Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 13:15   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We've just enquired about marina prices for a 14.6m monohull for one week in the Marmaris area. Prices varied from €590 in Netsel(!) to €210 in Yat Marin, but on the outside of their wave break pontoon! Water and electricity extra in both places. We've found a lovely hotel that will do a deal much cheaper and allow us to use all facilities included.
I'm tied up to Yeloya's quay right now. No idea what it costs but in my opinion you would be foolish to not come here. The staff is excellent, the food great, and Atila (Yeloya) is a fantastic person to drink a beer with. I'll post a few thoughts about our stay in Turkey and at his marina in a week or two but in short it couldn't have been better.
Old 24-06-2014, 13:44   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Depends. Prices are hugely different from area to area in the USA. My boat is +/- 13 Meters. The cheapest I could find in New England (that is the area north of New York up to Maine in case you are not familiar with the term) was $125/night plus water and electric. In north Florida I have found marinas as cheap as $400/month.
Skipmac, You're overstating the costs. I just looked at Rockland, ME slips. They were $2.25/ft. or $30/day for a mooring. The area you are picking, New England, most boats (and visitors/transients) use moorings. We stayed on a mooring last summer in down town Boston for $45 a night. Great deal. Stayed near NYC on Long Island on a mooring for free.
Old 24-06-2014, 14:07   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Skipmac, You're overstating the costs. I just looked at Rockland, ME slips. They were $2.25/ft. or $30/day for a mooring. The area you are picking, New England, most boats (and visitors/transients) use moorings. We stayed on a mooring last summer in down town Boston for $45 a night. Great deal. Stayed near NYC on Long Island on a mooring for free.
Sorry I was posting quickly and stated a couple of generalities so let me clarify.

First I was identifying the total area of New England for an overseas poster. I am not surprised that a slip in ME can be cheaper. I had to keep my boat in southern New England so should have specified I checked slip costs from SW MA to central CT. Also I was referring to the cost for a dock at a marina, not a mooring. On that basis, for transient rates, if I recall, slips were $2.50/ft/day and up. For my 42' Pearson after electric and taxes that was around $125 per night.

I checked at one marina in Essex CT. Half the slips were empty. I had been on a mooring or anchored but thought it would be convenient to stay at the dock for a couple of days while loading up to head south. Marina quoted me the $125/night. I pointed out that I had spent several days in a motel down the road for $85 including HBO, kitchenette, showers (he had none), plus he was half empty and offered him $85. He said no so I stayed at anchor.

So based on central New England and costs for a marina I don't think I am overstating the costs at all. If you know of any marinas in that part of New England for less I'm all ears.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 14:36   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
....including HBO...
I wonder if the OP slip in Turkey included HBO For that price, it should. Worse place I've been hit with slip fees was in Key West, FL, but we don't use marinas much.
Old 24-06-2014, 14:45   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I wonder if the OP slip in Turkey included HBO For that price, it should. Worse place I've been hit with slip fees was in Key West, FL, but we don't use marinas much.
For that price I would want hot and cold running maids.
Old 25-06-2014, 02:17   #21

Boat: between boats

No HBO and no maids either - just the ubiquitous uniformed subservient arse lickers that people of a certain type that like using marinas like these seem to appreciate. Ie big stink boaters☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 04:47   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'm tied up to Yeloya's quay right now. No idea what it costs but in my opinion you would be foolish to not come here. The staff is excellent, the food great, and Atila (Yeloya) is a fantastic person to drink a beer with. I'll post a few thoughts about our stay in Turkey and at his marina in a week or two but in short it couldn't have been better.
After a bit of investigation I've worked out where you are. We're anchored off the town at the moment awaiting delivery of our bimini frame by taxi boat. We've managed to do a deal with a hotel to use their pontoon whilst we fit new davits and a new windlass, unfortunately we can't do either of those things whilst on the anchor - we would if we could!
Old 25-06-2014, 14:26   #23

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Turkey most expensive in Europe? Definitely not, Italy's overflowing with far more expensive places: We were anchored off Porto Cervo Marina in NE Sardinia in August 2005 (almost ten years ago!) and I got chatting to one of their Marinieros who advised: "The minimum charge-band is up to 12 metres (40 feet) and in high season, the cost without electric or water is €297/night." Which must be what? About $390 or $10/foot per night.

Even more gobsmacking was his response to my comment that 'I would never consider paying that sort of money for a night's mooring': He grinned and said "well that's lucky, because even if you did, there are no empty berths, if you want a place here during July and August, you needed to have reserved it before Christmas and preferably back in November." I've no idea what they charge nowadays, but I'm fairly confident that it won't have got cheaper!

