Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2019, 22:51   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: Why not Croatia? Why Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
Have to say that overall we did not like Croatia. We crossed into northern Croatia from Venice then sailed down the length of the country and went to Montenegro. When we arrived in the North and checked in we said wow what a wonderful place - friendly people, reasonable prices and good food. As we sailed south it deteriorated - food become bland and boring, greed for money seemed to be the dominant factor and we got the distinct impression that the locals had had enough of tourists. We would anchor in a beautiful bay and someone would row out and say this is my bay, pay up. Tie up to a crowded wall and pay nose bleed prices without water or electricity. Went to their one decent stretch of sand that they use in all the adverts - got attacked by wasps. In comparison we loved Montenegro and would second the opinion on Turkey - an amazing place to cruise (and enjoy the Greek islands on the way there and back). Never going back to Croatia.

TwT
Spot on mate and pretty similar to our experiences there over 2 different seasons.

(of course there are exceptions and away from the touristy spots it does get better)

But even if i wanted to go back the admiral has put a blanket ban on the place!

Personally i think some of the people that think the croats are lovely just arent very good at reading people.

Either that or they havnt yet experienced the more honest hospitality that you experience as cruisers in Greece and Turkey.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 05:02   #17
cruiser

If I have to go to some foreign country for "cruising holyday" and have to live on $20 or even $10 a day/night I would kill my self.

…. and Greece and Turkey are poor people cruising ground, for people who would eat own s.h.i.t. if they can get it for free, and I found interesting that they are mostly Americans, Australians and British, and in the same time in their own countries they are charged even for the air they are breathing.

...and when they realise that they can not get free lunch, free water, free mooring, free whatever they came here or other sites and start spitting on whichever country it did not "meet their expectation", expectation of some kind of supernatural god given race of people.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:41   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I wrote Croatia off my med list because of a number of reports like Toys said, locals claiming crap when you are anchored in that secluded little bay... I don't need the stress. But I think the north would be where I'd go... I spent a lot of time in and around croatia and all of former yugoslavia overland, and the islands around Pag and Zadar, man I'd sail that.

But having also spent a lot of time in montenegro, I'd just as soon go there. Kotor bay and old town kotor is heaven on earth. Don't know how much tourist cruises have changed it (haven't been back in a few years) but look at montenegro on google. Albania also in your area is a beautiful very untouristed for the most part tho they love visitors... especially Americans! (Because America was the first country to support Kosovo independence, which is filled with ethnic albanians). And by friendly I mean-we had a hard time paying for a drink-friendly.

From Corfu, I'd go straight to Albania and see if you like it. If not, Montenegro. I think between the two you'll get hung up for long enough to make you happy...
A good example of why we don’t listen to other people and prefer to experience things ourselves. Croatia is truly a peaceful gem in the Med, You should try it sometime.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:44   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruz View Post
If I have to go to some foreign country for "cruising holyday" and have to live on $20 or even $10 a day/night I would kill my self.

…. and Greece and Turkey are poor people cruising ground, for people who would eat own s.h.i.t. if they can get it for free, and I found interesting that they are mostly Americans, Australians and British, and in the same time in their own countries they are charged even for the air they are breathing.

...and when they realise that they can not get free lunch, free water, free mooring, free whatever they came here or other sites and start spitting on whichever country it did not "meet their expectation", expectation of some kind of supernatural god given race of people.
This seems to be an ongoing theme with all of your posts regarding every subject on each thread.
Old 20-04-2019, 09:36   #20
cruiser

Touched your nerve there, did I
Old 20-04-2019, 09:46   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A good example of why we don’t listen to other people and prefer to experience things ourselves. Croatia is truly a peaceful gem in the Med, You should try it sometime.

I was cruising there before you could show Europe let alone Croatia on the map.

first time in 1979 then from 1982 to 1985, actually I met my, then, American girlfriend, from Houston, TX, in Dubrovnik in 1983. She was working for Pan Am at that time.

She wonted to merry me and after 3 years I run away as fast as I could.

anything else you wont to know.
Old 20-04-2019, 14:56   #22
cruiser

Quote:
No, and quite frankly... I have no idea what the motivation can be behind your anti-American stance towards everything on multiple threads.

