Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2017, 11:21   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Volos -- unofficial dock manager -

We are in Volos Greece and there is an unofficial harbormaster that works with boats coming in to find places for them and arrange repairs and just helps out.

We asked what he charged and got the typical what ever is appropriate.
wow do I dislike that.

he is arranging a electrician for fix a radio problem and a mechanical guy to cut us 2 plates for under our rear cleats for support. and finding me a dermatologist --

What would you give him when we leave??

thanks
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 11:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Volos -- unofficial dock manager -

Free enterprise at it's best. Pay him well ..... unless you already know everything he knows.
Old 23-07-2017, 11:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

He helps with finding personnel, with finding repairs, with translations, with being available...

I live in Spain and my receptionist recently did this kind of thing for me over and above her salary...She spent a few hours fixing up the issues and followed them through to completion. She is a star in my eyes..

I gave her €100 Euros cash. She was more appreciative of the appreciation than the money...

Here in Spain they dont tip...

If he saved you a bucket of sweat and tears....... its worth it to be appreciative.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 06:46   #4

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Depends on the depth of your pocket, but I would probably give him between 5-10 EU
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 06:51   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Could he take his wife out to dinner on E20 ? if so that would be my tip.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 06:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LOL

If you dont speak the language... a lot of searching.
If you dont know the right electrician... and get the wrong one...€hundreds.
If you dont know the right workshop.... etc same.

He probably knows everyone, cuts to the chase, oversees the job and looks after you.. Priceless.

I would treat him as the foreman...
Old 24-07-2017, 09:45   #7

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

10% of the cost of the services purchased seems reasonable to me.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:45   #8

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Volos -- unofficial dock manager -

100 euro is my tip for doing what this foreman did for you. Anything less I would consider it an insult and give it back to you.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:00   #9

I would guess 100€ is too much unless he has really helped you. My point of reference is that hand-workers, gardeners there expect to earn 30-40€ per DAY
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:43   #10

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

I don't know that any hard and fast rules apply here.

Sure, he's getting you help and finding you labor and supplies - but do you know the cost of those yet? Is he getting you a good deal, or is he setting you up with his brother-in-law, and getting you a not-so-good deal and even getting a kickback from the guy who overcharges you?

I think you'd have to have a pretty good idea what the people he finds for you typically charge to know if you got any real "help" or not.

Hopefully, the guy is legit, is doing you an actual service, and getting you at least a fair deal if not a good deal.

"Caveat Emptor"

I can't speak for Greece, but most places, if you don't have a good command of the language, and do a little shopping around, and aren't afraid to haggle at least a little bit - you'll pay top dollar. It might be even worse if you are viewed as a "rich American with a yacht" (assuming your nationality, pardon).

I like to trust people and always credit them with the best ethics and intentions - but I'm still young. [emoji14]

I'd set my lower limit at the cost of a nice bottle of Ouzo, and my upper at what I'd tip here in the USA - 15-20% of the service provided.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 12:41   #11

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

I once tipped the "end of the dock" guy in Mindelo Cape Verde a couple of frozen tuna loins for similar services rendered. He was quite please and either fed his family unusually well that week or made a few extra escudos.

Different economy, granted, but that worked there.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 16:14   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
I once tipped the "end of the dock" guy in Mindelo Cape Verde a couple of frozen tuna loins for similar services rendered. He was quite please and either fed his family unusually well that week or made a few extra escudos.

Different economy, granted, but that worked there.
If you have no idea how to fix your problem that is your fault. I have no idea how to advise you, just trust the locals. They almost always honest.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 02:42   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

What follows is a rather cynical generalisation about tipping cultures. It's been garnered from 35 years experience of being a tour operator, looking after a wide range of nationalities visiting a wide range of (mainly European) nations.

"Tipping"
is a curiously American culture, largely implemented to ensure service employees receive enough money. Without, they're under-paid, and jobs wouldn't be filled. It also aligns staff interests with owners; more clients increase turnover and tips. 15% to 20% seems the norm in bars and restaurants in busy areas. In USA and Canada, the price you see is not the price you pay.

It's also a remnant in UK, left over from the "master and servant" relationship of the 1930's, re-inforced during the '39 -'45 war by the delightfull habit of American troops adding extra to the listed price. However, minimum wages apply in UK, and it's becoming normal to list a "service included" price. The price you see is the price you pay - especially in a bar. Canny restaurants collecting cash with credit cards often leave an option for a "gratuity" - hoping you forget that service was already included.

Europe is different again. The Euro zone is "the price you see is the price you pay" - if its a registered business. Italian and Greek restaurants and bars often give you more than the menu lists . . . they tip you so you're delighted, and will return. Tipping can be seen as demeaning.

Except in areas where cruise ships roam. There, if you're foreign, tips will be expected. They're used to pay for relatives to visit - to make the place look popular.

Around the Mediterranean shores, there's a large informal economy. Prices aren't mentioned, but small gifts and services are informally exchanged. And you don't know whether the "help" is being paid commission for finding business, or whether he is expecting a service in return. "Backsheesh" is common on the African shores - you won't get clearance without some small bribe.

It's like the boat boys of the Caribbean. Are you paying protection money to avoid damage? If so, you're supporting an unwelcome business. Or do you relish the fresh bread and fruit being delivered to your boat on a paddle board?

It's an interesting dilemna.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 02:46   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
What follows is a rather cynical generalisation about tipping cultures. It's been garnered from 35 years experience of being a tour operator, looking after a wide range of nationalities visiting a wide range of (mainly European) nations.

"Tipping"
is a curiously American culture, largely implemented to ensure service employees receive enough money. Without, they're under-paid, and jobs wouldn't be filled. It also aligns staff interests with owners; more clients increase turnover and tips. 15% to 20% seems the norm in bars and restaurants in busy areas. In USA and Canada, the price you see is not the price you pay.

It's also a remnant in UK, left over from the "master and servant" relationship of the 1930's, re-inforced during the '39 -'45 war by the delightfull habit of American troops adding extra to the listed price. However, minimum wages apply in UK, and it's becoming normal to list a "service included" price. The price you see is the price you pay - especially in a bar. Canny restaurants collecting cash with credit cards often leave an option for a "gratuity" - hoping you forget that service was already included.

Europe is different again. The Euro zone is "the price you see is the price you pay" - if its a registered business. Italian and Greek restaurants and bars often give you more than the menu lists . . . they tip you so you're delighted, and will return. Tipping can be seen as demeaning.

Except in areas where cruise ships roam. There, if you're foreign, tips will be expected. They're used to pay for relatives to visit - to make the place look popular.

Around the Mediterranean shores, there's a large informal economy. Prices aren't mentioned, but small gifts and services are informally exchanged. And you don't know whether the "help" is being paid commission for finding business, or whether he is expecting a service in return. "Backsheesh" is common on the African shores - you won't get clearance without some small bribe.

It's like the boat boys of the Caribbean. Are you paying protection money to avoid damage? If so, you're supporting an unwelcome business. Or do you relish the fresh bread and fruit being delivered to your boat on a paddle board?

It's an interesting dilemna.

JimB
So... how much would you give?
Old 25-07-2017, 03:05   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

Regarding to the common daily payment in Greece , 50 euro is more than enough !!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock