Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 02:16   #1

Who cruises the Black Sea?

I live about half time in Odessa, Ukraine.

I love it there. But, I am curious about how many folks have cruised the Black Sea?

Anyone interested in cruising the Black Sea, or up any of the rivers?

Wayne
Old 10-10-2013, 02:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Who cruises the Black Sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Guero View Post
I live about half time in Odessa, Ukraine.

I love it there. But, I am curious about how many folks have cruised the Black Sea?

Anyone interested in cruising the Black Sea, or up any of the rivers?

Wayne
After meeting up by chance with Dorren and Archie Annan, authors of 'Cruise The Black Sea' (a cruising guide with details of 180 anchorages) we were very keen.

Although the cruising season is limited to the summer months simply by the weather, they described the area around Ukraine as beautiful.

We were, however, subsequently put off by tales of experiences other crusiers had had in the hands of officials .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is the cruising guide Doreen and Archie have written:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	68421  

Old 11-10-2013, 01:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
This is the cruising guide Doreen and Archie have written:
Also see at hyc.ie cruising section of site logs of Carmel & Ken Kavanagh "Safari of Howth" HR
paulclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 23:56   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we will be exploring the idea of cruising the black sea in the summer of 2015 -- next year 2014 we do southern italy, albania, and greece and winter over in turkey - then the following summer if we get the visas and it appears to be reasonable we will head to the black sea for the summer before wintering over in turkey again
God willing of course

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57   #6

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Perhaps one or more of you could register on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki (which already has some useful information on Black Sea harbours) and update the information as you go?

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 07-11-2013, 02:02   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we will be exploring the idea of cruising the black sea in the summer of 2015
I know your trip is a year and a half away, but I would be very interested in any feedback you could give us about your experiences. I would love to visit one summer if the situation with officials improves.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:08   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've sailed along the Russian part. It's very beautiful (that's the tail of the Caucasus Mountains which come down to the sea), but there is practically zero infrastructure and almost no place to anchor. No islands and very few indentations; a bit like the central part of the East coast of Italy I think.

Officialdom in Russia for sailors is a nightmare, as yachts are still treated like commercial ships for purposes of clearing in and out. I gave a speech on this in Sochi a couple of years ago, which was not well received. Westerners also require visas in Russia, not hard to get, but an extra hassle and expense.

I don't know about Ukraine; obviously the Crimea is a different geography and probably a much better cruising ground. Don't know whether their official procedures have been reformed or not. Visas not required, a plus.

Abkhazia (the Northeast corner of the Black Sea) is a disputed territory between Russia and Georgia which is supposed to be a nice place to sail, but probably legally bizarre. It's a subtropical wonderland, in a microclimate formed by the high Caucasus blocking all air masses from the North. There is some kind of yacht haven in Sukhumi, but don't bet on anything we would think of as facilities.

The Georgian coast is very beautiful -- I've seen it from land, but not sailed there. Georgia does not require visas of Western citizens. Donald Trump is building a tower in Batumi. Batumi is being developed at a huge pace and is a fun place. Georgia is altogether extremely interesting, beautiful, charming place, well worth a visit even if you have to fly there. I was just there last week.

I think a Black Sea cruise might be lots of fun, but I would probably avoid the Russian part.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't know about Ukraine; obviously the Crimea is a different geography and probably a much better cruising ground. Don't know whether their official procedures have been reformed or not. Visas not required, a plus.
I just checked the website of the Ukrainian embassy in Australia and found visas are still required :
"Australian and New Zealand citizens need visa to enter Ukraine. To obtain a visa it is necessary to apply at a Ukrainian Embassy or Consulate as visa is not issued at the airport or at the border crossing points of Ukraine."
Visas - Embassy of Ukraine in Australia

Old 07-11-2013, 07:15   #10

Lass -- we just figured when we are in turkey we would go to each embassy and talk with them and work it out -- that way at least we can get good information and visas if needed and maybe some contacts --

just our thoughts and opinions
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia
Old 07-11-2013, 07:34   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Lass -- we just figured when we are in turkey we would go to each embassy and talk with them and work it out -- that way at least we can get good information and visas if needed and maybe some contacts.
When we met Doreen and Archie about 3-4 years ago they said to simply visit the embassies in Istanbul to organise the visas.

Their guide covered all this and had a wealth of information about anchorages. It was available through the marina (I think in or near Istanbul) involved with publishing it. It would be worthwhile trying to get a copy of you are planning to cruise the area.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:53   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
I just checked the website of the Ukrainian embassy in Australia and found visas are still required :
"Australian and New Zealand citizens need visa to enter Ukraine. To obtain a visa it is necessary to apply at a Ukrainian Embassy or Consulate as visa is not issued at the airport or at the border crossing points of Ukraine."
Visas - Embassy of Ukraine in Australia

I said Western people don't need visas, that is, European/North American types. Naturally, the Ukrainians don't let Antipodean types in their country without a thorough check. Why, they're not crazy. The country would be flooded with Aussie mail order bride grifters if they let you lot in without a visa
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
When we met Doreen and Archie about 3-4 years ago they said to simply visit the embassies in Istanbul to organise the visas.

Their guide covered all this and had a wealth of information about anchorages. It was available through the marina (I think in or near Istanbul) involved with publishing it. It would be worthwhile trying to get a copy of you are planning to cruise the area.
I think Russia is the only littoral Black Sea country which requires a visa in advance from Western people, and even that may change as negotiations are going on now for mutual visa-free travel between Russia and the EU.

The Russian visa is easy to get; the Russians are extremely efficient and friendly in giving out visas. Unfortunately it is otherwise with clearing in and out of Russian ports.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Naturally, the Ukrainians don't let Antipodean types in their country without a thorough check. Why, they're not crazy. The country would be flooded with Aussie mail order bride grifters if they let you lot in without a visa
Everyone seems to be onto us LOL. I had awful trouble in Tunisia arriving without a visa. It wasn't a problem for Yanks and Brits.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:14   #15

Tunisia was one of the easiest places we have checked into -- the guys were great and made it really simple -- everything was right at the port and we tied up to the dock just after sunset (cut that one close as we don't like going into new ports at dark) - and within 50 meters was the police and behind them was customs and they actually walked me around and helped with the language --

just our thoughts and opinons
in port yasmine hammamet tunisia for the winter

Tags
cruise