Back to the original point regarding Turkish marinas; yes there are one or two which are expensive in high-season, but the simple answer is, just don't use them; we spent the best part of two years in Turkish waters and other than winter berths at Yat Marin in Marmaris, we never once paid for a night's mooring anywhere. Look/ask around and you'll find ten year's worth of great anchorages and free mooring buoys and quays to choose from.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 12:35   #24

I'm comparing June prices in Sardinia to June in bodrum and sorry but Porto cervo was 120 last year so quite a bit off my top price at least. Yes in true high season it gets truely stupid there but as you say just don't go there. (Prices have come off their highs in italy too)

Yes there are many many anchorages in turkey but for many like us its a surprise how much the marinas are hence the post. There is a perception that turkey is a cheap cruising destination still in the med and I'm sorry to say that is changing at a very rapid rate from what I've seen so far. The blue cards make marina visits a must now and unless you want to do what we did and visit pump out and then get hasseled to leave then the marina cost is a part of the deal these days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-06-2014, 18:35   #25

Boat: Jaguar 27

Those rates sound silly!

I have visited Turkey for over 20 years and lived there for four. I am now a tourist again when I visit. I can stay in a top five-star hotel, all-inclusive (i.e. unlimited food and drinks) for under US$30 per night. It makes no sense to charge so much for marina fees, except.....

Turkey has one of the biggest income differentials in the World - the difference between the highest and lowest earners - and things are priced accordingly. A person travelling by yacht will be assumed to be rich and charged accordingly. Even petrol (gasoline) is expensive because most people don't have cars - they are considered a luxury. To buy a car, I believe, the purchase tax is still 60% for the same reason.

So welcome to Turkey! If you are foreign and travel by yacht, you will likely pay heavily because there is a cultural and legal assumption that you are rich.

In twenty years time things will be different.

Tim.
timmillea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 01:15   #26

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

We are staying in a marina near Istanbul, West Istanbul Marina and it is a little less than 30 euros a day. 6 month winter storage is 2000 euro.

Jim Thomsen
www.tenayatravels.com
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 12:20   #27

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Depends. Prices are hugely different from area to area in the USA. My boat is +/- 13 Meters. The cheapest I could find in New England (that is the area north of New York up to Maine in case you are not familiar with the term) was $125/night plus water and electric. In north Florida I have found marinas as cheap as $400/month.
Yep. Mee too, though I have found reasonable rates in Rhode Island. I'm currently paying only $600/mth, which is literally a third of everyplace else.

I love Turkey and the people, but sad to say, I think this is more about politics than cruisers.

Hope I'm wrong.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 13:40   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
Yep. Mee too, though I have found reasonable rates in Rhode Island. I'm currently paying only $600/mth, which is literally a third of everyplace else.

I love Turkey and the people, but sad to say, I think this is more about politics than cruisers.

Hope I'm wrong.
That's a deal for RI. I spent a couple of weeks looking and ended with a mooring in Bristol that wasn't too much cheaper than that. Plus it was over 2 miles from my mooring to the dinghy dock and I was commuting to CT every day so had a pretty long drive.

Probably won't be back but just in case, is the location a secret? I personally wouldn't tell for fear every bum nice boater on the forum would fill the place up.
Old 27-07-2014, 22:03   #29

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

you guys need luxury - expect to pay .....
I just got back from Turkey - never needed a marina - only time I did was to top up diesel and water. We have anchored outside the port every time and used the tender - all that lovely cash was used to enjoy the cheap (not near the tourists) shops and pay minimal fees to visit the cultural sites. Setur Marina's have a set fee structure that is EXPENSIVE ! Alanya is private (local owners) and about 1/2 price.
This concept of charging catamarans more does not affect me unless I haul out !
AVOID WASTE - and spend your money where it counts - with the general population of Turkey - nice people to deal with.
Old 27-07-2014, 22:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissteyn View Post
you guys need luxury - expect to pay .....
I just got back from Turkey - never needed a marina - only time I did was to top up diesel and water. We have anchored outside the port every time and used the tender - all that lovely cash was used to enjoy the cheap (not near the tourists) shops and pay minimal fees to visit the cultural sites. Setur Marina's have a set fee structure that is EXPENSIVE ! Alanya is private (local owners) and about 1/2 price.
This concept of charging catamarans more does not affect me unless I haul out !
AVOID WASTE - and spend your money where it counts - with the general population of Turkey - nice people to deal with.
We didnt actually stay in a marina either the whole time we were there after our shock at bodrum. Agree its easy to do in turkey with all the natural anchorages compared to say french riviera.

But what did you do about the blue card and the pump out requirements if you never visited a marina???

Tags
Europe, rope, Turkey