Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 17:07   #1

Boat: Selene 59
Wintering in Greece

I am bring my boat (Australian registered) over to the Mediterranean for the 2011 season and was thinking of leaving it for winter in Greece. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or problems in leaving vessels in Greece?

Also, I have been recommended to a marina in Corfu at Gouvia, can anyone add any comments on this marina?

Thanks
David
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 03:22   #2

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Re: Wintering in Greece

I can definitely recommend Lefkada Marina - there are a couple of catamarans here that are registered in Australia. The owners are overseas at present but if you contact Lefkas Marina they should be able to help with regards to the yacht.

Lefkada is a super place to over winter - the town stays open throughout, good bus services and a thriving live aboard community.
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 03:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

gouvia marina,well protected,but you will need to book early.
close to boat yard and chandelery,shops.
corfu town 20 mins by bus,cheap car hire,airport 30 min taxi.

lefkada,also very popular as posted above.

should be no problem paper work wise up to 18 months,then off to turkey,then should get another 18 months if needed.

welcome to cf
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 12:51   #4

Thanks for the input. I did talk to a skipper that wintered in Lefkas a few years ago and he complained of a southerly surge entering the marina. I know it is a "granny survey" of one person, but any comments?
Old 23-02-2011, 13:12   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Do you guys know how large of a catamaran can be hauled out at these marinas? I'm also looking but need haulout for 56' x 26'. I've checked Croatia and found three there and am getting more information on them. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02   #6

Boat: oceanis 393 seahorse
Send a message via Skype™ to john simons

hi, Gouvia marina is fine and well sheltered , staff are friendly and reasonably efficient. Charges for lift out et al ,is pricey, if you leave out of the water more than a month ,you pay supplements. Local boat yard will do lift out/in and unlimited dry storage for 1000 euros john
john simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:23   #7

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

Corfu is a nice island and we've stopped over in Gouvia back in 2007. Maybe my recollection was influenced by 50 degree heat wave, but I do recall good chandlery and bars, but lousy internet connection and water quality.
If you were looking for something further east in Greek islands then we had Kiwi pals who left their boat at Kos in 2008 and raved about work, care, help etc. We've stopped in there and the facilities were good - plus Turkey is only 1 hour away if you need to visit.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt

If you are looking for cheep haulout yard and plan to work on your boat when you are there, I was working on a boat that wintered just west of athens, that was cheep and nice - I think it was called Elefsina, but I am not sure if that is the town or just the one next to it. Pros - cheep, on the hard, close to lots of Chandleries, close to the airport, cheep good greek food. Cons: very industrial location, no liveabored community what so ever, not a lot of english speakers.
P.S.
I think they had the machinery to haul out a 56 cat, but could be wrong. There where a couple of very big beasts on the hard there.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:42   #9

Thanks for the additional information, no bad reports on Gouvia so far and everyone I have spoken to loves Corfu. We will be leaving the boat over winter, so things like Internet and so on are not that important to us. Good shelter and good security are what we are looking for.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29   #10

Does anybody have any comments on the new marina in Messalonghi? They are offering very good rates for winter lay up.

Cheers
Buena Vista
Old 13-03-2011, 09:34   #11
Jad

Boat: Alubat-Ovni (aluminium) 12.10 m JAD

Hello,
First of all, the marina of Messalonghi has no travel lift, but a crane. Quite distant from the town.
Gouvia is a nice marina , with pool, chandler, etc... but is expensive.
An alternative is the island of Leros, in the Dedocanese, close to Turkey. There are two marinas. The first one is called Lakki Marina. But I would not recommend to stay in the winter in the water as it is not as well protected as the Leros Marina, also in the Lakki Bay. This marina is very well sheltered, in and out of the water. The price is reasonable (specially for catamarans). The pontoons are new, and by the end of the year the ship chandler, the bar/restaurant and new bathrooms will be completed. They have a huge travel-lift (160 tons).
In the North of the island you have a large and very well equipped shipyard, where you can leave your boat out of the water only. It is the same management as the Lakki Marina.
To see the picture and comments of many marinas in Greece have a look at out site:
www.ovnijad.com
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:29   #12

Mmmmm .... just read about the Greek Cruising Tax "Law 3790", it seems staying in Greece for longer than 40 days is an expensive business if you are over 10m power or 15m sail. Can anyone throw any light on this tax? It seems I would be whacked about EUROS 6000, making Greece out of the question for a winter layover. Gouvia Marina says it has never been implemented but I am not sure I trust a bureacracy (actually I am sure and I don't). Any first hand experience out there?
Old 23-03-2011, 15:47   #13

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
I can definitely recommend Lefkada Marina - there are a couple of catamarans here that are registered in Australia. The owners are overseas at present but if you contact Lefkas Marina they should be able to help with regards to the yacht.

Lefkada is a super place to over winter - the town stays open throughout, good bus services and a thriving live aboard community.
Lekada is very expensive summer and winter but has good supermarkets. The Tavernas everywhere have wifi. There are open air shops fruit veg fish etc but now even in the public part of the harbour to the right of the floating restaraunt and Port Police towards the Athens bridge you have to pay and the facilities are not good. The bus service in the winter is Ok in the town but outside the town it starts late is inconsistent and finishes early. you can get marooned and it cost you 25€ + to get back to Levkas. Try Kos or Leros Good Harbours and Safest Marina in all of Greece and not expensive. If you want cheaper go to Turkey Marmaris etc. If you need work done on your boat its best to go elsewhere. (Speaking from experience)
Capitain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 15:49   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Gouvia Marina MedMarinas
Old 23-03-2011, 15:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
If you are looking for cheep haulout yard and plan to work on your boat when you are there, I was working on a boat that wintered just west of athens, that was cheep and nice - I think it was called Elefsina, but I am not sure if that is the town or just the one next to it. Pros - cheep, on the hard, close to lots of Chandleries, close to the airport, cheep good greek food. Cons: very industrial location, no liveabored community what so ever, not a lot of english speakers.
P.S.
I think they had the machinery to haul out a 56 cat, but could be wrong. There where a couple of very big beasts on the hard there.
Ekefsina
NNE of Piraeus

Tags
Greece