Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 15:51   #16

Boat: too many
Re: What I Woke Up To See This Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, between Weymouth and Poole, you have to round St. Alban's Head (and a terrible tidal race there) and Anvil Point. Between Weymouth and St. Alban's Head, about 9 miles East of Weymouth, is first Lulworth Cove, a famous beauty spot, and then Mupe Bay/Worbarrow Bay. These are indentations in the steep-to rocky coast and absolutely gorgeous. There is also Durdle Door, worth googling.

These places are so beautiful -- and no billboards etc. -- because they belong to the British military -- a huge area is reserved as the main firing range for the British Army. In fact you are forbidden from being in the spot in the photograph except on weekends. So obviously there is no development of any kind and the whole area is completely wild.

I was at anchor there a couple of years ago and sitting on deck smoking a cigar when we heard racing speedboat engines, but could see no lights. The noise got closer and closer, and the three dark shapes flashed right by us, and then we heard shouts and machine gun fire, and saw muzzle flashes -- a British commando team was practicing night amphibious assaults. It was incredibly cool to watch. It all happened right there where the photo was made.

This is all I could come up with, so I guess I need the Lat and Long to find it.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:03   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Bobs photo is Durdle Door which along with Stair Hole just to the East the coast is unique. You can see the folds in the rock formations which have created the whole area and even contains our own Dallas Southfork.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stair hole.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	39526  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

So many beautiful places to see on this Earth, and they're even prettier from the cockpit of a boat.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:48   #19

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 1978 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
B**tard!

Very nice.

Sigh...
LOL

I feel exactly the same.
PMCunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 06:55   #20
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Traded in the 121 pound Rocna for a 100 pound Spade.

The bottom is very difficult -- rock covered with a thin layer of rock dust/sand.

My Delta --the anchor which came with the boat -- simply wouldn't set there.

The Rocna set with difficulty, but once set always held.

The Spade practically rips the windlass out of the deck when it sets -- even in this difficult bottom. I am very pleased I posted about this in another thread.
WOW with a 100 pound spade holding in a hurricane is going to be doable!! Great Pictures!!-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 07:59   #21

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

Quote:
Attachment 39423

The new anchor was holding splendidly!
That's a great shot. Do you mind me asking which camera and lens you used?
Bill4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 08:11   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4 View Post
That's a great shot. Do you mind me asking which camera and lens you used?
Thanks! It's a Panasonic Lumix LX5 with a Leica Summicron lens. A somewhat fancified point & shoot camera. The camera I switched to after I sold all my Leicas and regretfully abandoned chemical photography.

It replaced an apparently identical one I lost when my briefcase was stolen in January. This one produces photos with a different look and feel from the old one. I don't know whether the sensor has been improved, or the software has been changed, but it looks distinctly better for some reason.

The shots are not post-processed at all -- jpegs just as they were produced in the camera.

I like this camera, among many other reasons, because of the lens -- quite fast for this type of camera at F2 and with a zoom lens opening up to 24mm (equivalent). It's of course not made by Leica, but I think it's a Leica design, quite well executed by Panasonic.

The other thing I like is that it fits in a pocket (like my old Leica CL) so is always ready when I see something worth shooting. I'm too busy when sailing to deal with anything bulkier than that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:31   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I think Deckofficer took the shot from the top of his mast. Great view from up there.
Old 22-04-2012, 03:48   #24

Quote:
Thanks! It's a Panasonic Lumix LX5 with a Leica Summicron lens. A somewhat fancified point & shoot camera. The camera I switched to after I sold all my Leicas and regretfully abandoned chemical photography.

It replaced an apparently identical one I lost when my briefcase was stolen in January. This one produces photos with a different look and feel from the old one. I don't know whether the sensor has been improved, or the software has been changed, but it looks distinctly better for some reason.

The shots are not post-processed at all -- jpegs just as they were produced in the camera.

I like this camera, among many other reasons, because of the lens -- quite fast for this type of camera at F2 and with a zoom lens opening up to 24mm (equivalent). It's of course not made by Leica, but I think it's a Leica design, quite well executed by Panasonic.

The other thing I like is that it fits in a pocket (like my old Leica CL) so is always ready when I see something worth shooting. I'm too busy when sailing to deal with anything bulkier than that.
Thank you for your reply. I was expecting you to say you used a top of the range DSLR. I have never seen such stunning image quality on a point and shoot before. I would buy an LX5 right now but the zoom just isn't enough for me. I need a point and shoot with the same top image quality but with an optical zoom of about 15x. I'm still trying to find 'the one'.
Old 22-04-2012, 04:53   #25

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I was expecting you to say you used a top of the range DSLR. I have never seen such stunning image quality on a point and shoot before. I would buy an LX5 right now but the zoom just isn't enough for me. I need a point and shoot with the same top image quality but with an optical zoom of about 15x. I'm still trying to find 'the one'.
Consider a Canon S95. The Canon S95 is a professional quality point and shoot. Does not have a 15x zoom though. I have used the S90 and S95 for the last three years with good results.

It lets me take 10 times more pictures than if I had a DSLR because the DSLR 1. is bulky to haul around and 2. I always worry about them getting stolen when you set them down. Consequently, you end up not taking a DSLR with you.

The Canon fits in my pocket and goes everywhere!
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 05:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Consider a Canon S95. The Canon S95 is a professional quality point and shoot. Does not have a 15x zoom though. I have used the S90 and S95 for the last three years with good results.

It lets me take 10 times more pictures than if I had a DSLR because the DSLR 1. is bulky to haul around and 2. I always worry about them getting stolen when you set them down. Consequently, you end up not taking a DSLR with you.

The Canon fits in my pocket and goes everywhere!
Thanks but the S95 only has a 3.8x optical zoom. That's way less than the 15x optical zoom that I need in a point and shoot. There are many point and shoots out there with 15x or greater zoom but so far I haven't found anything that can produce the image quality of the picture in the first post. I'll keep looking.
Old 22-04-2012, 18:32   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Thanks but the S95 only has a 3.8x optical zoom. That's way less than the 15x optical zoom that I need in a point and shoot. There are many point and shoots out there with 15x or greater zoom but so far I haven't found anything that can produce the image quality of the picture in the first post. I'll keep looking.
I suspect that there is a direct relationship between extreme zoom range and poor image quality (especially if price is a consideration). You may be looking for a long time!

But if you do find such a beast, please let us all know about it!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 22-04-2012, 18:34   #28

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I think Deckofficer took the shot from the top of his mast. Great view from up there.
Yep, S/V Google Earth, one hell of a tall mast.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote