

On the west coast of Norway the harbours are nearly icefree because of the Gulfstream. On Askoy (near Bergen) for instance yachts are in the harbour during the winter.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 00:48   #41

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for liveaboard wintering of a trawler in northern Europe. My preference would be towards the mildest climate, best shoreside amenities and least costly. Dockside with good shore power is a must.
If you truly want ALL three and you are American, Waterford, Ireland is pretty much the only answer if price matters and you want to be downtown.

email me or call if you want more details.

I'll be back in US next week.

And yes, Schengen is a BIG F....ing Issue
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 03:37   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

1. Mildest climate

January average temperatures are not very dependent on how far north or south you are if you're on the western coasts between: La Rochelle, 3C to 8C; and Stornoway 2C to 7C. Bergen, Norway, is seriously colder, from 0C to 5C)

How far east you are of the westernmost coastline is more important. Hamburg -1C to 4C; Antwerp 1C to 6C; London and Falmouth 4C to 10C. Big cities, of course, are are artificially warmed by about 2C. Falmouth isn't.

2. Shoreside Amenities

Entertainment - London, Paris, Cork, La Rochelle
Yacht Support - Falmouth, Cork, Solent, Cherbourg, W Brittany

3. Least Costly

France. British ports distant from the Solent. Ireland, if the Euro exchange rate is good.

4. Schengen Convenience

Britain or Ireland (180 days will look after your whole winter) then you've got 90 in 180 for France, and the Channel Islands for some extra time outside the EU. With 1 year visitor visa for France, Schengen becomes easier. Don't try to get a residence permit, because EU residents can't use non VAT paid boats within the EU.

You may find a lot more help on my web site. Just Google "jimbsail", then hunt for the "Going Foreign" tab to see lots of detail abot regulations in Europe, visas and Schengen stuff, and then have a look at the "Tidal Europe" pages to see what cruising is like in the various regions of Europe.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 11:41   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
The sea freezes in those places! That's even too hardcore for me!

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 12:08   #44

Boat: Amel 50

Norway is not in Schengen too.
Go to Baltic sea - it is not too fan north, winters are usually not so hard and sea has not frozen in marinas for last years, especially in the south part of Baltic.
Consider such countries as Poland, Lithuania.
Quite cheap for winter stay. For example one month under the roof costs around 200$ including acce do AC/DC and possibility of some work.
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 12:17   #45

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Norway is not in Schengen too.
In fact, Norway IS in Schengen area:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
Norway is not in the EU.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope