Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 12:43   #1

Why not Croatia? Why Croatia?

Family of 5 (Ages 38, 36, 12, 11, 5) from the U.S. bought a cat in Lefkada Greece (West coast just below Corfu), starting sailing May 14th and wanting to cross the Atlantic this November.

Given that we are limited to only 3 months in Schengen countries I had planned on spending a couple months in Croatia. The islands and water look beautiful, we had a great time there boat shopping last November, and it allows us to stay in Schengen compliance.

Most of the time when I mention this to other cruisers everyone talks about how expensive and crowded it is. I had assumed the entire Med was expensive and crowded in the summer months. We are on a budget and while we found land based provisions / lodging in Croatia to be reasonably priced, I wonder if these warnings are worth heeding.

I'd love to hear opinions on cruising Croatia in the months of June / July / beginning of August. Interested in the good and bad.

Thanks!
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 13:54   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: Why not Croatia? Why Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw50 View Post
Family of 5 (Ages 38, 36, 12, 11, 5) from the U.S. bought a cat in Lefkada Greece (West coast just below Corfu), starting sailing May 14th and wanting to cross the Atlantic this November.

Given that we are limited to only 3 months in Schengen countries I had planned on spending a couple months in Croatia. The islands and water look beautiful, we had a great time there boat shopping last November, and it allows us to stay in Schengen compliance.

Most of the time when I mention this to other cruisers everyone talks about how expensive and crowded it is. I had assumed the entire Med was expensive and crowded in the summer months. We are on a budget and while we found land based provisions / lodging in Croatia to be reasonably priced, I wonder if these warnings are worth heeding.

I'd love to hear opinions on cruising Croatia in the months of June / July / beginning of August. Interested in the good and bad.

Thanks!
The cruising tax rates dropped a bit in croatia, so that's a plus. you will probably encounter a lot of (bareboat) charters, and there are a lot of (expensive) mooring buoys. However if you do your research, there are enough anchorages that are quiet and don't cost an arm & leg. There is a great FB group called Med Sailing that can provide good advise. Also read your cruising guides and pilots and study the maps. Be aware that Croatia has extremely strict check in/out rules so read up on them on Noonsite, etc.

If croatia is too much of a hassle consider Turkey. Easy sail from Corfu, going through the Cyclades and the Dodecanese, which are both beautiful areas. And Turkey is a great place to explore.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 15:19   #3
cruiser

I spend less than $20 a day enjoying beautiful Croatia on an Oyster 53. It's not so much that everyone on this forum is on a tight budget, it's more like there's way too many parrots on this forum who just keep on repeating what they've heard, and have never actually visited the area themselves.

You'll be fine with half your proposed budget unless you spend the entire time in expensive marinas, but why should you when there're literally thousands of beautiful anchorages to enjoy. PM me if you like, I'll be sailing down the coast of Croatia beginning May 20, maybe we can meet up around Dubrovnik or Montenegro on our way to Greece.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 15:34   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

I spend less than $20 a day
Of course you can.
I know few people who went to Croatia and spend $20 a week. they were stealing vegetables and fruits from local people gardens.

Like that Australian couple I sow in Zaton, near Dubrovnik, they even brought own kid with them.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 15:55   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruz View Post
Of course you can.
I know few people who went to Croatia and spend $20 a week. they were stealing vegetables and fruits from local people gardens.

Like that Australian couple I sow in Zaton, near Dubrovnik, they even brought own kid with them.
There’s no shortage of useless nonsense on this forum.

Please feel free to contact me or some of our friends for the real story. ‘Nuff said. Or look up the Adriatic squad on this forum. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ad-183844.html
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 16:22   #6
cruiser

Quote:

[/url]

Super, then why you do not stay in your own country and enjoy cruising for less then $20 a day.

I think that Croats would be glad to see your back.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 08:12   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:

Please feel free to contact me or some of our friends for the real story. ‘Nuff said. Or look up the Adriatic squad on this forum. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ad-183844.html

hey keno, gruz a friend of the family?
Old 19-04-2019, 08:13   #8

Boat: Currently in between

Gruz, it appears Ken posted relevant, first-hand knowledge for the benefit of the OP. Why the attack?
Old 19-04-2019, 08:37   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have cruised on charter boats in Croatia for three weeks over the last two years in the waters around Split. Everyone one in our group loved it, and I'd highly recommend it. Yes, it can be expensive to moor in the center of town(s), where you also get power, water, showers, and easy access to the lovely places that every island seems to offer. But you don't have to moor, obviously, and you can anchor out in dozens, no hundreds, of protected coves, away from the towns and cities.

