Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50   #16

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37 Elite
tach peter

ich drück mich gar nich rum, ich düse hier flott durch und guck, was mich interessiert

sorry guys, just a short chat in german

additional to sibari
since few weeks a big commercial center has opended nearby with supermarket (AUCHAN), electronic/electric shop (EXPERT), lots of boutiques, parfumeshops, optician, burger king (not open yet), italian fastfood () and and and....

sicily aswell might be a good spot for wintering

Old 03-03-2008, 05:26   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Chili:
I'm certain you've already discovered that this site deserves more than a "quick look" around. You should find lot's of interesting content.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:52   #18

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
Chili obviously has more recent infos on Sibari than me. It was always a favorite of mine and after the mentioned improvements it will be difficult to find a better place. The only downside that I could (now) find is the access to airports. Having said this: A rental-car company delivers (and picks up) vehicles to/from the Marina without charge and Sibari-town has a fairly well served train-station.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:28   #19

Hello Folks,

my boat stays in Ravenna (North Adriatic Sea) but I have sailed all over the Mediterranean Sea (Turkey, Greece, Tunisia, Malta, etc.)

Today's exchange rate is a kill for whoever is travelling on USD and prices are skyrocketing everywhere, also in Turkey but you can still find places where your boat would be safe and the final bill affordable.

In Croatia there are hundreds of natural small harbours where you can leave your boat safely moored and guarded by a local fisherman and your bill would be reasonable. I think that also the ACI Marinas make good prices for storage on a dry berth and you can actually find a detailed price list here

Adriatic Croatia International Club // aci-club.hr

Croatia is wonderful but you have to pay an annual entry fee based on the overall length of your boat (200 or so Euro for a 40' ball-park). Temperatures on sea are very much on the mild side.
If you come to my side of the Adriatic Sea instead you can find good deeals for storing your boat and very efficient yachtyards but don't expect blue seas and clear skys. Maybe if you stopped in the south like Trani you can still enjoy good whether in wintertime and a nice blue sea but the more you push North the colder and foggier it becomes.
Never benn personally in Sicily but I have been told it is wonderful and I have contacts too in case you needed assistance.

See ya on water

Scud
Old 03-03-2008, 08:29   #20

Scud's portrait of Croatia is imho way too rosy:

1. The Kuna (Croatian currency) is essentially following the Euro... no advantage there (hope the link works).

2. To leave the boat in a little harbor under the care of a local fisherman for any length of time is illegal. Unbeknown to many owners the Marinas automatically place foreign flagged boats under a custom-lock which exempts the vessel from all kind of regulations and taxes while in Croatian waters. The local fisherman does not know this and has no authority to do it. There are however some very basic "marinas" (suha marina) which are authorized to harbor foreign flagged boats but do little advertising and get customers by word-of-mouth, PN if interested as offered before.

3. Presenting the ACI chain as a poster-child of reasonable berthing is quite a stretch; Croatia as a whole is ever increasing prices and famous for all kind of fees ("free" anchoring, mooring in harbors, tying up on buoys, entry into designated "National Parks", all will cost you). The ACI-group increased even more than the rest of the country: in some Marinas 30 % over the last 2 years. Availability for wintering is most likely an issue, perhaps with the exeption of some undesireable locations (Pula comes to mind and perhaps some harder to reach island-facilities).

I certainly agree that the sailing-area as such is beautiful, has a good maritime infrastructure and shelter is never far, so Croatia has distinct qualities. But one must do his/her homework.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dollar vs Kuna.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2873  
Old 03-03-2008, 09:33   #21

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Morski,

We will follow many of your other recommendations..thanks. So, you think that Sibari would be a good choice for us for next winter?

Still looking forward to meeting you somewhere.

Jim
Old 03-03-2008, 14:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
We had a great time living aboard in the winter in Vibo Marina (Valentia) in southern Italy 2 yrs ago. Walk to markets, train station, not as cold as further north. Marina rates were negotiable, and we paid about 250 euro/mo plus power for 14 meter boat. We have been back a couple of times to visit the friends we made there.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
We had a great time living aboard in the winter in Vibo Marina (Valentia) in southern Italy 2 yrs ago. Walk to markets, train station, not as cold as further north. Marina rates were negotiable, and we paid about 250 euro/mo plus power for 14 meter boat. We have been back a couple of times to visit the friends we made there.
You see.... it's all a matter of who you meet and of your perception of the environment around. If you had asked me Vibo Valentia would have been the last of my picks since I see it as one of the most dangerous places in Italy (mobbing, mafia, etc., etc.) but as everywhere else the majority of the people are honest and friendly.

