Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 14:36   #31
Registered User
 
Katiusha's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohat View Post
Any experiences, sources or recommendations for catamaran charters would be much appreciated. There seems to be to many to choose from! If they are all good I suppose its not a problem. If they are mostly bad it's a crap shoot.
Try contacting yeloya - a member on this forum. He runs a very good FP charter business out of Marmaris. That's his website: http://www.offshore-sailing.net/offshoremarina.phtml
I'm sure there are others...
__________________

__________________
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:39   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Turkey
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35
Posts: 26
Re: Turkey sailing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohat View Post
Any experiences, sources or recommendations for catamaran charters would be much appreciated. There seems to be to many to choose from! If they are all good I suppose its not a problem. If they are mostly bad it's a crap shoot.
Check the usual ones like Sunsail etc. but also check the below.

http://www.offshore-sailing.net/

This is better managed, have their own marina(kind of) and also partners (sort of) with Jeanneau Turkey. So they have a sound base, not just a one office chartering company. Could be slightly high priced as well.
__________________

__________________
sycankiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 11:17   #33
Registered User
 
sahil's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Turkey
Boat: Vector. SAS 39
Posts: 24
Re: Turkey sailing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
The best way to go. We haven't ventured north of Yalikavak on the fear of fish farms seen from the plane and the road. Do you find it a problem when sailing that area?
Hi Katiusha,

Haven't really had a problem with fish farms as, over the last couple of years, the local authorities have been trying to regulate them.

There is one massive array of fish keeping tanks etc just south of the Kazikli inlet. Very visible.

There are still a few (not so legal) small fish farms but not, thankfully in the places that we would want to go.

Great area north of the Bodrum peninsula. Come north and enjoy. The Coast Watch boats are very friendly and polite!
__________________
sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 21:38   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Waterloo, Canada
Posts: 14
Re: Turkey sailing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post
Hi Rohat, welcome to the site. There are plenty of people with lots more experience in this area than me, but as nobody else has picked up the challenge yet, here goes.

Yes July is very hot, we were there all over last summer and will be headed back there next week. Will you need A/C at night? That depends on your tolerence levels I guess. We have a power boat and it does have A/C but we never ran it at night, but then we are from Oz and used to a bit of hot weather.

If you just have a week, I would suggest Bodrum or Marmaris as a start and then head for the gulfs of Hisaronu and Yesilova, about in the middle of Bodrum and Marmaris. Fantastic cruising area, lots of anchorages, our favourite area.

The Gocek & Fethiye area is also very nice but all the anchorages were crowded and all seemed to be stern to, which with a inexperienced crew and a short time to learn, may raise the tension if there is any breeze about, unless the wife is happy to jump in the tender and drag a line ashore.

Have not chartered so can't help with the rest. There are a plethora of charter companies there and in general the people are great, so I don't think there should be a problem with crewed or bareboat.

One final point, if you are considering a crewed charter for 5 - 7 days, you might want to look into a gulet, best of all worlds for a short cruise and they know all the good spots.


Thanks for reply. I think have setteled on a cat to appeal to all in the family. How long is the sail from Bodrum to Hisaronu and Yesilova? I think this is the area we would like to be and maybe it's easier leaving from Marmaris with more stops along the way. I have found some good boats leaving Bodrum but I think Marmaris would be more family friendly sailing with short sails and lots to see. What is your opinion?
__________________
rohat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 21:52   #35
YOG
Registered User
 
YOG's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto On
Boat: Bristol 40
Posts: 64
Re: Turkey sailing questions

Cappadocia is fine in the summer - many cool valleys full of vineyards and chilly underground cities! It is breathtaking, particularly the parks. Oh & Dalaman & region are spectacular too.

Naturally tour companies exist - but rent a car, much more fun! The coaches, though, are extremely comfortable and have stewards who serve treats!

PS I'm Canadian. Not sure if I get the earlier comment re. my country-folk - in Toronto we're used to steamy heat, 36, 37, 38 C plus humidex, for months on end. Incidentally, we're sailing, leaving next month, to Turkey. Hope to stay a year.

Have fun!
__________________
YOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 11:54   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Netsel, Marmaris
Boat: Selene 59
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohat View Post

Thanks for reply. I think have setteled on a cat to appeal to all in the family. How long is the sail from Bodrum to Hisaronu and Yesilova? I think this is the area we would like to be and maybe it's easier leaving from Marmaris with more stops along the way. I have found some good boats leaving Bodrum but I think Marmaris would be more family friendly sailing with short sails and lots to see. What is your opinion?
Hi Rohat,
Hisaronu and Yesilova are approximately 50nm from Bodrum and 40nm from Marmaris. Having said that, it depends on where in those Gulfs you will be going. Also, although both are achievable in a days sail, it is not necessary to do so if you don't want to, there are plenty of anchorages along the way.
Cheers Brownie
__________________
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:05   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Netsel, Marmaris
Boat: Selene 59
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post

Hi Rohat,
Hisaronu and Yesilova are approximately 50nm from Bodrum and 40nm from Marmaris. Having said that, it depends on where in those Gulfs you will be going. Also, although both are achievable in a days sail, it is not necessary to do so if you don't want to, there are plenty of anchorages along the way.
Cheers Brownie
Sorry, I forgot to answer your last point. Both Bodrum and Marmaris are great places and all Turkey is family friendly. We are based in Marmaris and love it there, swimming beaches within walking distance of Netsel marina (good pool in Netsel too), a water park for the kids, lots of shopping for Mum and lots of restaurants for Dad to treat the rest of the family!!
Cheers Brownie
__________________
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:59   #38
Ram
Registered User
 
Ram's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cruising Greece
Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Posts: 2,298
Images: 27
Re: Turkey sailing questions


Here is a shore trip inside Turkey I took a few years ago
__________________
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 11:50   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Waterloo, Canada
Posts: 14
Re: Turkey sailing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena Vista View Post
Sorry, I forgot to answer your last point. Both Bodrum and Marmaris are great places and all Turkey is family friendly. We are based in Marmaris and love it there, swimming beaches within walking distance of Netsel marina (good pool in Netsel too), a water park for the kids, lots of shopping for Mum and lots of restaurants for Dad to treat the rest of the family!!
Cheers Brownie

Thoughts on Gocek anyone?
__________________
rohat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 05:28   #40
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK winter, Greece summer
Boat: Charter vessels!
Posts: 314
Gocek

Loads of nearby anchorages with lots of short hops between them. Follow the links from the page to see the detailed charts of anchorages. The area is completely geared to yacht charter, and at times the anchorages can become quite busy.
__________________

__________________
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sailing, Turkey

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.