I'm only a participant on this threat to encourage fellow cruisers of all nationalities and income levels, to enjoy Croatia as we have over the past three years. We'll be returning there for the entire month of June, and then on to Greece and Turkey over the next several years.

But that's OK if you've scared a few cruisers away.... it'll be their loss for listening to your nonsense, while we continue to enjoy the cruising experience Croatia has to offer..
Old 20-04-2019, 15:28   #23

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
@Gruz wow calm down, now you forgot an important forum rule; the "be nice" rule.......!
Old 20-04-2019, 15:36   #24
cruiser

Quote:

No, and quite frankly... I have no idea what the motivation can be behind your anti-American stance towards everything on multiple threads.

I am not against no one, I am "against" people who go to any foreign country with colonial attitude, spending $10 or $20 and then expecting locals to kiss their ass and when that does not happen then they are going around sites and forums gleeking on those countries and its people.

Those people, regardless of their nationality are reminding me of Aesop's fable, "The Fox and the Grapes ".

Old 20-04-2019, 21:10   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

May the Site moderators and Admin staff of C.F. remind all participants of this thread that personal opinions and honest experiences in cruising are most welcome.

May we also remind everyone that rudeness and antagonism toward each other are not encouraged and will result in post deletion and membership demerits.

The C.F. enforce a strict "Be Nice" stance.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 23:13   #26

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Actually, Ken, you just sorta proved my point about listening to others.... cause I should have weighted the opinions. Your opinion makes me more likely to give it a go. And we probably will. As I said, I spent many months in the former yugoslavia (living on the south Hungary border, it was my playground on the motorcycle and VW for 5 years or so)...so I know I like them plenty as folks.

Where are you gonna be this summer? I still want a beer if you're around greece....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 23:20   #27

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Actually, Ken, you just sorta proved my point about listening to others.... cause I should have weighted the opinions. Your opinion makes me more likely to give it a go. And we probably will. As I said, I spent many months in the former yugoslavia (living on the south Hungary border, it was my playground on the motorcycle and VW for 5 years or so)...so I know I like them plenty as folks.

Where are you gonna be this summer? I still want a beer if you're around greece....
Hey, just don't think that you will find that nice "Balaton" atmosphere on the coast. It's completely different and based on hard kapitalism often without that symphatic touch of self-reflection. I personally don't like the Croatian coastal region. What we, the old countries, received after hundreds of years Tito never teached them in the old communist times.
Old 20-04-2019, 23:55   #28
cruiser

Quote:

I’ve spent the past two seasons island hopping and at ports all along the coast of Croatia, tourist spots and non-tourist locations. Not a single bad day or less than very pleasant experience along the way. Maybe attitude plays a part... who knows?

I have a habit of treating others as I like to be treated and beginning each encounter as new and with a smile. No problems so far in any country or customs/immigration office, in fact... on many occasions, the locals have gone out of their way to be helpful and accommodating.

I’ll be in Croatia/Montenegro in June, then Western Greece, Corfu and the inland sea for July and August.
Old 21-04-2019, 03:01   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . . I have a habit of treating others as I like to be treated and beginning each encounter as new and with a smile. No problems so far in any country or customs/immigration office, in fact... on many occasions, the locals have gone out of their way to be helpful and accommodating..

Attitude doesn't just have something to do with it, it's EVERYTHING. There's a parable about it which I won't repeat as it's been posted on here a hundred times.

I have experienced the slightly aggressive, sometimes rapacious attitudes in the tourist parts of Croatia during the peak of the tourist season, which some have mentioned, but don't let a few people (mostly taxi drivers) spoil anyone's impression of a beautiful place which is mostly extremely friendly (like everywhere, to travelers with a good attitude ).

I actually go way back with tourism in Croatia, which is the only place I've ever been arrested . Yes. The crime was being a tourist out of season -- the year was 1981 and Yugoslavia was still in Tito's iron grip -- I had ridden my bicycle from Germany with a tent, not knowing that individual leisure travel out of season was a crime Even that didn't spoil my impression of that lovely place, and I came back later to sail, and would jump at a chance to do it again.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 03:07   #30

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Croatia today is definitely IN
Turkey today is definitely OUT .
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia