Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 08:46   #16

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Turkish tourist visa changes ?

Based on the last posting by Yeloya, it appears that the immigration authorities in Alanya are differing from the immigration authorities in Marmaris in their translation of the new law. Immigration in Alanya said the 90-days in and 1-day out as done in the past would continue for all countries NOT on that published list. Their interpretation was that only citizens of the countries on that list would be required to follow 90-in and 90-out.

So, now the confusion continues. Hopefully, this will be settled soon. We planned to arrive in Turkey in very early May; have our grandchildren join us mid-June through late August. That would exceed 90 days and we planned to go over to Greece for a few days sometime during the summer to re-set the Turkish visa clock. Hoping this will be settled before we arrive in Turkey so we can arrange a residence visa if that will be required.

It isbeginning to look like we should get the residence visa just to cover all the bases. But that means committing to a marina for winter 2012-2013 earlier than we wanted to do. I had wanted to keep our options open for as long as possible to give us time to explore the Turkish coast and see which area/marina suits us best. Looks like we will be forced into a pre-mature decision.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16   #17

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

I think this thread demonstrates the need for all cruisers to remain flexible and not to expect the same level of clarity or indeed application of rules and regulations from country to country.
Fortunately it's the lack of similar rules and regulations and the continuing need to keep your wits about you, that helps makes travel into foreign lands so enjoyable.
I'm with Yeloya thoughts that it is unlikely for Turkey to do anything to harm it's tourist trade, but it's quite natural for it to protect it's own workforce. I suspect the proposed changes are for that reason, probably escaped the litigators that valuable cruisers could be effected, and once that is twigged, the rules will be adjusted accordingly.
Cheers
John
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28   #18

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Deleted my entry as I misread noonsite!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
This new visa law does not apply to citizens from the UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and most of the EU countries.

For us as USA citizens, Turkish visa rules remain the same as in the past -- 90 days in and we can reset the clock by going to Greece for a day. This was confirmed last week by the Alanya Marina management with a visit to the Antalya Immigration office by members of the UK cruising org.

Judy
Did you hear anything about Canadian citizens? We always get missed in various country lists...

Fyi, we entered Turkey yesterday through Ataturk and they gave us the regular 90-day visas (with a lot of hassle because of trying to pay with TRY )
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Did you hear anything about Canadian citizens? We always get missed in various country lists...

Fyi, we entered Turkey yesterday through Ataturk and they gave us the regular 90-day visas (with a lot of hassle because of trying to pay with TRY )
Katiusha,

After I posted what the authorities in Alanya said, Yeloya talked with authorities in Marmaris. The authorities in the 2 cities are interpreting the new law differently. Based on what Marmaris said, it looks like Turkey will indeed be enforcing 90-in and 90-out rules for everyone. At this point, I don't think any of us have a clear understanding of what immigration rules will apply. Alanya authorities said that people were translating the law incorrectly from Turkish to English. It sounds to me as if the Turks themselves don't know for certain what this new law means and that different ports might enforce the rules differently. That will cause us cruisers who actually do move around to encounter problems. It won't affect those 'cruisers' who sit in the same marina for years on end....they will only have to deal with the interpretation of the authorities in that one port.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23   #21

Re: Turkish Tourist Visa Changes ?

Hey Everyone...
I have been following this forum for a long time to learn things. But I have just registered to say something about this thread.

I am Turkish citizen. So let me tell what is going on. Do not worry about visa regulation changes. My f...ing goverment -probably- changed the regulations just to get some more money. They cannot say "we are raising the visa fees" so they say "we are changing the regulations".

They have been doing same to us for a long time. They keep changing things to suck more money.

I saw a post someone says "Turkey's economy is good".. Yes it is true. How do you think economy is going well. thanks to taxes and REGULATIONS.

I am working on a special bomb which only kills politicians.
trgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:23   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgy View Post
I am working on a special bomb which only kills politicians.
You are in the right place .

Welcome to CF
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You are in the right place .

Welcome to CF
trgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:13   #24

Boat: Bavaria 37

Last news :
Noonsite: Turkey: New Visa Rules starting next month to apply to ALL countries

I got the same informations on the french website stw.fr
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 04:22   #25

Our German friends at the marina are very distraught - they believe that they would not be able to continue getting their pension if they apply for a residence permit here through a marina contract. Reason [they say] is that the Turkish government would have to enquire with the German police (?) during the permit application, and then Germany would stop their pension.

Got this information from our friends, so not sure how correct the above is. But if you've got financial ties with your country's government, it may help to check into this further.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 05:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Our German friends at the marina are very distraught - they believe that they would not be able to continue getting their pension if they apply for a residence permit here through a marina contract. Reason [they say] is that the Turkish government would have to enquire with the German police (?) during the permit application, and then Germany would stop their pension.

Got this information from our friends, so not sure how correct the above is. But if you've got financial ties with your country's government, it may help to check into this further.
Yes, the information is correct, the same would apply to all European citizen who get pension as me. Therefore we move to the Baltic in May or June by truck from Slovenia.

Turkey is too risky and complicated, Greece we did not like, Italy and Croatia are too expensive meanwhile, so nothing is left over in the East Med.
We do not regret, we are looking forward.
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 14:59   #27

This sounds very restrictive. In the USA our 'pension' is called Social Security. Obtaining a residence visa in another country does not affect our right to collect Social Security -- at least not by current rules. A residence visa is simply obtaining permission from another country to remain within that country for a specified period of time. It is not obtaining citizenship in that country or rescinding citizenship in your home country. Sounds like the EU countries are much more restrictive regarding their retirement pensions (Social Security).

Judy
Old 28-01-2012, 15:08   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
This sounds very restrictive. In the USA our 'pension' is called Social Security. Obtaining a residence visa in another country does not affect our right to collect Social Security -- at least not by current rules. A residence visa is simply obtaining permission from another country to remain within that country for a specified period of time. It is not obtaining citizenship in that country or rescinding citizenship in your home country. Sounds like the EU countries are much more restrictive regarding their retirement pensions (Social Security).

Judy

If you qualify for the state pension in an EU country you do not loose it by living elsewhere. You may loose aspects of it, ie those that relate to specific benefits which are payable because you live there ( housing entitlements, etc). Some people of course habe never informed that authorities that they have actually left and hence the concern

Dave
Old 28-01-2012, 21:38   #29

What I said above applies only outside the EU but not within the EU, within I can move anywhere without reducing my pension.
Joefloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 03:30   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you qualify for the state pension in an EU country you do not loose it by living elsewhere. You may loose aspects of it, ie those that relate to specific benefits which are payable because you live there ( housing entitlements, etc). Some people of course habe never informed that authorities that they have actually left and hence the concern

Dave
I can't remember exactly what folk in the UK (and here) lose by being abroad (and for the UK I think the rules differ between EU, Non Eu and Commonweath countries?).

Have always found it a bit strange - would have thought that "exporting" old folks would be a net gain to the exchequer, from saving money on housing benefits / residential care and even NHS costs (most folks won't be coming back to UK for GP visits or hospital treatment for minor ailments - and others won't make it back (in time!) for anything major / expensive )......indeed, giving oldies a bonus for leaving the UK would seem to make sense .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote