Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 03:09   #1

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Winter in Italy, Malta, Tunisia . . . ?

Hello,

We are currently in southern Spain and plan to cruise the Baleares, Corsicia, Sardinia, the coast of Italy, Sicily and Tunisia this year.

Where do you think is the best place to spend next winter? We will live aboard part of the time, but want a place that is safe to leave the boat for up to 2 months.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Jim
Old 12-02-2008, 05:44   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Hi Jim
I spent some time in Malta & Tunsia last year ,Malta has lots of things to do, nice food,, city life, a bit expensive for my taste and all the sewage is pumped into the port , but the locals still swim in it every day. I had a friend along that got a bad infection on his heal from the water.
Tunisia is cheaper , but a different culture of things to do,and it can be a little risky if you travel away into the countryside, I have a friend who lives there and might be able to help you if theres any thing you need wile there
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 14:26   #3

Boat: Nauticat 515
Hi Jim,

Keep me posted of any good ideas, places and recommendations - your trip sound almost identical to ours.

Thanks

Con
consprenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 08:29   #4

Boat: SY 40ft one-off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomsen View Post
Hello,

We are currently in southern Spain and plan to cruise the Baleares, Corsicia, Sardinia, the coast of Italy, Sicily and Tunisia this year.

Where do you think is the best place to spend next winter? We will live aboard part of the time, but want a place that is safe to leave the boat for up to 2 months.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Jim
Hello Jim,

I think that the Tirrenian Side would be definitely expensive unless you wanted to try Sicily or Corsica. Better would be the Adriatic Sea but I don't know if your plans take you there.

Let me know and I'll be glad to help

Scud
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:52   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite
Hi Jim

depends on what you expect and what is your priority.

weather:
warmest (average of ~10-15 degrees celsius in january) in Turkey (but onyl soutcoast, for example Finike, Setur marina) or Sicily or south Italy (WE will winter next winter in Sibari )
Balearics have hard storms, and are too cold, even MORE cold is adria (not recommended for wintering, when living aboard), Greece is very (VERY)rainy

prices:
lowest in Tunisia, Turkey and south Italy

if you have special questions, let me know, we are living since 1994 on our cat in the med

kalinichta from Greece!
Old 29-02-2008, 11:29   #6

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Chili,
I will contact you with more questions. Right now we are thinking that we may also spend the winter in Sibari this year and then next year Turkey.

I am sure we will see you somewhere.

Jim
Old 01-03-2008, 00:29   #7

Hi Jim,

that would be great!!! we are just working on getting more people to winter there, to get a nice community. A good friend of us (aswell HR sailor like you) is aswell thinking about Sibari.

have just visited your homepage, very nice

keep in touch
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29   #8

Boat: Ovni 445
Hi Jim.

Though I lack Chili's extensive background in the Med. I spent a winter in Malta. It was lovely. The people were friendly and I really enjoyed it. I have no problem recommending it. Though I think it is a very safe place, I did have a break-in to my boat, while I was home for Christmas. They stole a few different things, mostly clothes and booze, but no electronics. In my boat they fared nicely, but in the boat next to mine, they made a real mess. It was done by a gang of kids (in their late teens) that they later caught, but nothing was retrieved. I was lucky to have insurance, so I got everything back.

Next time I would either choose Tunisia or Turkey, because it should be cheaper and because I hunger for something different now that I've seen Malta.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27   #9

Boat: Elan 434 Impression, Cariad - located Adriatic
Croatia is good

Our boat is currently in Croatia and has overwintered well so far.
sailwithrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27   #10

To mention Andreas`posting: be aware, that you cannot have any boatanimals (no, I am not talking of the cochrans ) like cats and dogs, because the maltese authorities will not allow to bring them in....

Turkey used to be very (VERY) cheap for a long while, but now, prices came to an european level, but only prices... not services. And, what we hear from friends, still moored there, another big problem should be now the increasing number of gülets and russians. I don´t know, if that is so, but this is, what we were informed by friends, when we made plans to return to Turkey (now we decided for Italy this year, an area, which we have explored with the camper on land, finding people friendly and prices affordable)

Tunisia is still cheap, but much more islam as for example Turkey. you need to be very patient and able to talk in french.
Old 01-03-2008, 14:51   #11

Boat: Trismus 37
Sidi Bou Said was good 35 years ago, except for ramadan if you wanted anything done by the locals, probably wouldn't recognise it now.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwithrob View Post
Our boat is currently in Croatia and has overwintered well so far.
for the boat maybe ok, for the crew too cold
Old 02-03-2008, 06:08   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to FreeSail
When I was in Malta, the exchange rate was terrible. This was when the US dollar was still king. If I remember correctly $100 US got me $68 Malta dollars. At the time anywhere in Europe the dollar would have received a much better exchange. I loved the island and it's history, but nothing and I mean nothing was cheap. I also had some clothing stolen.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:38   #14

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
@ Chilli,
Seit wann drueckst Du Dich auch in diesem Forum rum..? Oder hab' ich Dich bislang nur uebersehen? Gruss von Morski

Regarding wintering places, based on my experience prices for 12 meters:

Tunisia (currently in Hammamet): "Yasmine" is a safe and good Marina but no supermarkets in the vincinity (only one poorly stocked). Service/repair through "Rodriguez Yachting" prohibitively expensive. In water only: 2,400 Dinars/annual. "Marina" Monastir 50 nm south much cheaper, would not recommend it though, PN for reasons.

Malta: (Manoel Island Yacht Yard in 2007): on the hard only, living on board essentially impossible, good service/repairs, not cheap but all other options in Malta even more expensive. Good infrastructure and supply (chandlers galore, plenty of well-stocked supermarkets, cheap air-connections).

Sibari (2007):
One of my favorites. Safe, reasonable, professional and friendly Marina, Possibility of being confined during winter, laying on the hard and/or berthing in water. Good service/repairs on site with reasonable rates. Out in the middle of nowhere, supermarkets approx. 6 km in town (shuttle-service 2/week), Nearest airport 150 km (Lamezia) and 180 (Bari).

since it came up:
Croatia (more Marinas than can be counted, but availability may be an issue): expensive, some local options, PN if interested)

Montenegro (2005):
several options in Bar's harbor; rustic but slowly catching up, reasonable prices quickly catching up. Only place to avoid: Marina St.Nikola. Several well-stocked Supermarkets within walking distance, Service/repairs an issue if parts needed or time is short. Well served ferry-port. Tivat and Podgorica airports, each approx. 60 km.
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:41   #15

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSail View Post
When I was in Malta, the exchange rate was terrible. This was when the US dollar was still king. If I remember correctly $100 US got me $68 Malta dollars. At the time anywhere in Europe the dollar would have received a much better exchange. I loved the island and it's history, but nothing and I mean nothing was cheap. I also had some clothing stolen.

Europe is going to become even more expensive for US-sailors (or visitors for that matter); current exchange rate 1 Euro - 1,5 Dollars, anticipated low 1.6.

I agree with you: Malta is the most expensive of all mentioned options and personally I did not care for the island as such (mediocre food, too hectic, too dusty, no colors) but the infrastructure is superb.
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Malta, Tunisia, Italy