Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 05:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Where to charter in August in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsalgueiro View Post
Dear Chalifour,
Greece and Turkey are beautiful countries with beautiful islands, but, unfortunately right now this part of Mediterranean Sea is not a vacation place. As you should know there as thousands of war refugees sailing in small boats without conditions, just trying to arrive to safe shore in Europe. 2016 Is definitely not a good year to go there if you are not in a warship. It´s a very, very dangerous place. We hope 2017 this problem is solved.

Best regards,
João Salgueiro
Joao,

1t's just fine if you want to promote Spain or Portugal for some reason, but spreading around horror stories about Greek and Turkish coasts is not fair..
I am sailing in these waters quite frequently and never seen any refugees problem. They are in big numbers in some close islands of Greece , ie Kos, Samos, Simi, etc. and as they sometimes exceed the small local population of these islands, they create problem because of insufficient infrastructure. (water for instance is not sufficient even for locals in some these islands)
Turkish side is a bit better being a mainland and quite big.

Talking about safety, regardless whether you are sailing or leaving on land, unfortunately there is not anymore any safe heaven for anybody.. It's true that some places are relatively safer than others, but if you want to be to be 100 % safe, you better stay at home..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:52   #17

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Where to charter in August in Europe

Dear Yeloya,
In a different perspective, you are right and i´m sorry because it was not my intention blacken that islands or countries. Otherwise it is not my intention to promote Portugal and much less Spain. My truly concern was just to help a sailor that was asking to be advised to spend some time in this part of the globe… as I know all the coast I said like the palm of my hand, my comments went in that direction. I´m a sailor, not a broker or a charter company.
Once more, i´m sincerely sorry if I offended anyone, but for all sailors, try to explore Alvor and Ria de Faro because all of you will love it as I do.
Best regards
João
jpsalgueiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Europe, rope