Sailing in the Mediterranean Sea and chartering bareboats around the world I never had a single issue but I think of myself as very lucky and I wouldn't dare to recommend others to follow my path.

I agree with Morski that Croatia has become very expensive lately, but there is a huge difference from travelling there in June/July and August. Lot cheaper and friendlier in June than August. Wintertime is very low season for them and since they are plenty of marinas and harbours .... you can negotiate a very good deal for the winter. In case you aren't happy yo can always cross to Italy in a matter of 9 to 15 hours.

Otherwise you can look at Greece (Ionian Islands). In Lefkada you can find a good marina with all services. But I guess the bill would be close to what you would pay in Italy or Croatia for a similar service.

Alternatively a friend of mine for two years in a row left the boat tendered by a local fishermen (paid a lump sum of 100/150 Euro) and moored on her anchor with the stern tied to the dock. Not a scratch!

Scud
Old 05-03-2008, 02:57   #24

Hi Jim

I am sure, Sibari is a good choice (why should WE decide to go to there, if it wasn`t ??) have a look on their homepage and calculate your price and then compare with other marinas.....

What you must know: it IS in the middle of nowhere, but therefore is nice and quiet For stocking up regulary, there is a shuttle bus of the marina, bringing people to the supermarket.

What you cannot expect is any entertainment, this is up to you but (to us!) not really a problem, as we found out, that there is a good possibility to enter the internet, we have lots of books aboard, nice tv and happy with us alone. of course, we would be even more happy with a nice community next winter , real social life always is better, than virtual life.....

The normal winters are much milder and warmer than in the adriatic and less rainy than in the greek ionian (where we have wintered now 4 years)
Old 05-03-2008, 05:49   #25

Golfo di Taranto

Again I agree with Chilli:
Usually you will find quite a few liveaboarders in Sibari (we did and made good friends there), which of course are intangibles. I do know however that Sibari becomes more popular with many cruisers lately, largely due to word-of-mouth.

The climate in the "Golfo di Taranto" is sort of a micro-climate indeed, particularly in the Northwestern "corner", the "Golfo die Corigliano" which harbors Sibari. Maria (the office-receptionist) told me that it is routinely warmer there when compared to corresponding latitudes, say on the Adriatic or Thyrrenian shores. Perhaps due to the mountains protecting the region to the North and trapping warm air-flow from the South.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:08   #26

Hi Chili and Morski,

You have convinced us! I sent an email to Maria and reserved a space. So, Chili, see you this winter.

Jim
Old 05-03-2008, 14:48   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomsen View Post
Hi Chili and Morski,

You have convinced us! Jim
That probably means we are in some sort of trouble and are going to get an earful if you do not like it..)

Seriously: I think you made a good choice. Say "Hello" to Maria for me

Peter / SY Nepomuk
Old 07-03-2008, 05:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomsen View Post
Hi Chili and Morski,

You have convinced us! I sent an email to Maria and reserved a space. So, Chili, see you this winter.

Jim
Hi Jim,
yeah! hope you like it , have a nice season!!
Old 13-03-2008, 08:10   #29

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
Jim,

I guess this reply might be a bit too late. Still, better late than never.

Have a look at my web site. It gives an outline of all the areas you'll be cruising through, including pointing out most of the places suitable for laying up and wintering.

You have a wide choice, including some very cheap options - such as pulling up onto the mud at Tranquil bay, near Nidri, Levkas Island, Greece. Costs nothing - except the three monthly cruising tax for non-EU yachts cruising Greek waters (about €200 for three months for a 12m yacht).

JimB
JimB's sail Europe - or Google 'jimb sail'
Compares the cruise areas of Europe
Old 13-03-2008, 23:15   #30

JimB,

Thanks... and it's never too late. I have enjoyed your website and have looked over many of the places we do want to visit. I'll look again, with winter in mind.

Again, thanks for doing a great job with your website!

Jim

Tags
Malta, Tunisia, Italy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: