Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 03:44   #16

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
Charlie,

there is a excelent piolt book on the med by Rod Heikel. it will be hot in July till Sep. mainly westerlies 15 to 25 kn. along the potugise coast very few marinas. once in the Med , there are many Marinas starting La Douquesta After Gibraltar. not cheap . 30 to 40 dollrs a night. food is excellent, and people are kind. I have sailed these waters for many years.
engine spare are a must!
Mike
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:36   #17

Boat: None
On winter sailing in the Med - specifically asking Cjenkins and Twixter - I am working to get a 41-44 foot catamaran, and wonder if you could give some specific amounts per month for mooring in places ? Necessary to book ahead many months in advance ? Any specific recommendations ? General numbers for winter/summer ?

Also keen to hear on the Lagoons y'all have - pros/cons ?

thanks and happy sailing, look forward to joining you soon.
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:52   #18

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
I'm neither of your specific people, but would say it's very difficult to get specific prices except once you've identified specific places. There's wide variation. Often you are charged by the square meterage of your vessel so as you know a cat will be more.

Also on winter sailing - where were you thinking of? The Med is a big place. In winter the weather can be very rapidly changeable and create some big seas - but oike anywhere if you're able to pick your timing you can have great times with empty anchorages.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 19:12   #19
DtM

We have a 44 foot catamaran in the Med.

In May/June we sailed on her in the Toulon and east French coast, Northwest Italian coast, Elba and northern Corsica.

What occured to us was that our beam (25 feet) is more than many of the 100 to 120 foot powerboats. Marinas would often not have a berth for us.

That meant that we rang or used the radio to make enquiries well in advance (after we realised the issue). Often we were told, no. We generally paid the rate for a similar monohull plus 60%. We figured that was reasonable. Given that we were on a short trip we did not focus too closely on the cost of marinas although we just couldn't come to grips with the prices in St Florent and anchored out.

When we do a similar thing next year we will anchor out more. Don't miss out on seeing some of the great sights for the sake of a few Euro and the convenience of being on a dock.

We spent last winter on the hard in Port Pin Rolland in Rade Toulon and we will spend this winter there as well. I think it is relatively cheap to be on the hard but not everyone would agree I am sure.

Good luck, enjoy.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 13:21   #20

Boat: Gulfstar CSY 50
Re: Winter in the Med?

Hi, I know it's been a few years but how was the med in the winter? I'm narrowing in on a few yachts in the Med in the next few months and will then need to get her back to Gibraltar. What can I expect? I'm hopefully not in a rush and will be able to bring her back over about 4 weeks from Italy. Is this do able, will i be able to sail most of it or will i be under power and hearing for shelter ever day or so?
frazerhalliday is offline   Reply With Quote