Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 00:04   #1
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: between boats
Posts: 808
Turkey most expensive in Europe

In case you were wondering -

We have cruised the med from Spain through France, Italy, Croatia Greece and now turkey past 3 summers and until now the most expensive night in a marina berth quoted had been Dubrovnik in Croatia at a pretty hefty 130 euro per night for our 12m cat.

Well move over Dubrovnik and welcome Bodrum marina to top of our pops with a hefty 180 euro plus water plus power plus wifi. According to them thats pretty much in line with other turkish marinas this year. Far more than places like Venice, French riviera, beleriacs and sardinia - the traditionally pretty expensive places to take a berth. We were pretty surprised so just in case you thought otherwise too thats the story this year.

Dont get me wrong - Turkey is still a great place to cruise and still relatively cheap everywhere except the marinas and yards but the constant 30 odd % yearly prices rises are really starting to bite if you use marinas (and with the pump out laws you do have to visit from time to time)

cheers
barra
__________________

__________________
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:02   #2
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,327
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Well the Med is sounding less expensive than I expected since that price would be fairly normal for the NE USA.

On the other hand it gives me hope to know the rest of the world must be less.
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:27   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well the Med is sounding less expensive than I expected since that price would be fairly normal for the NE USA.

On the other hand it gives me hope to know the rest of the world must be less.

It makes roughly 250 USD per night for 12 meter boat, water, electricity, wi-fi etc. not included. Just a berth. Didn't expect US marinas are so expensive...
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:27   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltic Sea / Kiel Canal
Posts: 286
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

...that 's hefty, they calculate on square meter base of 1,85Euro/day
Gib on the other hand is quite cheaper...they only add 50% on meter base for Multis.
__________________
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:33   #5
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,327
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
It makes roughly 250 USD per night for 12 meter boat, water, electricity, wi-fi etc. not included. Just a berth. Didn't expect US marinas are so expensive...
well my online calculator said that 130 EURO was $177 US, if you say it is $250 all bets are off
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:55   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
DoubleWhisky's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home at Warsaw, Poland, boat in Eastern Med
Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Posts: 1,841
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
well my online calculator said that 130 EURO was $177 US, if you say it is $250 all bets are off

130 was cited in OP for Dubrovnik (most expensive in Croatia)
Bodrum (Turkey) was 180 Euro (X 1,37 it's close to 250 USD) water, power and wi-fi not included.

Anyway - US marinas are not cheap, I understand
__________________
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 06:34   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,890
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Don't worry about cruising the US east coast, $177-250 translates to around $4.50-6.50/ft. Unless you are in truely prime location (aka manhantten) prices are usually much lower.

$2-3/ft is much more common and if you shop around $1-1.50 isn't uncommon (though it typically won't be in a prime location).
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 07:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Marmaris
Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hlia 2013, Catana C 47 2013
Posts: 1,033
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
In case you were wondering -

We have cruised the med from Spain through France, Italy, Croatia Greece and now turkey past 3 summers and until now the most expensive night in a marina berth quoted had been Dubrovnik in Croatia at a pretty hefty 130 euro per night for our 12m cat.

Well move over Dubrovnik and welcome Bodrum marina to top of our pops with a hefty 180 euro plus water plus power plus wifi. According to them thats pretty much in line with other turkish marinas this year. Far more than places like Venice, French riviera, beleriacs and sardinia - the traditionally pretty expensive places to take a berth. We were pretty surprised so just in case you thought otherwise too thats the story this year.

Dont get me wrong - Turkey is still a great place to cruise and still relatively cheap everywhere except the marinas and yards but the constant 30 odd % yearly prices rises are really starting to bite if you use marinas (and with the pump out laws you do have to visit from time to time)

cheers
barra
You didn't mention, but I assume you are talking about Bodrum Milta marina. This is probably the most expensive one in Turkey; you simply sail 10 nm to the west to Turgut Reis, you'd pay 30-40 % less, 5 nm further up up, another 10 % less in Yalıkavak.
Milta is in the middle of the city and has a lot of request from people (mostly local motor yachts) who are ready to pay whatever price they are asked. If this is what you wanted, you pay for it, otherwise, you simply stay away..
Turgut Reis or Yalıkavak is 45-50 min drive to the center, that's why they are cheaper..

You may find similar prices in some marinas in Gek, so now you are warned, pls check the prices upfront..

Cheers

Yeloya
__________________
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 09:19   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,335
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Turkey has come a long way from the good old days of 7 euro at night at Yatmarin.
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 09:26   #10
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Turkey has come a long way from the good old days of 7 euro at night at Yatmarin.
A very long way , I was in Gocek last year, wow big difference from 15 years ago.


dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 09:37   #11
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: between boats
Posts: 808
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Thanks yeloya that's good to know we have seen the worst early on. We didnt stay - just pumped out for 20 euro ( what a rort!) And left for cokertme for free restaurant berth that night☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 12:23   #12
Marine Service Provider
 
NornaBiron's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greece
Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Posts: 645
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

We've just enquired about marina prices for a 14.6m monohull for one week in the Marmaris area. Prices varied from €590 in Netsel(!) to €210 in Yat Marin, but on the outside of their wave break pontoon! Water and electricity extra in both places. We've found a lovely hotel that will do a deal much cheaper and allow us to use all facilities included.
__________________
Sail repairs by cruisers for cruisers
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 12:33   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,974
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Yup, prices at marinas just keep going up in Turkey although everything else is cheap. Winter rates are still OK but the best bet is to head to Greece sometime in June as Turkey is no longer the cheap seats!
__________________
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 12:49   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,391
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
130 was cited in OP for Dubrovnik (most expensive in Croatia)
Bodrum (Turkey) was 180 Euro (X 1,37 it's close to 250 USD) water, power and wi-fi not included.

Anyway - US marinas are not cheap, I understand
Depends. Prices are hugely different from area to area in the USA. My boat is +/- 13 Meters. The cheapest I could find in New England (that is the area north of New York up to Maine in case you are not familiar with the term) was $125/night plus water and electric. In north Florida I have found marinas as cheap as $400/month.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 13:25   #15
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Depends. Prices are hugely different from area to area in the USA. My boat is +/- 13 Meters. The cheapest I could find in New England (that is the area north of New York up to Maine in case you are not familiar with the term) was $125/night plus water and electric. In north Florida I have found marinas as cheap as $400/month.
St. Petersburg, FL municipal marina rates are competitive. My 30 footer as a non-resident of St. Pete's was 386/month. You are a block off great restaurants, 2 blocks from the Dali museum, and lots of quirky shops and bars. That part of St. Pete's has quickly become my favorite area in the Tampa Bay area.

Our Rates

I'm shocked to read the prices in the eastern Med. I can see it being a significant disincentive for many.
__________________

__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Europe, rope, Turkey

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the Nicest, Most Elegant, Most Posh Marina You've Been To? floridajoe General Sailing Forum 61 18-01-2015 17:29
What was the most important or most interesting ... Rakuflames General Sailing Forum 25 24-09-2012 20:52
Shipping from Europe (Mainland) to Europe (St. Martin) Question Zanshin Atlantic & the Caribbean 19 16-02-2010 20:57
What Do You Miss the Most? What Do You Like the Most? sww914 Liveaboard's Forum 21 22-12-2009 10:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.