I think that what we found so wonderful was that there always seems to be a friendly, gorgeous village around the corner with competent line-handlers on shore when you DO want to spend some money and enjoy a meal ashore or reprovision.

I don't know about many other cruising areas in the Med, although I hope to someday. But I can heartily recommend the islands near Split as being gorgeous and friendly.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 09:22   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

JGW,

I have sailed around Croatia for the last 5 yrs. Wonderful. if you wish to splash the cash then ACI marinas will relieve you of about EUR 100/night for 40-45 ft. But as Ken says, why do that when there are so many superb bays where you can anchor. Hv a swim before dinner, hv a skinny dip before breakfast. You cannot do that in a marina. In some secluded bays there are also restaurants who will give you a free mooring +water & electr but i suggest you agree the menu price first. You can make yr own conclusions but personally i wld ignore the comments from Gruz. Enjoy yr trip.
Andrew
Old 19-04-2019, 09:38   #11

Boat: Leopard 45

I've done two bareboat charters on a Leopard 44 from Split to Dubrovnik and the whole crew both times said it was the vacation of their life. World heritage sites everyday and lots of free anchorages nearby if you want to avoid the crowd. We cooked on board most nights and lived well within our budget of $10 apiece per night. We did splurge one night at a private marina that cost $120 for the night. Otherwise anchoring was free. Some places did say that it would cost to drop anchor. We avoided those marine parks and city harbors. You will, however, find lots of competition in the free bays along the way. Especially during the summer months. Also bone up on your med mooring skills.
Have fun in Croatia, the secret is already out with the Europeans that it is a sailors paradise.
Cheers,
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 15:38   #12

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw50 View Post

Thanks!
Have to say that overall we did not like Croatia. We crossed into northern Croatia from Venice then sailed down the length of the country and went to Montenegro. When we arrived in the North and checked in we said wow what a wonderful place - friendly people, reasonable prices and good food. As we sailed south it deteriorated - food become bland and boring, greed for money seemed to be the dominant factor and we got the distinct impression that the locals had had enough of tourists. We would anchor in a beautiful bay and someone would row out and say this is my bay, pay up. Tie up to a crowded wall and pay nose bleed prices without water or electricity. Went to their one decent stretch of sand that they use in all the adverts - got attacked by wasps. In comparison we loved Montenegro and would second the opinion on Turkey - an amazing place to cruise (and enjoy the Greek islands on the way there and back). Never going back to Croatia.

TwT
Old 19-04-2019, 20:43   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO36i 2008

We (three couples) spent a week chartering out of Split last September. Even at that time it was busy, but we were visiting the main tourist sites and overnighting at ACI marinas. I would go back but next time try to stay off the beaten track. Our experience of Croatian hospitality was overwhelmingly positive.
Jhclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 21:54   #14

I wonder why you want to stay there for so long? I would recommend to explore even other areas and discover more. Certainly Greece but also Albania, Montenegro, Sicily, Sardinia, Balearics. In August the more popular regions will be quite full which is may be not so much enjoyable. So you may plan to visit more remote places during that time.
We purchased our boat in southern France and started in April 2013. Stayed until September in the Med (then leaving to Canaries) and we didn't even have time to see Croatia.
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 22:00   #15

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I wrote Croatia off my med list because of a number of reports like Toys said, locals claiming crap when you are anchored in that secluded little bay... I don't need the stress. But I think the north would be where I'd go... I spent a lot of time in and around croatia and all of former yugoslavia overland, and the islands around Pag and Zadar, man I'd sail that.

But having also spent a lot of time in montenegro, I'd just as soon go there. Kotor bay and old town kotor is heaven on earth. Don't know how much tourist cruises have changed it (haven't been back in a few years) but look at montenegro on google. Albania also in your area is a beautiful very untouristed for the most part tho they love visitors... especially Americans! (Because America was the first country to support Kosovo independence, which is filled with ethnic albanians). And by friendly I mean-we had a hard time paying for a drink-friendly.

From Corfu, I'd go straight to Albania and see if you like it. If not, Montenegro. I think between the two you'll get hung up for long enough to make you happy...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia