Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 04:55   #91
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post

Why dont you compare Turkey with Thailand marina prices due to its more equal cost of living? I payed 9 Euro per night in a first class marina in Thailand for 12x4 m with truly superb service. I still dont understand why Turkey is that expensive and marinas are certainly not so full to justify a high price. Anyway ....
How can you compare Tailand to Turkey ??
First of all the cost of living in Turkey and Tailand are not comparable at all. If you take the ratio of PPP (purchasing power parity) and GNI (gross national income) of both countries , Turkey GNI (per capita) app. 11.000 USD and PPP of 19.000 USD whereas Tailand has GNI 5.500 USD vs. 15.000 USD PPP. So, with almost half of income they have almost as high purchasing power which means cost of living there is less than half of Turkey.
Moreover, at least for Turkey the cost of people in marina management is a very small portion of costs. The marinas here are paying huge rentals (practically, all coast lines in Turkey belongs to State, you cannot own these lands, but just rent for 49 years from the government) and taxes to government which for example is not the case in Greece..
And lastly, Thailand is Tailand, Turkey is Turkey and France is France. If you want to go to Tailand because the marinas are cheaper, you may go..

PS. most marina's charge 1.5 for cats.. at least the ones I've been in around the world

Phil, this is not true for Turkey, in every marina here you pay per sqm, hence overall length by beam.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:12   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

PS. most marina's charge 1.5 for cats.. at least the ones I've been in around the world

Phil, this is not true for Turkey, in every marina here you pay per sqm, hence overall length by beam.

Cheers

Yeloya
Yeloya.. the only Cat I've sailed in Turkey was a Catalac9 which I delivered to Pendik in '07..
To the best of my recollection that was what was charged.. mind it was a new marina then and only about 1/3rd full..
Things may have changed there as well over the last few years.. Progress huh..
But it was a spectacular marina.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:20   #93
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yeloya.. the only Cat I've sailed in Turkey was a Catalac9 which I delivered to Pendik in '07..
To the best of my recollection that was what was charged.. mind it was a new marina then and only about 1/3rd full..
Things may have changed there as well over the last few years.. Progress huh..
But it was a spectacular marina.
Just checked my records.. and it was 2010.. feels much longer ago than that..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope, Turkey